Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shout! Factory, Anime Limited Reveal Details, Trailer for Bartender Anime Release




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8021
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
I wish they had dubbed this, but I guess it's too niche a title for that. I'll be sure to pick it up sometime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
yuna49



Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 3263
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quote
"Would you like a tipple?" Where was this localized?

The live-action pushes the relationship between Ryuu and Miwa a bit more than the anime.

Quote:
"The manga inspired a live-action television adaptation starring Ryū Sasakura that debuted in Japan in January 2011."

Actually Sasakura Ryuu is the main character. In the live-action version Ryuu is portrayed by idol Aiba Masaki.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1832
Location: North Brunswick, New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
"Would you like a tipple?" Where was this localized?


In the UK. Anime Limited is the company that licensed Bartender; Shout! Factory is just helping distribute it in North America.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3949
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish they had dubbed this, but I guess it's too niche a title for that. I'll be sure to pick it up sometime.
It looks like a dialogue heavy show, so I agree.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Password_Is_Mattress



Joined: 04 Sep 2020
Posts: 3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I understand that the idea that a sub-only release will do for a niche show. But at the same time, dubs are a great way to help boost a show's marketability. I have no problem reading subs, but I prefer dubs, and I'm much less likely to buy this knowing it isn't dubbed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cardcaptor Takato



Joined: 27 Jan 2018
Posts: 2916
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I think people complaining about a lack of a dub are forgetting this is a UK license that's just being released over here through a special deal. Maybe they could have worked something out to contract a US dubbing studio but it was probably beyond Anime Limited's abilities to make it happen after this deal was kind of quickly put together. If people wanted a dub, the US companies should have licensed it directly themselves instead of going through this roundabout way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Geo



Joined: 18 Sep 2005
Posts: 1832
Location: North Brunswick, New Jersey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:49 pm Reply with quote
There's no possible way a Bartender dub would have ever been a good idea financially. I'm not anti-dub, but there's a point where it just doesn't make sense to spend money on dubbing an anime all about personal stories that require the touch of a bartender & his drinks to help resolve, especially one that's nearly 15 years old.

Sure, I'm sure an English dub could have been really cool, but not once did I ever expect Anime Limited or Shout! Factory to produce one for this show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1687
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'm actually glad the show is finally getting released here at all. I never cared for dubs (with a few slight exceptions) as I considered them to be a facade of the original presentation.

My biggest concern for this show was that they wouldn't be able to clear the trademarks for most of the real commercial liquor that was depicted in it. That doesn't look to be the case anymore unless the trailer isn't telling us the whole story.

Plus, the boxset with the coasters and drink recipes is a nice touch! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
NJ_



Joined: 31 Oct 2009
Posts: 2257
Location: Wallington, NJ
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
If people wanted a dub, the US companies should have licensed it directly themselves instead of going through this roundabout way.


This show is almost 15 years old, it wasn't getting dubbed regardless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
otokouno



Joined: 20 Jul 2009
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I got too excited and thought they are making another season or doing a reboot. The old anime was too short imo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yuna49



Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 3263
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
"Would you like a tipple?" Where was this localized?

In the UK. Anime Limited is the company that licensed Bartender; Shout! Factory is just helping distribute it in North America.

I don't speak Japanese, but I suspect this was a difficult line to translate. I prefer Lunar's fansub which used the more generic "Do you like spirits?," but even that isn't especially colloquial. "Do you like to drink?" would probably work in the US, but whether "drink" implies alcohol in other parts of the world where this release might be distributed, I don't know.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
My biggest concern for this show was that they wouldn't be able to clear the trademarks for most of the real commercial liquor that was depicted in it. That doesn't look to be the case anymore unless the trailer isn't telling us the whole story.

I always suspected that this show was subsidized by some group like the Japan Liquor Industry Council or perhaps the Japan Wines and Spirits Importers' Association given the prevalence of foreign brands in most episodes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHD



Joined: 05 Apr 2015
Posts: 608
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
"Would you like a tipple?" Where was this localized?

In the UK. Anime Limited is the company that licensed Bartender; Shout! Factory is just helping distribute it in North America.

I don't speak Japanese, but I suspect this was a difficult line to translate. I prefer Lunar's fansub which used the more generic "Do you like spirits?," but even that isn't especially colloquial. "Do you like to drink?" would probably work in the US, but whether "drink" implies alcohol in other parts of the world where this release might be distributed, I don't know.

Well, he literally just asks, "do you like alcohol?" and then lists, as example, some situations where people tend to enjoy specific alcoholic beverages, like a beer after bath, etc. But this is typically the sort of line that translators tend to overthink, and a certain kind of translator tends to go wild with. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(That said, "Do you like spirits" is waaayyy too specific, since beer, for example, is not a spirit. Also, English is not my first language but "Do you like to drink?" may be offensive, in that it might suggest that the person likes to get drunk... But even so, I'd rather have that, or something along the lines of "do you enjoy drinking?" But again, I suppose a native speaker could come up with something more natural-sounding.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group