• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Log Horizon Anime's 3rd Season Premieres on January 13

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:41 am Reply with quote
I still believe that if Log Horizon had a better studio when it debuted it would almost been as big as SAO.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:05 am Reply with quote
ooooh, I can't wait! I'm so excited! Very Happy
Zapdos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:04 am Reply with quote
Database!Database!Database!
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:56 am Reply with quote
Was hoping for 24 episodes Sad
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
Very hyped for the new season.

A bit disappointed it is only 12 episodes.

However, this could be a good thing if they go more in-depth and provide a more comprehensive review of the novel contents without skipping content.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I still believe that if Log Horizon had a better studio when it debuted it would almost been as big as SAO.
Log Horizon was pretty well liked when it came out and I know a lot of fans who like it better than SAO and it's done well enough to get a third season after all this time.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

I don't think that would've helped much. Log Horizon scratches a different itch than early SAO. It has power fantasy elements, but the story takes an increasingly macro perspective as it goes on. Even among Log Horizon fans it's popular to criticize season two for focusing too much on supporting characters over Shiroe; and that's despite condensing an entire volume into a single episode to cut back on that.

Bisuketto wrote:
A bit disappointed it is only 12 episodes.

Not enough material to adapt, unfortunately. In fact, I don't think the full contents of the upcoming season are even available in purchasable LN form yet. It took the author a while to pick up the pieces after that whole tax evasion debacle, I guess.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

It's not nearly as much of a wish-fulfillment male power fantasy, so I doubt it.

There aren't many people who fantasize about being a support character and buffing other people to make them stronger or handling crowd control.
kytten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Please please let this do well, please let this answer questions, please let us get MORE in the future oh gods.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, can't wait to get back to the DATABASE DATABASE LIVIN IN THE DATABASE WHA WHOA
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Nah. Not self insert with harem wish fulfillment enough, too talky and not enough fighting, not very high stakes (they don't die irl if they die in game), not enough fanservice/hot girls (too many dudes in the party). It's a much more niche title that'd appeal to much less people. It's not one people can just shut their brain off and watch like SAO.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:27 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

It's not nearly as much of a wish-fulfillment male power fantasy, so I doubt it.

There aren't many people who fantasize about being a support character and buffing other people to make them stronger or handling crowd control.
So it really could have been bigger than SAO. This is very appealing a wide section of geek culture. It goes in-depth to the battle systems of the types of games they like, the main character is relatable to them, well the being a great MMORPG player, I doubt any of them have a devoted female servants.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
All I know to know is that Database will be the opening song. it has to be. Its the anthem of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1