• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Hampshire School Disciplines Student After Finding 'Death Note' Book

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seska1973

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:03 am Reply with quote
I think, the Fear behind this all is the Amok raids in the past. If you want to understand the feeling here. (I assume that). So it is not only an Cosplay thing to them. So take that in consideration
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:11 am Reply with quote
Not this again. Sociopathic teenagers seem intent on giving Death Note a bad name.

I mean sure it's not quite as stupid as watching Breaking Bad and deciding to throw away your life and cook meth with your buddy but it's still quite concerning. Not to mention it's a pretty awful interpretation of the show's themes.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote
Oh boy this again! Sad

Some discipline may be necessary, but obviously what's more important is that this girl gets the help she needs. Writing the names of people you want dead is probably the sign of a mental health problem.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:42 am Reply with quote
True story. I got bullied a lot in middle school. Eventually, I thought it would be a good idea to keep daily log of the things other students did to me in class. One of the bullies found out, went to the principal about it, and I ended up getting in trouble! Apparently writing things about other students without tgeirxknuwlefge or consent was against the rules and I was asked to stop immediately.

So stories like this don't surprise me anymore.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:58 am Reply with quote
I agree, discipline is necessary... for the 17 students that were likely bullying this kid.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Given America's current run of what feels like one mass shooting a week, them reacting to finding a list of names & causes of death makes sense.

Also, is this an actual Death Note (as in was inspired by Death Note in using a branded notebook( or a death list? Because Death Note didn't invent the concept.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
Getting one's hands on a Death Note without getting caught will hardly go according to keikaku. . . . . . .
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:21 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, not this again. The girl shouldn't get punished for something like that. I think that they should take this as a cry for help. I once drew a picture of the people i hated on badly drawn tombstones because they were bulling me and i wanted them gone. I didn't get in trouble for that. This needs to stop, it's just an imaginary thing. If they believe that a book can actually kill people then feel free to take away books and pencils. (That last sentence was sarcasm)
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:01 am Reply with quote
Seriously? The fourth time this year? And it's been going on for several years. I mean, I get why they're concerned, and I get why someone would do this as a venting method, but it gets so tiring to keep seeing this happen. And it's definitely not the last time.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
This poor girl needs a friend more than punishment Sad
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Just once I wish that one of these cases revealed that said teen isn't mentally messed up and just a bad seed.
dollssoulkirie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Just once I wish that one of these cases revealed that said teen isn't mentally messed up and just a bad seed.

I don't think they ever mentioned that the girl was mentally messed up or a bad seed. I read that she just wrote down the names of the people who bullied her because it was wrong to actually do harm to them. (But that was said from a friend of the girl who owned the notebook.) But that doesn't really sound like either to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PopetherevXXVIII

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
I have a Death note myself with hundreds of names. If a friend's name is in it I do it right in front of them and come up with the most abserd cause of death possible.

Though not long ago I figured people freak out over nothing so I placed a disclaimer in the back of mine starting it was for entertainment purposes only and no harm is in reality actually wished on anyone. But that's mostly because of the large number of Political names contained within,

I live near an apple orchard anyways. I doubt Ryuk can be bother to follow through on anything as it is.

To aviod confuses it's a literal branded deathnote replica not a random notebook.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
School needs to investigate what those 17 students did to the death note owner. American school system always let the bullies get away. A lot of bad things happen because school doesn't do anything to the bullies.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
So, these people know Death Notes don't actually work, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3