• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chiaki Kuriyama's Gundam UC Song Gets Overseas Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote
You mean the first "blu-ray" will be on sale exclusively, I presume.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
Sweet trailer! Glad I preordered. Very Happy

No preorder option up yet for a DVD version. Guess it's check back after 3/12/10.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
Really? Out of all the other talented artists around to sing for Gundam, they pick a talentless hack to perform to "promote her" and they release her single worldwide. Sad...
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Only on sale for two months?

Does that mean itll only be sold for two months or that itll be on sale (a reduced price) for two months?
Enjeru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Really? Out of all the other talented artists around to sing for Gundam, they pick a talentless hack to perform to "promote her" and they release her single worldwide. Sad...

Well I heard they tried to contact you to do the single because of your many talents which in include singing Rolling Eyes

People with no talent of their own trying to point out other people's flaws.....Sad....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:

Do you have something personal against her, or what?

The song isn't that bad. It's not spectacular or anything, but it's better than some of the other songs for Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sdhd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I will pre-order the blu-ray dvd. I won't buy the song or the cd. I am disappointed about the opening song. Compare this song to the other opening songs this song is missing something... I guess that's why Bandai have made it available for purchase.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
eh, i don't know, something about Chiaki Kuriyama trying to be a pop idol is just...
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Only on sale for two months?

Does that mean itll only be sold for two months or that itll be on sale (a reduced price) for two months?

It means places other than just Amazon can sell it after the 2 months.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Enjeru wrote:
Well I heard they tried to contact you to do the single because of your many talents which in include singing Rolling Eyes

People with no talent of their own trying to point out other people's flaws.....Sad....

Before you act like the pot calling the kettle black, you have no idea why my outside interests or talent may be. I for one have a musical background, having played three instruments while growing up. I'm free to criticize whomever I wish, and this particular artist is no exception.

penguintruth wrote:

The song isn't that bad. It's not spectacular or anything, but it's better than some of the other songs for Gundam.

I don't have a grudge against her, but Gundam is just a plot to gain artists attention to try and promote them... which they often fail at once they've been taken off the "Gundam" promo base. The song itself isn't that bad, it's just the singer doesn't give it any depth. Had it of been handed off to another singer with a deeper voice/vocal range, I'd say it would work better.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Deacon Blues wrote:

Yeah I've noticed a fairly negative reaction to this song on Gundam forums and topics and I can't understand it either. Then again I can't understand most of the negative reactions that occur towards things surrounding Gundam these days.

I for one happen to like the song and think it fits in with the whole U.C vibe (ballads have often been a part of Gundam in general) that Unicorn is trying to ressurect. I'm also not getting this lack of feeling either which is usually an off putting part of pop idol songs to me (seriously some of them are just so shrill, soulless, and an assault on the ear drums that's it's nice to have a restrained performance like Chiaki Kuriyama's if nothing else), but then I guess different people pull different things from different sources.

It's funny how stark a constrast the reaction to pop idol songs are in different circles though isn't it? For example I thought that the theme song that Haruhi fans are raving about for the new Haruhi movie by Chihara Minori is as dead and souless as they come and also that it's sung on way to high an octave whereas some Gundam fans call Ryusei No Namida an unimpressive song that is only there for promotional consideration and I think it's suitable and sincere.....for a pop idol song that is. It's no Eternal Wind, but it's a decent ballad.

Also this song isn't the opening theme, it's the ending theme. Long standing Gundam fans should note that opening songs usually bring the energy whereas the ending themes are often ballads just like this one that are meant to bring down the tension level at the end of the episode. This song pretty much tells me exactly how it's going to be used in the OVA and in what context and I think it's going to be really well handled. I'll be curious to see if people change their mind with this theme song by the end of the first OVA.

Deacon Blues wrote:

The song itself isn't that bad, it's just the singer doesn't give it any depth. Had it of been handed off to another singer with a deeper voice/vocal range, I'd say it would work better.

Yeah....I don't see how it's getting much deeper for this type of song. Confused
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
Heheheh, why do many actors think they can sing? Laughing
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Heheheh, why do many actors think they can sing? Laughing

By all means tell us what is oh so wrong with this song. Laughing
NevilleLeck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
By all means tell us what is oh so wrong with this song. ---and maybe
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:23 am Reply with quote
I don't think anyone would have anything against Chiaki Kuriyama, if they didn't know her from Battle Royale or Kill Bill and if the singer was Lady Gaga or Rihanna people would accuse the bashers of being weeaboos or japanophiles. I think her voice sounds pleasant. There have been several actors who are also good singers like Leslie Cheung, Sally Yeh, Meiko Kaji and Dean Martin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2