• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV)

Genres: action, drama, magic, psychological, science fiction
Themes: Alternate history, mecha, military, mind control, politics, real robot, school, strategic minds, war

Plot Summary: The Empire of Britannia has invaded Japan using giant robot weapons called Knightmare Frames. Japan is now referred to as Area 11, and its people the 11's. A Britannian who was living in Japan at the time, Lelouch, vowed to his Japanese friend Suzaku that he'd destroy Britannia. Years later, Lelouch is in high school, but regularly skips out of school to go play chess and gamble on himself. One day, he stumbles on terrorists 11's who've stolen a military secret and is caught by a member of the Britannian task force sent after them, who is Suzaku. As the rest of the squad arrives, Suzaku is shot for disobeying orders, while the military secret, a young girl, gives Lelouch the power of Geass, which makes anyone obey any order. While Suzaku is secretly made the pilot of Britannia's brand new prototype Knightmare, Lancelot, Lelouch becomes the masked Zero to lead the rebellion to destroy Britannia once and for all.
----------------------------------

It's going to start on Adult Swim on Saturday April 26. I'm really looking forward to this, because the anime that's airing on Saturdays nowadays hasn't been that great aside from Death Note and Bleach.

I've heard that the dub premiered over at NYCC today( the trailer at least). Does anyone have anything to report?

EPISODE INDEX (Clicking the links below will take you to theapproximate post where we start discussing the content - story, characters, production, etc.)

Stage 1-The Day A New Demon Was Born
Stage 2-The White Knight Awakens
Stage 3-The False Classmate
Stage 4-His Name is Zero
Stage 5-The Princess and the Witch
Stage 6-The Stolen Mask
Stage 7-Attack Cornelia
Stage 8-The Black Knights
Stage 9-Refrain
Stage 10-Guren Dances
Stage 11-Battle for Narita
Stage 12-Messenger From Kyoto
Stage 13-Shirley at Gunpoint
Stage 14-Geass vs. Geass
Stage 15-Cheering Mao
Stage 16-Nunnally Held Hostage
Stage 17-Knight
Stage 18-I Order You Suzaku Kururugi
Stage 19-Island of the Gods
Stage 20-War at Kyushu
Stage 21-Declaration at the School Festival
Stage 22-Bloodstained Euphie
Stage 23-At Least With Sorrow
Stage 24-The Collapsing Stage
Stage 25-Zero
Note (06/24/08): I changed the links for episodes 1-8 to say "Stage" instead of "Episode" to reflect what is used in the anime and that's what shall be used from now on. It's not that big a deal, but I wanted to change it.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2

EPISODE INDEX

Turn 01-The Day a Demon Awakens
Turn 02-Plan For Independent Japan
Turn 03-Imprisoned in Campus
Turn 04-Counterattack at the Gallows
Turn 05-Knights of the Round
Turn 06-Surprise Attack Over the Pacific
Turn 07-Abandoned Mask
Turn 08-One Million Miracles
Turn 09-A Bride in the Red Forbidden City- N/A
Turn 10-When Shen Hu Wins Glory- N/A
Turn 11-Power of Passion
Turn 12-Love Attack!
Turn 13-Assassin from the Past
Turn 14-Geass Hunt
Turn 15-C's World
Turn 16-United Federation of Nations Resolution No. 1
Turn 17- Taste of Dirt- N/A
Turn 18- Second Decisive Battle of Tokyo- N/A
Turn 19-Betrayal and Turn 20-Emperor Dethroned
Turn 21-Ragnarok Connection and Turn 22-Emperor Lelouch
Turn 23-Schneizel's Mask and Turn 24-Sky of Damocles- N/A
Turn 25-Re;

Last edited by braves on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:15 am; edited 45 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Just cruious, I don't think it's been announced but by any chance is Code Geass also coming to Canada on YTV? Similarly, the only worthwhile anime right now to watch on Fridays is Death Note. since they decided to restart Bleach again, and now that Gundam seed Destiny is over, and in rerun mode. Death Note, is really the only anime left to watch. Naruto is there but while I always watch, it's not a huge attraction if one looked at it as a ride at an amusement park.

The only other worthwhile anime to watch come much later. 1AM we get a rerun of Fullmetal Alchemist (currently in its third run, and Eureka Seven following a rerun of Death Note, and Bleach - at 2:30AM, currently in its second run. Which is incredibly late as you can see. I just really hope that we get something new here.

