• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods to Have Red Carpet Premiere in L.A.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
English dub cast only, you'd almost think it was an American cartoon, not one made in Japan.

Well, it's what Funimation wants to you think, and has wanted you to think for decades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
So guess I'll ask the obvious question: for those of us going to AnimeExpo, how do we get tickets?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda cool for DBZ to get a red carpet premiere. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
English dub cast only, you'd almost think it was an American cartoon, not one made in Japan.

Well, it's what Funimation wants to you think, and has wanted you to think for decades.

For God's sake penguintruth. Most of the people who have seen the film already online, only have seen the original Japanese version. Nobody has seen the dubbed version, so it would be redundant to show the same version.

And believe it or not, there are many people out there who prefer Dragon Ball Z dubbed than subbed. Dragon Ball fans already know that Dragon Ball (Z) originated from Japan for more than a decade. They're not stupid. Most Dragon Ball fans have already seen the original Japanese version of the show and some of them don't like it. That's just how's it been.

It's like you flat out reject anything Dragon Ball related that is dubbed.

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
And some people wish Nozawa would pass on already so someone else who's voice isn't that of Satan's can be cast.

"B-but, muh hand-picked Toriyama cast."

Toriyama is a moron who forgets entire characters. Sometimes authors and creators really don't know what's best for their projects when you move into collaborative media.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And some people wish Nozawa would pass on already so someone else who's voice isn't that of Satan's can be cast.

And none of those people live in Japan, where she's beloved.

Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Most Dragon Ball fans have already seen the original Japanese version of the show

No. Most DB fans in North America have seen little snippets of it in Japanese. After being sold on an entirely different version of the show for decades. Of course they aren't going to like it, they don't even know what it is.

And sure, BoG is probably dubbed more accurately than the TV show, that's Funimation's continued progress as a dubbing studio at work, but there's nothing redundant about showing the version that is the actual original product. To discount it in favor of people who had nothing to do with the original product is pretty insulting to the original product and the people who made it. And to the actual fans of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

if funimation wants us to think that, then why the fudge do they re-release bilingual dvd & blu-ray sets then?

the japanese voice actors are all famous. do you expect funimation to fork out a truckload of money just to get the japanese cast at the event? most of them can barely speak english anyway, so what's the point? do you think it's easy getting at least one let alone the entire cast to show up?

if you want to see the japanese version in theatres so bad you should've went to japan
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
For God's sake penguintruth. Most of the people who have seen the film already online, only have seen the original Japanese version. Nobody has seen the dubbed version, so it would be redundant to show the same version.

And believe it or not, there are many people out there who prefer Dragon Ball Z dubbed than subbed. Dragon Ball fans already know that Dragon Ball (Z) originated from Japan for more than a decade. They're not stupid. Most Dragon Ball fans have already seen the original Japanese version of the show and some of them don't like it. That's just how's it been.

It's like you flat out reject anything Dragon Ball related that is dubbed.

penguintruth, how do you know that none of the Japanese people want Nozawa gone?

Also, something that many sub lovers may forget is that the Japanese approve the cast list. So, you should also be blaming the Japanese.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing in my comments that indicates that I want to be Japanese, prefer Japanese things as a rule, or anything. This is a f***ing anime forum. If you're not into anime, which is from Japan, and generally in Japanese, then what are you even doing here?

Second, it is a Japanese film. Made in Japan. In the Japanese language. It is foreign film, which tends to be released here, you know, in its original language audio, occasionally with a dub, but usually with subtitles. I don't live in Japan. I want to see the Japanese version in theaters here, like I would see any other foreign film that might get a screening.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
And sure, BoG is probably dubbed more accurately than the TV show, that's Funimation's continued progress as a dubbing studio at work, but there's nothing redundant about showing the version that is the actual original product. To discount it in favor of people who had nothing to do with the original product is pretty insulting to the original product and the people who made it. And to the actual fans of it.

That logic is amazing. Your essentially saying that any Japanese anime or movie must show the original version before it can dubbed? And If it doesn't, than it's an insult to the original product? Even if in cases, which there have been many, the dubbed versions are actually better than the subbed versions of said anime or movie and actually increase quality?

You can't be freakin serious...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Christ. Pengu's on his soap box again. Confused

Can't you just let the people have their fun? It's going to be out on bluray before too long anyway, so you can watch it in Japanese as much as you want then.

Personally, I'm just hoping one of the screenings comes to Memphis. I don't care which language, I just want to support theatrical anime screenings here in my area.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

That logic is amazing. Your essentially saying that any Japanese anime or movie must show the original version before it can dubbed? And If it doesn't, than it's an insult to the original product? Even if in cases, which there have been many, the dubbed versions are actually better than the subbed versions of said anime or movie and actually increase quality?

You can't be freakin serious...

The Japanese product is the actual product. It doesn't matter if you personally think the English version is better, the Japanese original is the intended version of the show, and without it, your English dubbed version would not exist, period.

Hey, remember that DBZ movie that Funimation created?

Neither do I.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
And in some cases it sound more natural in English. Black Lagoon, Cowboy Beebop, Code Geass, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Evangelion, countless Gundam shows, every movie Hayao Miyazaki has ever made. The list is endless.

Opinions. Fact is, Japanese version, first version. It was how the show was made. It should get a screening, regardless of how much you personally prefer the English version. Because it's the actual core movie.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
onyonz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
During AX? I guess. During AX at a different location? Ugh.
Well, at least I know where it's at. It's just that I wanna know how much will it cost since it is a couple weeks away.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
First of all, "weeaboo" is 4chan fodder. There is nothing in my comments that indicates that I want to be Japanese, prefer Japanese things as a rule, or anything. This is a f***ing anime forum. If you're not into anime, which is from Japan, and generally in Japanese, then what are you even doing here?

Second, it is a Japanese film. Made in Japan. In the Japanese language. It is foreign film, which tends to be released here, you know, in its original language audio, occasionally with a dub, but usually with subtitles. I don't live in Japan. I want to see the Japanese version in theaters here, like I would see any other foreign film that might get a screening. That's not being a "weeaboo".

If you seriously use the word "weeaboo", maybe you shouldn't be here. Some people might see that you like Japanese cartoons and make the assumption!

none of the other 20-30 countries that licensed it showed the japanese version, so why should funimation? why don't you have a go at all those other countries, rather then singling out funimation.

the reason they're showing it in dubbed is because it caters to a larger audience. the people who want to see it in japanese are the minority, so why does funimation (or any other company for that matter) have to cater them?

simply put, the majority of people who want to see the movies in theatres want to see it dubbed. sure some people want to see it subbed, but theyre the minority and funimation can't cater to everybody.

be thankful that you're even getting it in theatres at all
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5