• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Dirty High

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness Namco left Klonoa's character design alone! Anime exclamation I took part in that survey...and every question I answered scared me more and more that they were going to go through with a redesign of some sort no matter what. I guess the company gets some kudos points for actually listening to the fanbase.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
I saw that Klonoa poll, and liked the original best despite never having played it. Nice to see they listened to people.

Is Ar Tonelico that really innuendo filled one?
*Searches youtube*

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JoODv8LVib8

Yes. Yes it is.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
I don't think I'm enough of a masochist to subject myself to another Masami Obari production. I already rank Virus Buster Serge as just about the worst piece of entertainment ever produced.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
Oh man! I never heard about the Klonoa redesign survey, but I'm glad the fans stuck with the original design. While that new design isn't bad looking, it smacks of trying to add "BAD ATTITUDE YEAH!!" to what is a pretty cute series. And then we'd just have the next Sonic or something all over again. The original Klonoa for PS1 is one of my favorite games of all time!! Anime cry I think I might only like the games in their original 2.5D platform format- I got a GBA game and it kind of sucks.

Also, your description of Masami Obari designs is amazing because it's pure truth. I also hate the weird squishy-faced women with snaggleteeth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If the katakana is any indication, her name is indeed pronounced “Vanilla.” You can fill in the jokes from there.

I don't get it.

EDIT: btw, just as I posted this, I got to "the battle theme" on the FFXIII website. I like how it works in "the main theme" of FFXIII that we usually hear in trailers, but for the most part there's not much "excitement" in the piece. The techno parts don't do anything for me, either.

In short, I hope it's not actually the battle theme.

EDIT 2:

Showsni wrote:
I saw that Klonoa poll, and liked the original best despite never having played it. Nice to see they listened to people.

*Searches youtube*

Yes. Yes it is.

Yeah...

No thanks.

But if that's what you're into...

Whatever.
Uthred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:51 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

But if that's what you're into...

Innuendo now merits an "if thats what youre into" and an ominous ellipsis trail off? I would have thought such treatment required a little more than that, perhaps childhood exposure to Carry On has warped my sensibilities.
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While this may mean fewer terrible Guilty Gear spin-offs, I would really miss the series, and BlazBlue just isn't the same.

Arc System Works self-published their last two GG games (handled by Aksys Games for North America). Now, does this effect the entire series in name, or the first few GG games? What about future titles?

Also, BlazBlue has a lot of potential. I saw a few videos of people playing it at the arcades here in the States and I'm looking forward to see it possibly brought to home consoles.
GG was a cool series, but kind of lost me after XX.
A.B.A was the only thing keeping me interested, but now I have Taokaka to carry the torch and I'm ready to dive in.

On somewhat related news, Gaijin Games is coming out with a Wiiware game called Bit.Trip Beat. It's exactly what it sounds like and worth checking out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote
Ah~
I liked the campy battle voices from the original Star Ocean: The Second Story. Smile

Though I obviously won't mind a redub, as I'm loving the voices in First Departure. Having Welch and Pericci in my party at the same time is like asking for death by cuteness.
The only thing I don't like that they added is the 3-hit combo. In the original ps1 SO game, when in semi-auto and you kill an enemy, you immediately start running for the next closest enemy. Now, if you kill an enemy on the first hit and you're mashing the attack button, you end up attaking two more times into thin air before you'll retarget and head for the next enemy. This can be very, very bad in early boss fights. Other than that, I love it. Now I just need to get the right combination of party members so I can recruit Erys and unlock the last movie in the gallery.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:

*Searches youtube*

Yes. Yes it is.

Wow. That's pathetic.

As for those Gundam games, I'd like to play all of them! I played the arcade game where you're in the cockpit, but the cockpit is too small and un-adjustable. Myself, as a 5'11" gaijin, I couldn't fit fully into it. That made using the foot pedals really difficult.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Whoo hoo hooo now that stuff about 'Gowcaizer' had me laughing. Never saw the game, but I do remember a friend showing us the opening. Hooo boy. Shaking all the over the place. It's funny that 'Masami Obari's mecha work is really good stuff. His directing isn't too shabby either. But I guess you really know him when it comes to his designs. Nothing like jello filled torpedos. They shake so much there ought to be a law against it. Giving jello a bad name.

Glad they didn't change Klonoa. To be honest I never knew what the hell he was. Cat? I always thought he was a dog or a "critter". But does anyone really care? Nobody wants badass 'Klonoa', he was bad ass being cute. No ear cropping please.

Well, I'm pretty much down for 'AT2'. But yeah, it's a bit much. Looks like the typical sim element isn't for your PC anymore. While this transition isn't bad, I personally prefer RPGs to being less OVERLOADED. Anything over 80 hours of gameplay is too much. Especially extra stuff being REQUIRED to finish. But hey, who am I to complain. If it draws you in enough then hey... The one thing someone pointed out about AT2 is that while some of the stuff seems a bit much it's not useless as it does help advance the story. Like bathing. Shocked Oh Gust how could you? Nothing like keep geeks' asses glued to the chair. You'll love us for it. Now if I can just get around to starting the first game.

Ok, SquareE, can you hurry up and give us some more content other than what we've looked at for the past year and a half now?

And Gundam is still imortal.
skwid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Silly Namco. How would Klonoa fly without his big ears?

So there is an American release? Great if it's definite. Just have to get it to Europe after that.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
I took part in that Klonoa survey too, I'm thinking a lot of people threatened to boycot the game if they changed the design perhaps. But I mean, seriously, how would that redesign work?

I went to GameStop yesterday to reserve Klonoa, but it wasn't in their database, so I couldn't, grrr! I probably won't go again until it actually comes out, I got a ride there yesterday, but otherwise, its a 2 mile walk both ways, so I can't just go there whenever.

Otherwise, I cannot wait to play a remake of a game I already own!
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, Success. Also renowned for the Psyvariar shooters that emphasized "buzzing" bullets to level up your craft.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote
Thank the Gods of Gaming, they didn't redesign Klonoa! I didn't know about the survey either, but if I did, I would've never voted for that mutated Aero the Acrobat ripoff. *shudders*

Klonoa quickly became one of my favorite series after stumbling across Lunatea's Veil at a flea market- but I never have played the original. If it does come out stateside, I will buy a Wii. I even have a spot picked out to put it, just in case.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
FFXIII will be out "some time" in Japan...wow, and Squeenix is still showing us the same goddamn press photos we've been seeing for two years now. And people wonder why the company doesn't get as much respect from some of its more jaded fans...

Seriously, why don't they just say "Delayed until Nomura makes up his mind and stops starting on new projects just because the idea flew into his head and he can't even focus on finishing one project at a time and doing it well, so the game probably won't be as good as all the hype and time that was put into it would have you believe"?

Oh and to the above poster wondering about the "Vanilla" jokes...what male-produced substance has a similar color to vanilla, hmm? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3