• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Eccentric Family (Uchōten Kazoku) (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote

The Eccentric Family (Uchōten Kazoku) (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, fantasy
Themes: family, Folklore, Gender switch, Shapeshifting, youkai

Plot Summary: Shimogamo Yasaburō is a tanuki who is the third son of the Shimagamo family, who lives in Kyoto, along with humans, tanuki, and tengu. One day, Yasaburō's father is eaten as a hot pot by human members of a group known as the "Friday Club". As Yasaburō takes care of his teacher, an old tengu, fights with other tanukis, and plays with a psychic human girl, Yasaburō approaches the truth about his father's death.
----------------------------------

Index:
Episodes: 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, Final
----------------------------------

Episode 1
So, I liked the first episode, even if I didn't know where this series was going after this (I hadn't read the synopsis yet). The main character caring for the old tengu was kinda touching. Don't know why the ears are so oddly drawn, but I've seen worse in anime. Everything else looked fine.

This series is streaming on Crunchyroll.

Last edited by A Mystery on Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 was okay. As a fan of PA Works, this was definitely added to my PTW list. Now that I watched it....I think it has potential.

As regarding the MC, lol @ spoiler[cross dressing]. I honestly did not see it coming. OP and ED songs were okay I guess. As for the second half, that spoiler[kiss] came out unexpected. Anyways, I'll expect from this series but it did caught some interest for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Liked it. Kyoto will be an interesting location and nobody knows how to bring locations to life like P.A.Works does. The whole tanuki-tengu-human thing looks like it will be kinda cool.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay this is pretty much the best thing that happened this season.
The entire episode was full of nostalgia and melancholy,so the background which looks a bit like oil pastel painting really works well with the mood of the show.
Characters are fantastic as we have our carefree and arrogant MC who smokes and drinks(something that I found surprising)and tries to enjoy his life to fullest,but realizes that his enjoyment partially comes from trying to help his teacher . It may sound cheesy,but the show pulled it off without zero percent cheesiness.
Teacher is particularly well written character.It is really odd to see an anime(or anything for that matter) that actually portrays problems that elderly face so well.In this case ,as tengu he could freely soar the skies,but due to circumstances he can barely move at all and he lives in crappy apartment.His life only consists of only memories from his golden age and yearning for his beloved one.Scene with him writing a letter was particularity great.I think in the end the message of the episode was that no matter how much age may destroy us,there will be seeds from the past that will help us(suchas his student or even his lost love).
Oh also the guy who is directing worked a lot with Kamiyama and it is shown here that man can do some good work. http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/RollingPenguin7/media/vlcsnap-2013-07-07-21h35m56s161_zps289ddcd2.png.html I really liked how this scene was done,it shows quite well how small his room is,the beers in background are nice detail and there is his sad look to top it all of.
The dialogue is pretty great,it flows naturally,it is hilarious at times and it always comes from the characters.It is not Tatami Galaxy level but it is quite good.

Last edited by danilo07 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Seems to be a leisurely stroll of an anime, and for some reason I quite liked the Tanuki MC seemed to be enjoying himself in taking a gender bent form, and the kind of mild shock I felt from seeing "him" smoke and drink.

I do wonder what these Friday Fellows are, as it sounds rather cruel that they would spoiler[kill and eat clearly sentient Tanuki]. And understanding that girl looks promising.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote
Although I was a bit confused, I loved the atmosphere and weirdness of this first episode.

I've been to Kyoto and I think this first episode both captured the Kyoto I know yet made it feel unique at the same time.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I am going to have to get used to the animation style, as it came off as a little strange at first. However, I did enjoy the first episode quite a bit. I love stories about mystical creatures and their interactions with mankind. They always seem so imaginative and make great use of the animation medium. I am not sure exactly where this show is headed, but I am on board for at least a few more episodes.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The animation is a bit different in this anime.
I kinda like this style, it suits it well.
The story is unusual, that's for sure.
At one point it totally gave me a mafia vibe.
It's a nice anime, with a good mood and relaxed pace.
Can't decide to keep watching it or not...
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
sounds like i read this kind of story somewhere. A big name family do random stuffs.
Durga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I think this show has my favorite characters of the season. Love how diverse they are. I'll admit, I almost cried at the scene at the end of episode 2. It was a good display of family bonding spoiler[and seeing adorable tanuki crying did get to me. Anime hyper]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
There is not one thing I dislike about this show so far, and I haven't felt that way about a series since Natsume. I can't even think of any of the usual warning labels I always feel I have to slap on when recommending anime to "normals" that I would apply to this. Smile

It's only 2 episodes in, but it's perfect in every way, so I really hope they don't mess it up from here on.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
After watching the 2nd ep., i think i'm officially in love with this show now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

So the humans can not see that their mother looks like a woman pretending to be a man? I really have no problem with the gender swapping thing, I think that the fact they have the freedom to choose their forms is kind of cute, especially with how their family interacts with each other. That they would worry about their mother who is afraid of lightning.

So if the main guy is a lot like his father, then it seems to look like he is a good mix of his mother and father together.
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
Few 2nd episodes this season have been as good as this one,though this episode was just exploration of setting.However this exploration was done through its characters,so there was no distracting exposition and dialogue was as always brilliant.If not in this episode it was better,I really enjoyes every second of conversation between two Ebisugawa brothers.I was touched when they started to search for their mother,it was also nice to see that series contains big amounts of surreal humor mixed up with drama(circumstances of his fathers death).
Clarste

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 2

So the humans can not see that their mother looks like a woman pretending to be a man?

I didn't really get the impression that they didn't notice. They just didn't care. I mean, she's already famous so why would we see any kind of reaction to it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11