• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Anime Returns to Toonami

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheArsonAut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:29 pm Reply with quote
So they're skipping from 384 to 517? Hmmmmm. Confused
RockSplash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, same as the person above. This seems to be just as disastrous as last time. I don't understand why they didn't start back at episode 1. Honestly, if you are watching the OP dub, you are either deep into collecting the DVDs.
, or you have a funimation subscription(or their is piracy). I really doubt most people will be ok with going back to watch episodes already done, and those who want to get into it will be extremely lost.
Chris Handsome

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
They can pull a Dragon Ball GT and broadcast the episodes they skipped as "THE LOST EPISODES".
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:41 pm Reply with quote
TheArsonAut wrote:

At this point, it's for the best. Impel Down and Marineford are two of the most continuity-heavy arcs in One Piece, and it's been 5 years since the show last aired on US television. If they want new viewers to tune in, 517 is a decent starting point which reintroduces all the main characters and the first major arc (Fishman Island) is a decent back-to-basics arc to ease the audience in before the real post-timeskip story begins with Punk Hazard.

I'm okay with this. I do wish that they'd do two episodes a week every week though, considering they're years behind even where Funimation is.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:58 pm Reply with quote
With One Piece being available on almost every single streaming platform imaginable, it's pretty hard not to go back and check out what happened between the last episode that aired on Toonami and the upcoming episodes. It's for the best that they skipped forward.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:00 pm Reply with quote
TheArsonAut wrote:

Saobody, Impel Down, and Marineford... yeah. Totally makes sense to skip those arcs... Fishman Island, now that's one that can't be skipped at all, lol.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Toonami will air episodes 517-518 in a one-hour timeslot this weekend.

If they are airing 517-518 then the article visual should reflect that instead of posting a visual of a future arc. That was lazy on your part.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, third time is the charm as they say. Really what would be best for One Piece is if Toonami had a late night weekday block to air it 5 days in a row like old times. But Adult Swim would never sacrifice their original programming for such a thing.
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm less mad they skipped and more disappointed they're still 200+ episodes behind where the dub is currently at, lol. I get it's the best re-entry point but I don't really feel like rewatching episodes I've already seen before.

I do hope it does well though!
livin_large

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I mean, the skip is weird, but there's suspiciously alot of people out there who got into One Piece recently and started with the current Wano arc so it could be worse.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:03 am Reply with quote
This might get me back into One Piece. I watched it on Toonami, and tried streaming it after, but lost interest at some point.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Saobody, Impel Down, and Marineford... yeah. Totally makes sense to skip those arcs... Fishman Island, now that's one that can't be skipped at all, lol.

Since I haven't seen any OP since Thriller Bark ended on [as], I can't tell whether or how much of this is sarcastic. What am I missing in those 130+ episodes?
Dayraven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What am I missing in those 130+ episodes?

For Marineford especially, there’s a lot more use of returning characters than in earlier arcs, and a general sense that what’s going on is a world event that touches everyone, rather than an individual adventure.

Fish-Man Island goes back to the more standalone arcs to some extent, and it’s part of a reintroduction of the characters after a timeskip.

Which means that seems like a choice of Fish-Man Island as a good place to dive back in, versus the problem of losing an important chunk of the series.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:52 am Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
They can pull a Dragon Ball GT and broadcast the episodes they skipped as "THE LOST EPISODES".

One Piece would have to have an ending in order for that to work plus they never did go back to 1-206 for it's last run on the block.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Since I haven't seen any OP since Thriller Bark ended on [as], I can't tell whether or how much of this is sarcastic. What am I missing in those 130+ episodes?

No doubt it's heavy sarcasm. Marineford and Impeldown are arguably the most import arcs of the series where a lot of new characters are introduced and a lot of long-term goals and twists for the series happen. Fishman Island is a mostly forgettable arc that people felt dragged on too long and contributed nothing other than showcasing the Strawhats post-timeskip abilities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2