• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Feb 19-25

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought this week's Active Raid was decent,wasn't really such a huge jump though(the show is still really mediocre for the most part).
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I loved the Grimgar episode this week nice to see it get a high spot, although I actually thought the Haikyuu!! episode was good this week and I'm surprised Gintama dropped 11 places Neutral
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Grimgar, Dagashi Kashi, and Schwarzes Marken gaining. All three shows have turned out better than expected, especially Grimgar.

I expect Active Raid to regress to its mean, unfortunately, and Gintama to make a comeback, unless multiple shows get near five star performances.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
SnowyLightning44 wrote:
I loved the Grimgar episode this week nice to see it get a high spot, although I actually thought the Haikyuu!! episode was good this week and I'm surprised Gintama dropped 11 places Neutral

I'm thinking they were pushed down by some very good performances above them.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
SnowyLightning44 wrote:

I'm thinking they were pushed down by some very good performances above them.

Yeah that's probably true, the episodes for most anime seemed to be at their best this week to me
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Okay, could you please explain me how the rankings work now? Before it was very simple (order by user scores), and that's what it's put on the head of every article:
Quote:
So let's have a look at what ANN readers consider the best (and worst) of the season.

Keep in mind that these rankings are based on how people rated individual episodes of the current season, not on the overall quality or popularity of the series.

But from a few weeks on it's been really different and I don't know which is the reason, because it's weird that Gintama and Haikyuu who still have really good scores have dropped so much, yet One Piece is on the top when its score is so low, and that also has weirdly changed the order in the second poll.

I put here the user scores of the episodes this week and as you see there are some weird changes of order in the first poll, not only one like when we talked about Lupin, but many of them. I hope it helps to identify a problem if there is one, or an explanation to these weird changes if there are more variables into play, just to know:

1. ERASED 8: 4,8
2. Grimgar 7: 4,3
3. One Piece 730: 3,6
4. Durarara 31: 4,5
5. AssClass 8: 4,5
6. KonoSuba 7: 4,4
7. Dagashi Kashi 6: 4,1
8. Active Raid 8: 3,8
9. Lupin IV 21: 4,3
10. Snow White 19: 4,3
11. Dimension W 7: 4,0
12. Gintama 311: 4,7
13. Haikyuu 20: 4,6
14. Schwarzen Marken 7: 4,2
15. GATE 19: 4,3
16. Mr. Osomatsu 20: 4,1
17. BBK/BRNK 7: 3,3
18. Phantom World 8: 3,4
19. Heavy Object 19: 3,7
20. Luck & Logic 7: 3,0
21. Rakugo 7: 3,3
22. Haruchika 8: 3,6
23. Gundam 20: 4,0
24. Utawarerumono 20: 3,7
25. Girls Beyond the Wasteland 8: 3,6
26. Prince of Stride 8: 3,5
27. Naruto Shippuuden 450: 1,4
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure the author will explain better, but I believe it uses a more robust statistical method to do it (there is a link in the notes at the bottom. It has to do with transitive preferences like they liked show a over show b but preferred show c over show a so c>a>b and aggregating all of those preferences
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
^ Oh, so is like "a lot of people voted A very high but a bunch of them voted B even higher so that means they prefer B to A despite having B less score, so in the end people liked B more than A"?

It's a little weird, but I don't know about statistics so I'm not sure, but if that's the case ok, now I know, thanks. I'll also say this, this new system makes all these rankings much more unpredictable and entertaining instead of being statc, that's for sure.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That's how the rankings have always been, iirc. At the very least ever since the notes have been added explaining the method.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Reading the recent encomium of Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū may have lead me to believe this was the show to beat. Perhaps this was premature of me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The ranking system has not changed since this was introduced. The in-article explanations probably have.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
We could say this was a pretty good week for Active Raid and a comparatively lesser week for several of the other shows. In fact, I was surprised the series didn't rank higher when the sixth episode aired, since that was arguably the best one so far.

By the way, the show has had several guest writers lately, all with fairly similar backgrounds that include experience in the Japanese live action TV field. Which explains why this is definitely a peculiar series with many ups and downs, given the mostly episodic nature of the plot structure and the fact it is ultimately a transparent throwback to the Tokusatsu style of storytelling with all of its inherent silliness and monsters of the week, but seems like the main story will finally start to move next time.

Which could be either a boon or a bust, depending on all sorts of unknown factors and personal tastes as well, since that stimulus should force the narrative to start addressing new topics and modify its focus from here until the end of the season.

I honestly don't actually expect that the show will stay so high up on a weekly basis, not at all, but hopefully it will still climb up a few ranks in the overall ranking compared to its excessively (and, IMHO, undeserved) low position.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Reading the recent encomium of Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū may have lead me to believe this was the show to beat. Perhaps this was premature of me.

No you probably aren't wrong. Likely some people write it off a bit as "fujoshi pandering" an opinion I don't share, but one I have seen in its episode review forum. Plus it seems to cater to a more mature crowd, but you probably would have seen the dislike earlier in the season if that was the case. Unfortunately the timing seems to fit the realization that Kikihiko has romantic feelings for Sukeroku, which would bolster the theory of backlash against supposed pandering to fujoshis, which I again disagree with, regardless of whether one believes it to be pandering or not.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
There ya go, Active Raid! Atta' boy! Now let's hope it can continue with this level of story telling T.T

Now I'm just going to sit back, relax, and wait for Gundam episode 21's glorious counterattack in next week's rankings.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Gintama° down by 11 spots? I know that the math is there, but it still doesn't quite compute.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2