• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shout! Factory, Anime Limited Reveal Details, Trailer for Bartender Anime Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
I wish they had dubbed this, but I guess it's too niche a title for that. I'll be sure to pick it up sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quote
"Would you like a tipple?" Where was this localized?

The live-action pushes the relationship between Ryuu and Miwa a bit more than the anime.

Quote:
"The manga inspired a live-action television adaptation starring Ryū Sasakura that debuted in Japan in January 2011."

Actually Sasakura Ryuu is the main character. In the live-action version Ryuu is portrayed by idol Aiba Masaki.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

In the UK. Anime Limited is the company that licensed Bartender; Shout! Factory is just helping distribute it in North America.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish they had dubbed this, but I guess it's too niche a title for that. I'll be sure to pick it up sometime.
It looks like a dialogue heavy show, so I agree.
Password_Is_Mattress

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I understand that the idea that a sub-only release will do for a niche show. But at the same time, dubs are a great way to help boost a show's marketability. I have no problem reading subs, but I prefer dubs, and I'm much less likely to buy this knowing it isn't dubbed.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I think people complaining about a lack of a dub are forgetting this is a UK license that's just being released over here through a special deal. Maybe they could have worked something out to contract a US dubbing studio but it was probably beyond Anime Limited's abilities to make it happen after this deal was kind of quickly put together. If people wanted a dub, the US companies should have licensed it directly themselves instead of going through this roundabout way.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:49 pm Reply with quote
There's no possible way a Bartender dub would have ever been a good idea financially. I'm not anti-dub, but there's a point where it just doesn't make sense to spend money on dubbing an anime all about personal stories that require the touch of a bartender & his drinks to help resolve, especially one that's nearly 15 years old.

Sure, I'm sure an English dub could have been really cool, but not once did I ever expect Anime Limited or Shout! Factory to produce one for this show.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'm actually glad the show is finally getting released here at all. I never cared for dubs (with a few slight exceptions) as I considered them to be a facade of the original presentation.

My biggest concern for this show was that they wouldn't be able to clear the trademarks for most of the real commercial liquor that was depicted in it. That doesn't look to be the case anymore unless the trailer isn't telling us the whole story.

Plus, the boxset with the coasters and drink recipes is a nice touch! Very Happy
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If people wanted a dub, the US companies should have licensed it directly themselves instead of going through this roundabout way.

This show is almost 15 years old, it wasn't getting dubbed regardless.
otokouno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I got too excited and thought they are making another season or doing a reboot. The old anime was too short imo!
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

In the UK. Anime Limited is the company that licensed Bartender; Shout! Factory is just helping distribute it in North America.

I don't speak Japanese, but I suspect this was a difficult line to translate. I prefer Lunar's fansub which used the more generic "Do you like spirits?," but even that isn't especially colloquial. "Do you like to drink?" would probably work in the US, but whether "drink" implies alcohol in other parts of the world where this release might be distributed, I don't know.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
My biggest concern for this show was that they wouldn't be able to clear the trademarks for most of the real commercial liquor that was depicted in it. That doesn't look to be the case anymore unless the trailer isn't telling us the whole story.

I always suspected that this show was subsidized by some group like the Japan Liquor Industry Council or perhaps the Japan Wines and Spirits Importers' Association given the prevalence of foreign brands in most episodes.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

I don't speak Japanese, but I suspect this was a difficult line to translate. I prefer Lunar's fansub which used the more generic "Do you like spirits?," but even that isn't especially colloquial. "Do you like to drink?" would probably work in the US, but whether "drink" implies alcohol in other parts of the world where this release might be distributed, I don't know.

Well, he literally just asks, "do you like alcohol?" and then lists, as example, some situations where people tend to enjoy specific alcoholic beverages, like a beer after bath, etc. But this is typically the sort of line that translators tend to overthink, and a certain kind of translator tends to go wild with. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(That said, "Do you like spirits" is waaayyy too specific, since beer, for example, is not a spirit. Also, English is not my first language but "Do you like to drink?" may be offensive, in that it might suggest that the person likes to get drunk... But even so, I'd rather have that, or something along the lines of "do you enjoy drinking?" But again, I suppose a native speaker could come up with something more natural-sounding.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1