• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Writer Inspired by Stephen King, Hidamari Sketch, Nanoha, Cossette

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Stephen King you sly boots. I love both SK and anime, so what could possibly go wrong with mixing the two?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Sir Amyas Leigh wrote:
Stephen King you sly boots. I love both SK and anime, so what could possibly go wrong with mixing the two?

I don't know, if you were to cross "The Mangler" with Night Shift Nurses, you'd probably get something pretty terrible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Sir Amyas Leigh wrote:

I don't know, if you were to cross "The Mangler" with Night Shift Nurses, you'd probably get something pretty terrible.

I was thinking more along the lines of Dark Tower series the Anime.

That trailer was pretty scary Shocked
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
All Urobuchi did was restate some of the things he's said from previous interviews and discussions, most of which that are published in some of the side material for Puella Magi Madoka Magica, including the Official Guidebook and the Production Notes and Beginning Story books.

Hidamari Sketch was what he based the characters on, hence why they got Ume-sensei on the team.
Nanoha was the influence for much of the Magical Girl and steampunk-like ideas.
Petite Cossette brought about much of the influence for the dark atmosphere.

Stephen King is simply an inspiration for Urobuchi's writing style in general, though he was surprised to hear that Stephen King sometimes uses "ghost writers" in his work. Meaning, King hires others with similar styles as himself to write some portions of his books for him...
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Stephen King is simply an inspiration for Urobuchi's writing style in general, though he was surprised to hear that Stephen King sometimes uses "ghost writers" in his work. Meaning, King hires others with similar styles as himself to write some portions of his books for him...

I think you mean he uses pseudonyms (think Richard Bachman). There is no way this man has others write for him. (although Under the Dome was a little... off IMHO) And if you know this to be true, well I'd appreciate some links on the matter. (I just googled 'Stephen King uses ghost writers' and literally nothing but people saying he doesn't shows up.) I think people were just intimidated by how fast and how much work he was putting out a while back. Any one whose read most of his work, (like myself) knows his style ain't exactly one you can emulate easily (I'm looking at you Mr. Coontz)
To anyone who likes to read: read King's Dark Tower series. Its awesome
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1