• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Naoki Urasawa

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you're so lucky to have met Naoki Urasawa! He's my absolute favorite manga-ka. He has this distinctive, but not too exaggerated, art style. Very striking but without being too ostentatious. And he can weave a good yarn, that's for sure.

I imagined he'd be opposed to having his manga on digital format. I picture him sitting in a room like Friend's childhood room, with all the manga on the shelves, getting irritated if somebody got them dirty.

I wish 20th Century Boys, which is my favorite manga, would have an animated adaptation. I liked the movies, but a TV series would be even better, I think. With the Viz release almost finished, I hope they get the sequel, 21st Century Boys, which finishes things off. I wouldn't mind seeing Billy Bat come over here, as well.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
That was really short. Was he on a schedule or something?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Uh, yes he was on a schedule. He was playing a guitar an hour after the interview, remember?

I too wish the interview had been longer, but it was a good read nonetheless.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
That was really short. Was he on a schedule or something?

Yes, they gave me fifteen minutes. Crying or Very sad I actually had a list of ten questions, but since he didn't speak French or English (although I got the impression that he understood a fair amount), I had to go through a translator, which slowed the process down a lot.

penguintruth wrote:
Oh, you're so lucky to have met Naoki Urasawa!

I was squealing like a two year old with a cupcake when I found out I got to interview him. Very Happy

Quote:
I hope they get the sequel, 21st Century Boys, which finishes things off. I wouldn't mind seeing Billy Bat come over here, as well.

I'm with you there. I'd also love to see Yawara get an English language release, as well as Happy!. I did get the latter in French, though, which he was nice enough to sign. That is going on my "Shelf of Prizes" alongside my 1820 edition of Shakespeare and my privately printed 1922 hand-illuminated troubadour tales!
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ANN:What are your thoughts on the legal digital distribution of manga?

None of my works are [legally] available digitally. I prefer physical books.

That's a shame, I would love it if Viz Manga had 20th Century and/or Monster.

Maybe he'll change his mind later. Rolling Eyes
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Urasawa:None of my works are [legally] available digitally. I prefer physical books.

Me: Very Happy

*bows to Rebecca*
You were so lucky to meet Naoki Urasawa! Thanks for sharing your brief but still fortunate interview with him; I've been trying to track down Pineapple Army ever since the House of 1000 Manga article. Already own Pluto and a few volumes of Monster.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Soon as I have a steady income, volumes 19 and up of 20th Century Boys are at the top of my list of things to buy. Very Happy

I didn't know Urasawa sang! Guess that adds some more context to Kenji. And yeah, I prefer dead-tree editions too, when I can get 'em, but the economic advantages of digital distribution are hard to deny, especially in marginal cost per unit. He might give in in a few years, though, when the infrastructure and e-reader technology are there.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the interview! He seems like a genuinely cool and personable guy.

I have up through volume 21 of 20th Century Boys but I've only read through volume 12 so far and its already my favorite manga.
Starre257

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
Quote:

None of my works are [legally] available digitally. I prefer physical books.

That's a shame, I would love it if Viz Manga had 20th Century and/or Monster.

Maybe he'll change his mind later. Rolling Eyes

^^^^This
I will buy all of 20th Century Boys as soon as I can get it digital! But I have no more shelf space for a physical series that long...
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaaaaggghhhhhhhhh SO JEALOUS.

Also, don't you hate when you ask a question like the one about the manga delay and they're like "Wait, what?" Wink

Nice work! WIsh you had more time with him, Rebecca...but then I bet you wish so too. Man, I'd love to meet him someday.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
This is how I picture Urasawa's room:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish 20th Century Boys, which is my favorite manga, would have an animated adaptation. I liked the movies, but a TV series would be even better, I think. With the Viz release almost finished, I hope they get the sequel, 21st Century Boys, which finishes things off. I wouldn't mind seeing Billy Bat come over here, as well.

Viz does have 21st Century Boys. Comes out in November. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-25/21st-century-boys-manga-listed-by-viz-distributor
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Viz does have 21st Century Boys. Comes out in November. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-25/21st-century-boys-manga-listed-by-viz-distributor

The funny thing is, I commented in the thread for that.

It wasn't even that long ago. I'm losing it. Embarassed
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Man, that's pretty awesome to have met Naoki Urasawa. I'm also a big fan of Yawara (I remember... most of the lyrics to the 1st op theme too Laughing), along with Monster and 20th Century Boys. It's too bad the interview was so short, I hope y'all get a chance at it again someday.
vinamara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I think I would've fainted if the man were standing right in front of me. Naoki Urasawa in the flesh! It's a pity that the interview was cut short but damn, those fifteen minutes must've been so awesome.

I would love to ask him how he thought of an amazing character like Johan. The man is a genius.

I'm just so glad that they're bringing back Keaton.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2