• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Arrested in Japan for Spreading Anime via Share Program

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
If P2P's are giving them so much trouble why don't they just torrent?
Shi-ne

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
But, it's nice to share.
cloud1989

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
but bit torrent is p2p, don't know what you are saying? Its works a little different and if anything its much less secure than share.
frubam

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
If they crack Share, I'd surmise that would devastate the fansubber's ability to fansub. Still, millions of people, both in and out of the country probably use it, it'd be hard to pinpoint exactly who's uploading what.
504NOSON

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Well,well,well... this is a new development,isn't it? Yea boys and girls,the day is fast approaching when Japanese p2p networks will no longer exist and fansub raws' will resort to the primitive days of relying on some video release as a raw source. So,you'll ultimately start to see them released at a much slower rate and subbing groups will begin dropping like flies during neighborhood pesticide season. And,maybe,just MAYBE... fans will actually buy Anime and support the domestic industry. But all i can tell youu is... You'd better start learning Japanese quick!!! Very Happy
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
frubam wrote:
If they crack Share, I'd surmise that would devastate the fansubber's ability to fansub. Still, millions of people, both in and out of the country probably use it, it'd be hard to pinpoint exactly who's uploading what.
But getting less hard as this report seems to suggest. Wink
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:34 am Reply with quote
504NOSON wrote:
Well,well,well... this is a new development,isn't it? Yea boys and girls,the day is fast approaching when Japanese p2p networks will no longer exist and fansub raws' will resort to the primitive days of relying on some video release as a raw source. So,you'll ultimately start to see them released at a much slower rate and subbing groups will begin dropping like flies during neighborhood pesticide season. And,maybe,just MAYBE... fans will actually buy Anime and support the domestic industry. But all i can tell youu is... You'd better start learning Japanese quick!!! Very Happy

Unfortunately over the past few months new devices such as the friio have appeared on the grey market, which allows for direct copying of the digital television transport streams... Already most of the biggest fansub groups have switched to using this as a source of raws instead of the slower (and lower quality) p2p networks.

So all this would end up doing is stopping the smaller groups from fansubbing and less popular shows would go unsubbed.

Also, although the story didn't mention it explicitly, remember that DOWNLOADING is still legal in Japan, and although share uses a cache system like all p2p networks, there is no precedent in Japan for prosecuting only based on files being shared after you downloaded them. The people arrested here (and the people previously arrested for winny) were all identified as the ORIGINAL sources for files, i.e. the original uploader/cappers.

And, actually, to be brutally honest, all this will do is push the development and user-base of "perfect dark"... and there's no way they're cracking that one any time soon, it's built like fort knox.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
For some reason the fact that the software creator was arrested just strikes me the wrong way, he just made software that could be used transfer files. Why is that a crime? just because people commit crimes with it, doesn't change the fact that the software can have other uses, and the anonmity features can aid in Free speech.

I think it is stupid for governments to waste their time on hunting these people, mostly since everytime they break a p2p another one will already be ready to replace it. Like any other arms race.

I don't know about the japanese local sales, but domestic US movie sales still keep going higher and higher even with us being in a Recession.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Well it seems about time. They cracked share almost a year ago, if not longer.

As far as Perfect Dark, wasn't that slated to go to open source by the creator?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
504NOSON wrote:

Unfortunately over the past few months new devices such as the friio have appeared on the grey market, which allows for direct copying of the digital television transport streams... Already most of the biggest fansub groups have switched to using this as a source of raws instead of the slower (and lower quality) p2p networks.

So all this would end up doing is stopping the smaller groups from fansubbing and less popular shows would go unsubbed.

Also, although the story didn't mention it explicitly, remember that DOWNLOADING is still legal in Japan, and although share uses a cache system like all p2p networks, there is no precedent in Japan for prosecuting only based on files being shared after you downloaded them. The people arrested here (and the people previously arrested for winny) were all identified as the ORIGINAL sources for files, i.e. the original uploader/cappers.

And, actually, to be brutally honest, all this will do is push the development and user-base of "perfect dark"... and there's no way they're cracking that one any time soon, it's built like fort knox.

But use of Friio means that a member or friend of a member of a fansub group lives in an area of Japan with the HD broadcast so that is cutting down file access.

When Perfect Dark goes open source, then there will be more opportunities to crack it.

Adding more complications onto obtaining a file makes the access to the files less.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

Thats the same thing they said about Share... and Winny, and all of the other programs. PDs security is not that much better.

What nobody is saying is the real reason these people got caught is they were using a trip and thus their files were tagged. This makes it much easier to trace the file. Also, until recently, one of them was also using Winny.
ani12

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Good, now they are cracking down on illegal downloading there, too.
Chiaki777

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
and so it starts to snowball. Say goodbye to free anime kids. Say hello to stifled and carefully metered out distribution in the states.
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ani12 wrote:
Good, now they are cracking down on illegal downloading there, too.

Actually weren't they uploaders?
daxomni

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I think it's about time.

The pirates are not true fans in my view and it's time for them to go. The more pressure they face the better I feel. Don't want to pay? Then go find some other hobby.

Viga_of_stars wrote:
If P2P's are giving them so much trouble why don't they just torrent?

I think you need to read up on what's really going on here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4