• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Publisher Shueisha Reports 1st Fiscal Year in the Red

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random_Guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
So, they are persuing scanlators because......?
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Huh... so manga sales are up, literature is down? Guess it makes sense--people prefer light-hearted entertainment when times are tough in reality. But does that mean that $49 million loss was *only* due to the devaluation of their real estate? What else does a big publisher like Shueisha do for revenue?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
Random_Guy wrote:

Because the general trend is down. One publisher showing a slight growth in one year hardly changes that...especially when the publisher in question has the rights to the sales record-breaking One Piece.

Because the scan aggregation sites stand in the way of the legal rights holders pursuing their own online plans.

Because if you discover you're playing host to a lot of voracious, blood-sucking parasites you tend to want to cleanse yourself of them.

Or was that supposed to be a rhetorical question?
lascd123

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
Random_Guy wrote:

I would imagine that even though the numbers for overall manga are up, they are only so high because of properties like one piece and naruto which have sold millions of copies in their first print running. Chances are the average manga series that does not have ridiculous popularity is very much effected by scanlations, hence why they are pursuing them more severely.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
This isn't that bad. 2009 is included, and 2008/2009 were terrible years for everyone due to the recession. Things are starting to stabilize across the board during 2010, so their next fiscal year should be better.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Random_Guy wrote:

...scanlators have to do with overseas sales, not Japanese sales, as is being reported here.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Random_Guy wrote:

...most literary works state for PRIVATE use only & thus one must ASK permission of the holders of the copyright before sharing. Most every scanner I know if has not asked for this permission & thus does not possess it.

It's sort of like someone coming up to me to ask if they can borrow your car & I say "Sure". I lack the power to grant that permission to use your stuff as scanners lack that power to share works created by someone other than themselves. The best they can do would maybe be just text & even that is most likely not allowed because they didn't have permission in the first case.

Or that dumpster cat thing people have been talking about. Even outside the argument of cruelty, the gal that came upon that cat & put it into that dumpster didn't own the cat & thus had no permission to put that cat into a dumpster where it spent several hours before being rescued.
Keep your hands off other people's stuff.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Is this a bad sign?
VDZ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
So sales are increasing, yet they're making a loss?

Oh well. It must be those damn pirates!
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
VDZ wrote:
So sales are increasing, yet they're making a loss?

Oh well. It must be those damn pirates!

They do, of course, have reason to be worried about the threat of piracy hitting them, as it has hit the domestic anime market, but this story reports sales as up, though slightly ~ the loss is due to losing 1/4 of their advertising revenue.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Is no one even listening?

THIS IS ABOUT JAPANESE SALES. JAPANESE SALES.

Most of the piracy affects NON-JAPANESE SALES.

Enough with the scanlation talk. Entirely OT.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Random_Guy wrote:

Photobucket
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Is no one even listening?

THIS IS ABOUT JAPANESE SALES. JAPANESE SALES.

Quite. They have good reason to be worried about piracy affecting Japanese manga, with the rising popularity of mangascan sites ... as piracy has already hit anime in Japan ... but the report here is of falling revenue in the face of a small increase in sales. Its ad revenue that's off, which suggests that the sluggish growth of the past four quarters ... 09Q3 -0.26%, 09Q4 +1% 10Q1 +1.09% 10Q2 +0.10% (all in annual terms) ... an average of +0.48% ... is leading to advertisers looking for where to trim budgets.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
DarkCyradis wrote:
Huh... so manga sales are up, literature is down? Guess it makes sense--people prefer light-hearted entertainment when times are tough in reality. But does that mean that $49 million loss was *only* due to the devaluation of their real estate? What else does a big publisher like Shueisha do for revenue?

My guess is the largest chunk that made them go in the red is the lower advertising revenue aspect. That is where the meat and potatoes come from in industries like publishing. Particularly periodicals. So when it comes down to it even though sales are up, they are ultimately getting less bang for their buck for each issue sold.

Realize agila61 already pointed this out, though in a less direct way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
My guess is the largest chunk that made them go in the red is the lower advertising revenue aspect. That is where the meat and potatoes come from in industries like publishing. Particularly periodicals. So when it comes down to it even though sales are up, they are ultimately getting less bang for their buck for each issue sold.

Ahh, that makes sense. But in that case, it's more a problem of the entire economy being down/the usual companies being unable to afford to run ads in the mags anymore. That makes me sad... wish the economy would pick up again (both in Japan and overseas).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2