• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - That Old Black Magica

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Cromartie High School! I adore this series! It's also one of the few things I have both the anime and manga for because they even go about humor different. And the dub is epic good of course. And only the anime has the gender flip episode. But I remember hearing it was comedy, and getting the first manga which came with an anime sampler disc, and this is one of those times I'm damn glad I got the DVD singles because the menus in them are simply brilliant to say the least. But a lot more stuff happens in the manga (the anime is even cruel enough to tell you twice in the first episode "if you wanna find out, just read the manga", though the answers are actually there to its credit). It's a shame there were only, what, 5 volumes left of the series? And it doesn't exactly look like an enticing pick up to other companies, so we'll likely never get them. A shame, I would've loved to see more of spoiler[the teachers, who just hang in the lounge doing nothing, just like the students do, but in a different place] who I think only came in at vol 11 or 12.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I love "Cromartie High School." It's one of the few series that makes me laugh out loud every time I re-read a volume. Anime smile

I wish ADV would have finished releasing it, but it just wasn't in the cards. Maybe someday the license will get picked up, and we'll have a few omnibuses that finish out the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StormSky92

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand, it's the next volume of Kazumi Magica that things get.....interesting.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Kazumi Magica

Looked at it in the comic book store, kinda agree that the artwork is simple. For those of you who have picked it up, does the story really make it worth while?

Sankarea

Have always been a fan of Mitsuru Hattori's past works ('Otogi no Machi no Rena' and 'Kenkō Zenrakei Suieibu Umishō'). So I kept up with Sankarea as much as I could. It is nice that Kodansha Comics has brought it to the States now. Hopefully there is a chance his past works will be brought over too, not much chance, but one can always dream.

- - Umisho was released as an anime TV series also, sadly never got licensed.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Surprised there was no mention of my biggest beef with Kazumi -- the loli fanservice. I didn't mind the brief nudity in Madoka because it wasn't sexualized, but here we have a naked thirteen year old girl straddling a grown man and that's just ... just ... ew!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
I want to like Kazumi but that boobs'n'butt pose on the cover is ridiculous.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Kazumi Magica

Looked at it in the comic book store, kinda agree that the artwork is simple. For those of you who have picked it up, does the story really make it worth while?

I bought it the other day, and the first volume I felt was very much exposition. The amnesia cliche got to me a bit, but I do think there's potential in the story.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
To clarify, Kazumi Magica was first being released when the show was airing, and it was being written before the writer knew anything about the secret behind... well... everything. In fact, the magazine release had inconsistencies with the show and the later story had to fix the plot inconsistencies while the tankouban/volume release had to fix the visual inconsistencies (for instance, the spoiler[grief nuts had to be redrawn so they looked like fake grief seeds, since they originally were meant to be real grief seeds until the author realized they don't work that way...]).

So it started out somewhat fanservicey and less serious. There are 5 volumes altogether (I own them all in Japanese) and the story gets really crazy from there. While it's nothing compared to the show (it doesn't focus on the same themes, but rather takes its own direction), it's still a worthwhile read for those looking for something to further possibilities from the original setting. It has a rough start, but it eventually does good justice. Get ready for some new plot twists even people who watched the anime might not see coming. =P

More so than Kazumi Magica, though, I would recommend Hanokage's "The Different Story" spin-off, which is a HUGE surprise, considering Hanokage's adaption of the anime was pretty mediocre (even Hanokage admits that in the afterword). I mean, Hanokage wrote the third Drama CD, "Farewell Story," which was well-regarded on its own and was the inspiration for the latest spin-off, but the manga version (vol.1 adapts the Drama CD, albeit with less jokes) went into further detail and even made me cry twice, feeling just as emotional and engaging as the anime, but with more of a focus on character development for characters we didn't see enough of instead of general plot or themes. Does anyone know if "The Different Story" is licensed yet? I want to see a good review on ANN someday...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1