• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utawarerumono Franchise Marks 20th Anniversary With Monochrome Moebius Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:35 am Reply with quote
Well, they sure took a weird name for a game that totally looks and sounds like an actual prequel to the Mask of Deception (and midquel in the main series timeline), with what they have shown - though it also can be more than that.

Anyway, I totally excited with what they trying to pull, though seems like they are going off from the VN route to make a tight-budget JRPG this time.
catone2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:50 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Well, they sure took a weird name for a game that totally looks and sounds like an actual prequel to the Mask of Deception (and midquel in the main series timeline), with what they have shown - though it also can be more than that.

Anyway, I totally excited with what they trying to pull, though seems like they are going off from the VN route to make a tight-budget JRPG this time.

I think it's because this time there is no "Hakuoro" and masked protagonist. So no "Legend Sung." The girl is human though...

Regardless, finally getting the story they talked about set between 1 and 2 is exciting.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
As a side note, Naoya Shimokawa is Aquaplus' CEO and is being credited as the "music director." Not sure if that means he's actually composing the music since Michio Kinugasu, who composed the music for the other games in the series, passed away last year.

Also worth nothing that Shimokawa has confirmed on Twitter that Monochrome Moebius is *not* a mobile game. It'll almost definitely target PS4/5 as its primary platforms since that's what Zan 2 was on. Switch and PC are a maybe-but-I-wouldn't-bet-on-it since Dokapon UP had a Switch release (but they otherwise have no Switch experience) and they did in-house ports of the main Utaware games but otherwise haven't done PC development in a long time.

catone2 wrote:
The girl is human though...

While she seems to have human ears, that doesn't necessarily mean she's human; Mask of Deception & Truth have Uruuru & Saraana whose only demihuman feature is their horns, and Lost Frag has spoiler[androids who look human].
catone2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
As a side note, Naoya Shimokawa is Aquaplus' CEO and is being credited as the "music director." Not sure if that means he's actually composing the music since Michio Kinugasu, who composed the music for the other games in the series, passed away last year.

Also worth nothing that Shimokawa has confirmed on Twitter that Monochrome Moebius is *not* a mobile game. It'll almost definitely target PS4/5 as its primary platforms since that's what Zan 2 was on. Switch and PC are a maybe-but-I-wouldn't-bet-on-it since Dokapon UP had a Switch release (but they otherwise have no Switch experience) and they did in-house ports of the main Utaware games but otherwise haven't done PC development in a long time.

catone2 wrote:
The girl is human though...

While she seems to have human ears, that doesn't necessarily mean she's human; Mask of Deception & Truth have Uruuru & Saraana whose only demihuman feature is their horns, and Lost Frag has spoiler[androids who look human].

Wonder if that will bring any change to the musical themes of this and future games. I didn't know they passed away. Also, curious if this is a single game or heading to be another 2-part.

Oh, you're right. I completely forgot about them having the same features. In any case, the sequence of events in the OP are interesting when it turns to her and young Oshtor & Nekone.
Joa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

Naoya Shimokawa composed music for the other games in the series as well. All of the games had multiple composers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1