• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tytania (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Descent123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much the Today's Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Tytania was created by the same staff of the LOGH OVA series (same creator, same director, and more big names in the anime world). Link

So far by watching the first episode it's mostly LOGH all over again (music style, ship models, laser fights, and politics).

I'll be all over this in the weeks to come. Smile

If you like space operas, good storytelling and are big fans of LOGH (like me), what are you waiting for? Start watching!!

Last edited by Descent123 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
While it took me a long time to even give Legend of Galactic Heroes a chance, I don't regret doing so. That was a great show, especially once things really started moving after a lot of slow build-up, so I'd expect nothing less from Tytania. The potential is there, at least.

I'd like to know how many episodes this will have though...something on LOGH's scale can't really fit into just one season, not without merely scratching the surface of whatever larger story is being told.

The first episode is good, the main thing I could nitpick is the animation budget and maybe a couple of the character designs, but that hardly makes a difference in this kind of show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, we know that Artland is now Kitty/Madhouse, but I never expected the visuals to be good anyway, they don't need to be.

Infact, by having a complex talking heads show that might not have the visual appeal, we can call this a mature elitist anime. The men are all yaoi-bait, but only for Japanese fujoshi, who take this stuff seriously. None of the fat yaoi fangirls of the west will have even heard of this title, and all for the better.

Sadly, I know the two groups who released so far are of the lower quality in translation and encoding, but I guess I'll have to give it a shot.
Descent123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sadly, we know that Artland is now Kitty/Madhouse, but I never expected the visuals to be good anyway, they don't need to be.

Infact, by having a complex talking heads show that might not have the visual appeal, we can call this a mature elitist anime. The men are all yaoi-bait, but only for Japanese fujoshi, who take this stuff seriously. None of the fat yaoi fangirls of the west will have even heard of this title, and all for the better.

Sadly, I know the two groups who released so far are of the lower quality in translation and encoding, but I guess I'll have to give it a shot.

I don't expect Tytania to be release in the US anytime soon. This is too serious for a lot of people (a shame, it's turning out to be great).

The translations from the groups are readable. Razz

But I must admit the space battles looks great.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
No, it probably will never be released in the US, but I'm saying that the annoying fanbase of other shows will never make it to Tytania.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
I don't expect Tytania to be release in the US anytime soon. This is too serious for a lot of people (a shame, it's turning out to be great).

'Tis quite a shame. I was hoping this would eventually be a way I could get a 'flavour' of LOGH without having to rely on an excessive number of fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Descent123 wrote:

'Tis quite a shame. I was hoping this would eventually be a way I could get a 'flavour' of LOGH without having to rely on an excessive number of fansubs.

Despite trying to pretend you have a moral highground by not downloading fansubs, just watch LotGH already. It's never coming over here, and you're certainly not going to buy all the R2's either (this is a show where actually having it translated matters). I don't care what Zac says, downloading this isn't hurting the Japanese or American companies.
zhir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
I think this show is going to be much shorter than LoGH, judging by the fact that they only spent one episode on the battle.

I like that they are already using 3D tactics. LoGH was space as an ocean until about halfway through.

Edit: Also, walw6pK4Alo, if you had read any of his other posts you would know that his issue seems to be the time commitment. I'd imagine he doesn't have broadband.

Zin5ki, LoGH is that good. Watch it. I don't care if it takes your entire life to download.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
Oh, yeah, that probably does sound more right. Well, it might be a lot of episodes, but you really should take it slow anyway, maybe an episode a day or so. It's not something you should really burn through anyway, otherwise you'll be watching the best anime ever made too quickly, and not savoring it.

I wish Madhouse was the animation studio, because Artland still doesn't seem to make the show look any kind of serious, which is why some people have been mocking it as Code Geass in space, in which I'd like to punch them in the face.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote
The fact that this is written by Tanaka sensei and directed by the same man who did the 110 episodes OVA masterpiece and the two movies of LOGH had made Tytania my most anticipated series of this fall.

This is a repeat of my post at MAL:

I've only seen the raw so far, and I must say that I was floored by what I saw -everything was so reminiscent of LOGH, from the chracater design, opening, the premise involving two opposing sides, the space battles involving strategy rather than flashy mecha action, and the sheer attention to detail in the background (check out that servant who's pouring tea and milk simultaneously in the midst of battle) what the first episode lacked, however is a cold, manipulative character in the same manner as Oberstein Anime hyper

If this series will be able to distinguish itself from LOGH, then it has the potential to be the best series of this season.
zhir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
what the first episode lacked, however is a cold, manipulative character in the same manner as Oberstein Anime hyper

spoiler[The entire Tytania family seems to be much more like Oberstein than Reinhard.]

Edit: The first episode of LoGH also lacked an Oberstein like character. Wink
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:

spoiler[The entire Tytania family seems to be much more like Oberstein than Reinhard.]

I watched the sub, and Idris Tytania gave me vibes that he might turn out to be the Oberstein or Rubinsky figure of this series, while Juslan Tytania struck me as a Reinhard equivalent with his gentler nature and interest in Fan Hulic who is obviously a Yang Wen-Li equivalent.

Quote:
Edit: The first episode of LoGH also lacked an Oberstein like character. Wink

You forgot that Oberstein appeared in the LOGH: Overture to a New War movie that was supposed to be a retelling of the first two episodes of the OVA Wink
Descent123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
No one can replace Oberstein.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Though the animation is lacking and the character designs are a bit on the *ahem* colorful side, I was fairly satisfied with the first episode of the show. Fan's tactics were impressive and I think I'm going to enjoy looking into the different personalities of the members of the Tytania family.

It may be little more than a retread of Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but it seems a little too early to making such judgements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zhir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:16 am Reply with quote
Honestly, spoiler[Fan won with a superweapon ass-pull. I would have preferred to start with a fair battle (like LoGH did). It's fine if the Weigelt cannons are this show's [s]Space Flamethrower[/s] Zephyr particles, but I'll get annoyed if we get weapon escalation. ]

Edit: Anyone know if ANN supports any kind of strikethrough?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2