• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Drifting Dragons Anime Reveals English Dub Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjbraden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:55 pm Reply with quote
So wait, Sentai's still using the existing Netflix dub as they said earlier this week, right? https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/1486057517092249600?s=20
The article here makes it out like the Netflix cast is returning to do a redub for them.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's nice to see they didn't have to recast this one.
anime-prime

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:26 pm Reply with quote
wjbraden wrote:
So wait, Sentai's still using the existing Netflix dub as they said earlier this week, right? https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/1486057517092249600?s=20
The article here makes it out like the Netflix cast is returning to do a redub for them.
It's the same dub. The article is a little weirdly worded, and I am not sure why they emphasized the reveal aspect when the cast list was already known, but whatever. I would have titled it like "Sentai announces they will use the pre-existing Netflix dub for the Blu-Ray." But I am sure ANN has their reasons for wording it like that.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:56 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't seem like the actual case here, but I have wondered if there was anything stopping Sentai from making a new dub of a Netflix anime with the same Netflix cast - I assume it would be cheaper do do in-house, but at least that would relive some of the issues a release like Kakegurui had.

Glad they were able to secure the Netflix dub for this one, it was pretty solid. Kind of a bummer it seems like Sentai can only do so for their lest popular Netflix rescues though.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:58 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
It doesn't seem like the actual case here, but I have wondered if there was anything stopping Sentai from making a new dub of a Netflix anime with the same Netflix cast - I assume it would be cheaper do do in-house, but at least that would relive some of the issues a release like Kakegurui had.

I think the big hurdle would be a lack of enthusiasm from the voice cast as some voice actors consider it insulting to have to re-record their lines for a show they already dubbed.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:53 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

I think the big hurdle would be a lack of enthusiasm from the voice cast as some voice actors consider it insulting to have to re-record their lines for a show they already dubbed.

If they aregetting paid I don't think they would mind, but I do not think Sentai has the money to do a redub at all.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:56 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Nah most will just take the work honestly! Plus it's a chance for a round 2 at a performance! That's a rare opportunity!

But yeah I wonder what kinda cheap deal Netflix cut Sentai with this one? Popularity can't be it surely. They redubbed Hero Mask after all! Maybe after so many redubs Netflix finally caved and said fine w/e.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1