• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinichiro Watanabe, BONES' Original Carole & Tuesday Anime Reveals New Character, Compose

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Looking good so far. Please let it not be another het romance stuff. Just a simple focus of friendship between girls seems fine, for the heck of it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting if it's going to be a "we're trying to make it" type of story.

I just hope it doesn't turn into something anime stupid like now there's aliens and they have to save the galaxy or all humanity somehow.
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is an homage to Macross. I hope it's about a song so powerful it changes the Universe.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Looking good so far. Please let it not be another het romance stuff. Just a simple focus of friendship between girls seems fine, for the heck of it.

I would love for this to be a yuri anime but let us wait for more reveals. This anime seems to be interesting.
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
Afezeria wrote:

I would love for this to be a yuri anime but let us wait for more reveals. This anime seems to be interesting.

I'm kinda burning out on "So we are reviving this old properly, I KNOW! YURI!" happening every single time now. It's like it's a hard requirement. It's cheap. It's virtue signalling. Treating female x female relationships like a business prerequisite now.

"Well, we need a website. Everybody has a website. And some Yuri. The kids love Yuri."

If they start making every other Anime in a season Yuri, people will start hating Yuri as much as they hate sports and historical anime.
Darklordmyke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Watanabe's work but I'm a little disappointed in the decision to not include Yoko Kanno this time but if this is a genre bend like Bebop, Champloo, and Kids on the Slope, then I'm all for a rock themed anime. Especially if it's a metal band anime and the musicical bend is rock or metal. If you ask me, that's where Watanabe's best work comes from are the shows where the soundtrack is just as memorable as the writing. Terror in Resonance was phenomenal too but it didn't have a standout OST like the rest did. Hell, even Space Dandy had a disco pop bend which fit well with the goofiness of the writing.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry but does anyone else see Angela and just see Edward 20 years in the future ?
Zof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
I'm sorry but does anyone else see Angela and just see Edward 20 years in the future ?

What would be awesome would be if it's Françoise's relative somehow and they work that in.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
And just like that, Angela stole my heart~. Actually, Carole is still my favored design, but each of them looks nice. I'm curious what the full cast will look like.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:48 am Reply with quote
Anyone expecting a cute "Girlfriends" tale with songs is obviously completely unfamiliar with the extant body of works from Watanabe and BONES. Terror in Resonance wasn't actually a tale of a couple of angry kids getting their revenge by blowing stuff up and teasing the cops in the process. It was a paean against the system of bureaucrats who are unaccountable to the public or even to the officials the public elects who make decisions which effect the public regardless.

Carole & Tuesday will, I think, be mostly an allegoric tale relating to the modern corporate-controlled mass media, mostly the Japanese one where the music scene is dominated by manufactured and controlled girl idol groups like AKB 48. The idea of people rediscovering an alien concept, real music made by real people because two girls with a guitar and an electric piano decide to take to the streets is appealing. There's a certain "2112" vibe to it. But hey, some people are hoping for another yuri....
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
I'm also disappointed Yoko Kanno won't be involved, but that also makes me even more curious where Watanabe is going with this. He usually only doesn't involve her when it's a genre that is outside her expertise -- like with Samurai Champloo, since it was hip-hop. Or for some other creative, idiosyncratic reason. That with the really wide talent search that they did for these characters, and I'm wondering if there's more to the musical story here. I can't wait!

I also, obviously, would like for this to be yuri or yuri-ish, but I'm sure I'll be up for whatever he has in store. I wasn't as fond of Terror in Resonance and feel like Watanabe isn't the best at stuff that's too overtly political, but this looks like it will be his usual pattern where whatever deeper messages are there are secondary to other stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
I don't know how I missed or forgot the announcement for this, but I am HYPED now! Which anime director does music themes better than Watanabe? And shout-outs to Beyonce, Adele, Cyndi Lauper, plus rock, metal & jazz in the character descriptions! It sounds like it's gonna be awesome!
(& I don't know what the commentor above is talking about; Terror in Resonance's music was my favorite part of that show!)

Question---why is everyone assuming that not including Yoko Kanno was Watanabe's choice? I love her, too, but we can't expect them to work on everything together!
Nobooks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
Anyone expecting a cute "Girlfriends" tale with songs is obviously completely unfamiliar with the extant body of works from Watanabe and BONES. Terror in Resonance wasn't actually a tale of a couple of angry kids getting their revenge by blowing stuff up and teasing the cops in the process. It was a paean against the system of bureaucrats who are unaccountable to the public or even to the officials the public elects who make decisions which effect the public regardless.

Carole & Tuesday will, I think, be mostly an allegoric tale relating to the modern corporate-controlled mass media, mostly the Japanese one where the music scene is dominated by manufactured and controlled girl idol groups like AKB 48. The idea of people rediscovering an alien concept, real music made by real people because two girls with a guitar and an electric piano decide to take to the streets is appealing. There's a certain "2112" vibe to it. But hey, some people are hoping for another yuri....

I'm not sure why you're suggesting it can't be both a yuri and have all those themes.

The strongest works centered around relationships also have other themes.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:55 am Reply with quote
Nobooks wrote:
Fred Lougee wrote:

I'm not sure why you're suggesting it can't be both a yuri and have all those themes.

The strongest works centered around relationships also have other themes.

Because relationships beyond platonic are not Shinichiro Watanabe's gig. The man just plain don't go there.

And also, yuri has been dealt with so poorly in Anime. Look at Citrus, which is basically saying "Sexual harassment is perfectly acceptable if it's between girls."
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
And also, yuri has been dealt with so poorly in Anime. Look at Citrus, which is basically saying "Sexual harassment is perfectly acceptable if it's between girls."

You know there's more approaches to the topic than Citrus, right? There is at least one anime that's done [insert thing] poorly. I don't know if that means we throw out [insert thing] all together as opposed to pointing out how crappy that anime did it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1