It was fine when Seed Destiny was going (albiet terrible, it was still somethign new), and Bleach but now there's nothing else. And, I really hope that we don't end up with all reruns minus Naruto after Death Note is finished in the likely 12 remaining weeks till its completion.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
April 26th
11:00/2:00 Metalocalyspe
11:15/2:15 Metalocalyspe
11:30/2:30 Venture Bros.
12:00/3:00 Shin-Chan
12:30/3:30 Bleach
1:00/4:00 Death Note
1:30/4:30 Code Geass
5:00 Inuyasha
5:30 Inuyasha

so umm... wonder why anime fails on Adult Swim? Rolling Eyes
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
April 26th
11:00/2:00 Metalocalyspe
11:15/2:15 Metalocalyspe
11:30/2:30 Venture Bros.
12:00/3:00 Shin-Chan
12:30/3:30 Bleach
1:00/4:00 Death Note
1:30/4:30 Code Geass
5:00 Inuyasha
5:30 Inuyasha

so umm... wonder why anime fails on Adult Swim? Rolling Eyes

Heh. I just came from the Talkback forum where people are carping that the only series Viz holds on to are those that succeed on CN. Clearly, the standards for a successful anime are open to some interpretation. Anime smile

Seriously, though. I don't know the numbers, but I've heard that the later broadcasts actually attract more viewers, for a reason that makes perfect sense: No one's home at 11PM on Saturday. People are out at parties, or at bars or clubs attempting to maneuver their way into someone else's genitals. When they get in, later on, however, they may well be up to watch Orihime for a bit. Probably moreso then those that stayed home...
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
1:30 AM ??? thats too late for lots of people and for the ones that stay up that late they are at partys and stuf so too early for them. (but after getting drunk i probably wouldn't want to watch code geass)
braves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll be recording it on my DVR, so I don't really care at what time it airs, as long as it airs. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Here's the trailer for the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, so late at night. I've already been struggling to make it all the way through Death Note.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
No Norio Wakamoto as the Emperor of Britannia. Sorry, but this dub automatically fails, despite any kind of conceivable counter argument anyone here, even Zac, could possibly make, just for that reason stated.

Same goes for 2x2 Shinobuden.

Also, I agree with the sentiments about the time-slot for this show. I've mentioned it many times in a few places, but it will affect DVD sales being put where it is and not having the ability of maximum exposure. You keep a lot of people from watching it, and lose the ability to earn more fans. Though I reckon this is Adult Swim's doing, and Bandai probably would have wanted what I did, a 9 PM airing.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
No Norio Wakamoto as the Emperor of Britannia. Sorry, but this dub automatically fails, despite any kind of conceivable counter argument anyone here, even Zac, could possibly make, just for that reason stated.

Yeah. It's not like dub quality is completely subjective or anything. Rolling Eyes
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited but may very well end up simply buying this on DVD and watching it. I'm doing that with Death Note right now and while it is somewhat bothersome that the episodes being shown on TV are far ahead of where the DVD releases are I still don't have to stay up really late to watch something, I get to watch it whenever I want to. But my anticipation for Geass is a bit higher, we'll see.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

From what I understand, the Emperor is being dubbed by Michael McConnohie. Who is essentially God in voice actor form. So yeah, you lose.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

From what I understand, the Emperor is being dubbed by Michael McConnohie. Who is essentially God in voice actor form. So yeah, you lose.

Since when, and for what roles? O_o

I had to look him up and noticed that I've never really been impressed with any of his roles enough to care about him and look him up. Wakamoto on the other hand tends to stand out in any cast he's part of, and by and large does a perfect job with his roles. Seriously, his version of Father Anderson in Hellsing is flawless O_o

It's not like I think the dub is going to ruin the show, but the Japanese rendition featured a pretty talented cast. If anything I'm less inclined to think it'll be the Emperor's role that'll ruin it than Jonny Yong Bosch as Lelouche. Jun Fukuyama might ham it up quite a bit, but he nailed the role in every way possible.

From the little bit in the trailer (one line), I'm pretty sure I won't be watching all that many episodes dubbed (i.e. I wants the DVDs, or hell, pre-orders even O_o ).
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Same goes for 2x2 Shinobuden.

Fine by me. If you have no interest in the dub, that means you won't be sticking around this thread, which means we won't have to deal with your bullshit.

Seriously- hating on the VAs before even seeing the show, that's just mean-spirited.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Since when, and for what roles? O_o

Schwarzwald from Big O. (Best. Villain. Ever.) Captain Jurgens from Eureka seveN. Detective Keiichi Ikari from Paranoia Agent. Any number of side characters (including the one and only Manzou the Saw) from Samurai Champloo. I can't think of a role I've heard him in where I haven't been thoroughly impressed by his abilities. He nails the grandiose, bombastic, larger-than-life sorts of characters better than any English voice actor I've ever heard. Every fan of Code Geass I know was utterly thrilled with his selection for that role, and the general response to the cast as a whole has been overwhelmingly positive.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quote
you forgot, Norrris from 08th MS team, Big Daddy from Gungrave and Enho from Twelve Kingdoms

this guy is a good choice I can almost hear him giving a speech about 'power' right now
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 60