• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Girls School Creator Publicly Airs Grievances About Editor Following Manga's Early Can

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amy192

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
damn and they only offered 300,000 yen for a bribe after all they did (300,000 yen is 2175.90 GBP/2816.10USD)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Futaba claimed in this afterword that their editor would .... write typos and omit words,
sounds like this "Editor" works for US streaming sites lol.

Awful situation though. I hope Futaba can get their money.
Robiii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Damn imagine making ur dream come true and draw manga for a big company only for some idiot to ruin literally everything with his behaviour. I would’ve kicked his ass 10 times if I was the artist.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Haru Futaba sounds like a woman, and as we know, chauvinism is a commonplace issue in Japan.
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Haru Futaba sounds like a woman, and as we know, chauvinism is a commonplace issue in Japan.

Unfortunately this is the first thing that came to my mind as well. Not that it is impossible for this to happen to a guy, but it's much easier not to take a woman seriously and dismiss her claims than it is to do so against a man. The fact that the editor who did this to her did not get fired despite his behaviour actively destroying her series, cannot be explained otherwise.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I seriously doubt it was the editor's fault. I do not mean to say the editor did not pushed this mangaka out of the door, what I mean to say is that if the editor was not simply following orders, this should have been solved when the mangaka talked to the editor in chief who would have assigned another editor (and maybe even fired said editor); but the editor in chief didn't which IMO means that sales were not good enough to warrant keep printing said manga. Remember nowadays mangas are bombing right and left and no one wants to get the axe.

I can bet good money we will not hear about any new manga from said mangaka, unless it is self published since no big company in japan wants to work with someone that publicly airs grievances, specially one that secretly records their private conversations.
Serinox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
since no big company in japan wants to work with someone that publicly airs grievances

Makoto Raiku and Koji Kumeta had no problems to work for another big publisher after leaving their publisher while making the grievances between them public.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Serinox wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
since no big company in japan wants to work with someone that publicly airs grievances

Makoto Raiku and Koji Kumeta had no problems to work for another big publisher after leaving their publisher while making the grievances between them public.

Neither did Naoko Takeuchi, but said mangakas were pretty famous with well known anime adaptions from their works. Here we have a mangaka who is not even on the ANN encyclopedia (heck, said manga is not even scanlated) so there is nothing for any editorial to gain.

It is sad but it is well known that when they no longer want you in a company, they will make your life miserable for you to go away, still remember when someone at P.A: works complained they were making him(her?) pay for the desk where all work was to be done. Never heard from him(her?) again.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I can bet good money we will not hear about any new manga from said mangaka, unless it is self published since no big company in japan wants to work with someone that publicly airs grievances, specially one that secretly records their private conversations.

Japan is pretty big on the belief on not rocking the boat even if you may have legitimate reasons to do so. And sometimes recording conversations and posting screencaps of text messages is necessary otherwise people may think you're full of shit.

mangamuscle wrote:
]

Neither did Naoko Takeuchi, but said mangakas were pretty famous with well known anime adaptions from their works. Here we have a mangaka who is not even on the ANN encyclopedia (heck, said manga is not even scanlated) so there is nothing for any editorial to gain.

Outside of screwing someone over either out of spite or pettiness?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
And sometimes recording conversations and posting screencaps of text messages is necessary otherwise people may think you're full of shit.

We are in 2020, anyone can download free apps to alter screenshots and audio files Hell, nowadays with enough screenshots and audio samples a deepfake video like in the movie The Running Man with arnold schwarzeneger can be created.

mangamuscle wrote:
Outside of screwing someone over either out of spite or pettiness?

Not sure what you mean, but if you mean big publishers screwing mangakas "because they can", they would very soon dry of creative talent, since it is a free creative market (unlike marvel or DC), in japan you own your published work and mangakas would avoid a publisher with such a shady reputation.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
We are in 2020, anyone can download free apps to alter screenshots and audio files Hell, nowadays with enough screenshots and audio samples

We are in 2020 and people still engage in shady behavior behind other people's back's creating the self fulfilling prophecy of people making sure they have recorded or documented conversations for stuff. I mean this story can very well be a manufactured controversy but it can also be a potentially legitimate problem.

mangamuscle wrote:
Not sure what you mean,

Money or prestige doesn't have to be involved in order to conspire against someone you can do it simply because you want to see them fail or you just plain hate them.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:38 pm Reply with quote
So, uh... what was this manga about? Aside from, presumably, a girls' school.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

Haru is a unisex name. Which also might indicate it's a pen name. "Haru Futaba" seems odd name to me, like the kind of name a westerner would make up to name their Japanese OC or something. Maybe it is their real name though.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
We are in 2020 and people still engage in shady behavior behind other people's back's creating the self fulfilling prophecy of people making sure they have recorded or documented conversations for stuff. I mean this story can very well be a manufactured controversy but it can also be a potentially legitimate problem.

It wouldn't be the first time someone had their comic cancelled and the author took to social media to insist it was a grand conspiracy against them to turn people against the publisher. But yeah, it could also be true. Not really enough info to make a definitive conclusion. But a lot of series do get cancelled in Japan. Magazines are pretty competitive and rotate new titles a lot until one just so happens to stick.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
For the curious, Shueisha has a preview on their website: https://www.s-manga.net/items/contents.html?isbn=978-4-08-891278-3. Click the blue button in the center of the page to see the first 10 pages of vol 1 in their reader. It’s a pretty lewd manga, tbh.

Also, the phone’s theme and wallpaper, along with the josei cover art for the manga strongly suggests that Haru is a woman.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
For the curious, Shueisha has a preview on their website: https://www.s-manga.net/items/contents.html?isbn=978-4-08-891278-3. Click the blue button in the center of the page to see the first 10 pages of vol 1 in their reader. It’s a pretty lewd manga, tbh.

Also, the phone’s theme and wallpaper, along with the josei cover art for the manga strongly suggests that Haru is a woman.

spoiler[manga starts with I guess bussiness woman grabbing man by his nuts. Wtf...]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1