• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chihayafuru 3

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Honestly hands-down Anime of the Season already. First 3 episodes wasted no time, it feels almost as if the show never left! And we're already getting more great character development. Really can't wait to see how this goes. Next week is another double release - 4 and 5. I hope that means we'll see the entire match next week
Jason Rhoades

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:11 am Reply with quote
Just finished episode 3 myself. I can't explain whatever crabby patty formula they use to make me love it so much, but it hasn't lost its touch one bit and is my favorite airing anime.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Jason Rhoades wrote:
Just finished episode 3 myself. I can't explain whatever crabby patty formula they use to make me love it so much, but it hasn't lost its touch one bit and is my favorite airing anime.

You and me both! I especially loved the montage with Arata (his embarrassment on stage was so adorable) finding all those students with ties to Karuta but no one wanting to join a club.

Quote:
Chihaya and Taichi are headed to a sleep-away karuta training camp with rival team Fujisaki. There's no hanky-panky, much to the disappointment of their clubmates (and every fan on #TeamTaichi)

Kana’s expression was priceless when she realized the couple had made zero progress. But I’m #TeamArata all the way!
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:27 am Reply with quote
I can't handle this show, it's too good. Episodes seem to last 3 minutes. The way they always frame the adults as supportive but still struggling through life like the rest of us Crying or Very sad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:49 am Reply with quote
I'm just so damn happy that we're getting more Chihayafuru. I've had a big smile on my face as I've watched the first 5 episodes and can't wait to see what will happen next. I really loved the inclusion of Chihaya's mother in the latest episode as that was something that I thought had been missing for awhile now. Also I'm somewhat excited to see if Arata can eventually mangle together a team and play against Mizusawa High School. I'm still pretty... hesitant on the two first years in the club. I'm pretty sure the tongue-guy had like zero screentime thus far and the fashion girl only stares longingly at Taichi. Not sure if they're ever going to amount to something, but I'm fully invested in seeing what happens as the series rolls on.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:38 am Reply with quote
I was so afraid they'd have Haruka start messing up either because she could hear her kid crying with her Super Mom Hearing Powers, or when the older one barged in, and I can't tell you how happy I was that it didn't affect her game at all, unless it was to make it even sharper. She's a great character and such a treat.

Quote:
maybe we'll finally get the romantic payoff we've been waiting for.

Sorry, I'm Team Arata too. Actually, I don't care if Arata (or anyone) wins Chihaya's heart or not, I just want him to get more screen time. I also hope that after this tournament we can get some more time with the rest of the sidekick team, though with the big one coming up, that's probably not in the cards.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
One thing mentioned in the episode but maybe difficult to notice in the translation is that Haruka Inokuma's maiden name is Haruka Chihara, which is why she, like Ayase Chihaya, really likes to get the Chihayafuru card, and it was a big deal that Ayase got it from her.

Personally, I really enjoy Taichi discussing which cards have what number critical mora based on which are left. It's not too hard to follow, and more exciting to me than the striking at cards.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
Well, i guess i'm Team Taichi then as in "i like him better than Arata"...but overall i don't really care much about the romance in this show. If anything i ship Chihaya with Shinobu. Cool

But yeah, still loving this show and it's especially nice to see more adult players.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm still pretty... hesitant on the two first years in the club. I'm pretty sure the tongue-guy had like zero screentime thus far and the fashion girl only stares longingly at Taichi. Not sure if they're ever going to amount to something, but I'm fully invested in seeing what happens as the series rolls on.

It didn't even register with me that I have absolutely no memory of seeing tongue-guy in these episodes. I like him with his little brothers though. The kids tend to be pretty cute in this show.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mike33rs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:34 am Reply with quote
Everything about this show is truly first rate, in my opinion. Down to the music, the visuals, and the story. The first two seasons flew by, even in repeat viewings. I am definitely in the "Team Arata" camp! He's gotten so little screen time in this series, and I'm hoping he gets more. I feel like he really likes Chihaya, and their true passion for Kurata makes them a great fit. Plus, Taichi is really a jerk. He was as a kid, and he still is now. It does seem like their paths are definitely heading towards that big Kurata showdown that's bound to happen. Bring it on! GO TEAM ARATA!!!
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
While I like Chihayafuru, I kinda hate the way the love triangle is playing out, when normally I like romance in shoujo and josei.

On one hand, Arata and Chihaya barely ever interact, and it's largely on purpose. They have cellphones and email, but mostly they (or maybe mostly Arata) refuse to use them, so they can keep each other at arm's length, which is kinda the opposite of romantic.

On the other hand, there's Taichi who actually spends time with Chihaya. To me it'd make more sense for her to date him, except she clearly has zero interest in him.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
On the other hand, there's Taichi who actually spends time with Chihaya. To me it'd make more sense for her to date him, except she clearly has zero interest in him.

She might look at Taichi differently were he to win this match. The scene where she looks up and says to herself, "Oh, it's Taichi," might be a foreshadowing.

But Chihaya's first love will always be karuta. It will be hard for any man to come between her and her game.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
There are thousands of shoujo/josei manga to consume if you want romance.

I like Chihayafuru exactly because of how very little romance is in it, and in particular, how the female lead has way more stuff on her mind than just getting romantically closer to the cute boys around her.
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
There are thousands of shoujo/josei manga to consume if you want romance.

I like Chihayafuru exactly because of how very little romance is in it, and in particular, how the female lead has way more stuff on her mind than just getting romantically closer to the cute boys around her.

My point wasn't that I wanted there to be more romance in it, but rather usually I like romance, so if I dislike the romance in some media, the author is probably kinda doing it wrong. Honestly, I think I'd like it more if there were no hints at romance because Chihaya doesn't seem the type of person to be interested. What's bugging me is the meta-knowledge that probably she'll get together with one of them because of all the hints at romance, even though I don't think it's actually working. I might change my opinion if it turns out actually the author has tricked me into thinking this is how it's turning out, but then actually she doesn't get together with anyone, or if the author manages to write some character arc that's convincing enough.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
This show is 99.9% card-slapping.

Seriously, it boggles my mind how despite the vast amount of card-slapping, the romance or which boy Chihaya might end up with seems to be main focus of discussion. I swear it's like I'm watching a different show than everyone else.

Taichi finally seems to be playing karuta not just to impress Chihaya but rather to further his own abilities. Seeing him come up with a specialized strategy against Chihaya shows how seriously he is taking it now and how far along he has come. I look forward to seeing if/how Chihaya can manage her offensive-style karuta despite Taichi's card positioning making it so difficult as he has all the single syllable cards in one line. Though Chihaya's growth in determining the pitch/intonation of the first syllable might be just what she needs to throw Taichi off as he has placed the two-syllable cards in separate corners. Also as the episode had mentioned previously, Taichi had to play his semi-final match whereas Chihaya got to sleep through hers, so Taichi's stamina might come into play in the tail end of the match. Looking forward to see who ends up winning the tournament.

There we go. Commentary about the actual content of the episode itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4