• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FAQ.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gappasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
Hi there, sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but i did my due diligence (forum faq posts, main encyclopedia faq, in-page 'add info' & 'report problem' functions, internal site search & external site crawl) and can't seem to find the protocol for making known missing "related media" for a given title. For instance, both OVAs for Non Non Biyori (one following each season; i also confirmed they are NOT listed with the regular episode titles).

Any info on SOP for these occurrences (or if found elsewhere, a link to it) would be appreciated. thanks! =)
horseradish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
Gappasaurus wrote:
the protocol for making known missing "related media"

Submitting a new title:
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/new-anime.php
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=388573#388573

Click "Encyclopedia" in top navigation bar.
Under "Tools" heading, click on more » link.
Under "Contribute" subheading, there is a bulleted item stating
· Approve or reject submitted anime and submitted manga titles

Criteria for priority adds:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28870
Gappasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
Awesome, thanks! I don't think i would have sussed that out anytime soon, tho that is likely due to being new to the site and not having a feel for the flow of things yet ,=)
And oh-ho! found both NNB OVAs on the Pending Approval list! I will try to help with them asap. =)
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
How do I add relationship between the people? For example, Tasuku Hatanaka (person#99622) is the son of Keiko Fukushima (person#27336) and Hiroshi Hatanaka (https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/畠中洋).
horseradish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
How do I add relationship between the people?

Marriages are added in [Chronology] if date known such as person#82. Sometimes a child's birth is also added in [Chronology] such as person#18726. Otherwise relationships relevant to the Encyclopedia are entered in the [About] section, which is manually added by staff. For example, person#50808.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=756182#756182
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2931472#2931472

KutovoiAnton wrote:
For example, Tasuku Hatanaka (person#99622) is the son of Keiko Fukushima (person#27336) and Hiroshi Hatanaka (https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/畠中洋).

This info regarding person#99622 has to be manually added by staff. I think regular users can submit the info under (Other Information) for approval with something like "Family: Son of Keiko Fukushima" or "Relationship: Son of Keiko Fukushima". Maybe a common thread similar to "Duplicate companies" or "How to submit series relations" could be created for these cases until the information can be directly added. If date is known, [Chronology] for person#27336 could include the marriage to actor Hiroshi Hatanaka since he has no entry.
mbanu

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
While this information is not strictly necessary, it is part of the original credits. Also, in situations where two people have the same name but worked at different companies it's very helpful in establishing which credit belong to which person. So we encourage people to add the company name as a precision when it's specified in the original credits as above. We recommend keeping it separate from other precisions, so rather than submitting a credit with "eps 1-3; Company ABC" it's better to submit it twice, once with "eps 1-3" and once with "Company ABC"

Is there any further guidance for fully-outsourced shows? I mean shows like Onihei or DYNAMIC CHORD, where little if any of the work is done in-house.

Dan42 wrote:
The Golden Rule is that a new season should always be submitted as a separate series, to prevent ginormous pages with bazillions of credits. If the episode count doesn't restart at 1 in the new season, it's not problem to have the episode list pick up where the previous season left off. So you could have episodes 1-13 in series 1 and episodes 14-26 in series 2.

It seems like if a full credited staff list for each outsourced company can be obtained for a fully outsourced show that would create the too-many-credits problem that is trying to be avoided, but I'm not sure how splitting it would work; are there guidelines over when a series should be bracketed, like [Wonderful] or [Short Peace]? I know that it was mentioned that it is easier to start split rather than disentangling a show with a large number of credits.

Maybe I'm overthinking this...
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Question: when submitting photos of real people, I have only used photos where someone took a picture with my camera when I met the person. Are any photographs that are not taken by or on behalf of the submitter allowed?
Lugamo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:43 am Reply with quote
It is allowed to add Latin American releases to the encyclopedia or just the ones from the Anglosphere?
horseradish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:32 am Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:26 am Reply with quote
I have a copy of the rule on themes, but I've forgotten where in the encyclopedia it can be found.

Quote:
[A] theme should represent a core element of the story; for example Princess Nine has tennis in a few episodes but it is not an anime about tennis. Ask yourself if you would watch this title only for the X, where X is the theme you want to add.

Would someone please be so kind as to point me in the right direction? Or is it just part of the theme submission process?

I just restarted an old project--to develop a ghost busting/monster hunting theme (dealing with and disposing of supernatural menaces, often with extreme prejudice).
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Bumping the above post.
xSardine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:48 am Reply with quote
Hello,
I'm trying to add a new entry to the encyclopedia, however, i get the error "This info is no anime", which doesn't help me much, especially since it's automated.
I would like to know more about what I'm doing wrong.

Also, I might have need to ask that first, but is ANN accepting foreign show that got aired in japan ? I assumed it did, since there are some chinese show in the database I believe.
(for reference about what I want to add: https://anilist.co/anime/3772/Cubix/ - https://anidb.net/anime/4247)
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
^
This is a South Korean production. As a general rule they aren't included in the ANN encyclopaedia.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Which language should an international sales agent aka sales representative be under?

Technically, they don’t apply to the Japanese version, which is distributed by companies which executive-produced the anime and therefore already own the rights; they don’t go through sales agents.

However, usually the same sales agent applies to all other languages, and they are not specific to any one language. So in that respect it would make more sense to put them with the Japanese companies (even when they are not a Japanese company, but a Western one such as Wild Bunch International).

And what exactly should be used as the English name for the role? It’d use “Sales Agent:” if it were up to me but I think someone in charge should decide.
PaperSplash

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Should "uncredited" staff and cast members (as in those not listed in the official opening or ending credits) be indicated as such with a precision?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5