• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts J. Michael Tatum as Rei

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
And no one was surprised. Laughing
simplysarx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Twisted Evil he's going to be one hell of a swimmer Wink If you know what I mean.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really seeing it but OMG It's Happening!!! (Personally I was hoping he'd play Sousuke.)

Last edited by sakuragtin on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
So obvious Anime hyper I'm looking forward to the rest of the announcements this week!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
... and the only answer that matters is who if anyone is part of the cast of the first season. But sure, one guy a day of the second season. Why not?

And then CR partners with Noizumi and releases a sub only set. Just because, you know, business rivals...

Look, Funimation is doing this while in negotiations for the first season rights; A "look, see?" move on their part and I guess CR's ownership rights became public precisely to put pressure on CR from the fans and this casting stunt is done to further put pressure on them, yeah, I really don't want to see them succeed now.

Better yet, I'd like to see CR get Bang Zoom to counter dub season one; That'd be sweet.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't keep up with voice actors (mainly because I could care less who voices a character as long as they do the job properly), however on like every dub announcement I see the same names....I swear god this dude with a few other familiar names are like in every new show
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
...however on like every dub announcement I see the same names....I swear god this dude with a few other familiar names are like in every new show

Oh, yes, I'm starting to notice that on many English versions of newer anime shows.
In any case, I think the show will fare well, but I agree; it's about time Funimation [and Sentai] starting searching for some new seiyuu...
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I was not surprised (or disappointed). Tatum's one of my favorite English voice actors. Very Happy Now for my other favorite characters to be announced later on.

Also, new Funi dubs have been using other people like the voiced Sasha in Attack on Titan was Ashly Burch from Hey Ash! Watcha Playin?

It's not just America, Japan does it all the time with the more popular voice actors. Daisuke Ono has been in 20 shows in 2014!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
...however on like every dub announcement I see the same names....I swear god this dude with a few other familiar names are like in every new show

Oh, yes, I'm starting to notice that on many English versions of newer anime shows.
In any case, I think the show will fare well, but I agree; it's about time Funimation [and Sentai] starting searching for some new seiyuu...

Maybe if you started paying more attention, you'd realize that they *do* bring in new talent. Just because it's not something that happens with every single dub doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

And the Japanese can be guilty of using the same voice actors over and over again too. It's just that some people are too ignorant to know any better (I'm not trying to insult anyone here, I'm just stating a simple fact).
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I don't keep up with voice actors (mainly because I could care less who voices a character as long as they do the job properly), however on like every dub announcement I see the same names....I swear god this dude with a few other familiar names are like in every new show

Japan is just as guilty with using the same people over and over again.

Clannad and Hyouka had the same two guys playing the same character types. Serious lead and his goofy sidekick.
KidOblivion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Animegomaniac"]... and the only answer that matters is who if anyone is part of the cast of the first season. But sure, one guy a day of the second season. Why not?

And then CR partners with Noizumi and releases a sub only set. Just because, you know, business rivals...

Look, Funimation is doing this while in negotiations for the first season rights; A "look, see?" move on their part and I guess CR's ownership rights became public precisely to put pressure on CR from the fans and this casting stunt is done to further put pressure on them, yeah, I really don't want to see them succeed now.

Better yet, I'd like to see CR get Bang Zoom to counter dub season one; That'd be sweet.[/quote]

Don't see why anybody wouldn't want both seasons dubbed and released with a consistent cast, but ok.
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Perfect casting. Before Funimation even licensed it I always thought he would be good as Rei. I am very happy and even if the rest of the casting is crap I'd still consider checking out the dub.

Very Happy
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Animegomaniac"]

Look, Funimation is doing this while in negotiations for the first season rights; A "look, see?" move on their part and I guess CR's ownership rights became public precisely to put pressure on CR from the fans and this casting stunt is done to further put pressure on them, yeah, I really don't want to see them succeed now./quote]

And that is precisely why its such a great business move.

Here's hoping it works for them. Although having the second season dubbed first seems counter intuitive on so many levels...
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
J. Micheal Tatum is a fine choice Smile

I predict Vic Mignogna as Makoto! Wink
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
... and the only answer that matters is who if anyone is part of the cast of the first season. But sure, one guy a day of the second season. Why not?

Better yet, I'd like to see CR get Bang Zoom to counter dub season one; That'd be sweet.

I doubt that Funimation is trying to compete with CR. In fact they have stated that they are actually trying to either convince CR to hire them to dub it, but still allowing CR to do everything else. If not, they are also hoping to convince CR to just sell them the license. They are making every attempt to cooperate with them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2