• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Quintessential Quintuplets (TV + movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote

Season 01: (The) Quintessential Quintuplets (TV)
Season 02: (The) Quintessential Quintuplets ∬ (TV 2)
Movie: (The) Quintessential Quintuplets the Movie (movie)

Source: Manga (completed @ 14 volumes by Negi Haruba)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
Season 1: Tezuka Production
Season 2: Bibury Animation Studio
Movie: Bibury Animation Studio

Genres: comedy, romance

Themes: harem, school, quintuplets

Plot Summary: One day, a poor high school second-year named Futaro Uesugi comes across a private tutoring gig with good pay, but his pupils are his classmates. In fact, all five are quintuplets, each gorgeous but also on the brink of flunking out of school.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: January 10, 2019 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season: 02: January 7, 2021 (Thursday)

Movie: January 5, 2022 (Wednesday)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: 12 episodes
Movie: 136 minutes

Total: 24 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Ooh, I like this opening song. Very cherry and energetic with playful energy!

As for the episode, we are introduced to the main girls from the start including Itsuki. I like the character exchanges so far especially with how humorous they made this. The added touch of the music made the episode flow well.

Others like Ichika, Yotsuba, Miku, and Yotsuba also showed up. For an introductory first episode, I think they established the primary story well so far. Looking good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:51 am Reply with quote
As far as harems go, I really have grown to not care for useless tsundere plots where there is open hostility for not really good reason such as the guy not being able to explain things, and the whole useless first girl being designated true girl sort of thing. So I guess so far more interested in the short haired sisters. Although the one that came across as cranky without feeling like just a tsundere, was kind of okay.

Feels kind of like the male character tutor thing might just get in the way of the characters.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of on the fence with this, but I'm totally happy that I decided to watch this. Of the five, I like the two short-haired sisters, Ichika and Yotsuba the most.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
It says something about their parents that they're essentially named 1 through 5. I guess coming up with 5 names is a lot of work.
SomeHero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
At the Beginning i thougt: "Oh, to lazy to draw more than one Body?" And: "Lets Count until the first Girl fall for him". But now These 5 got a little more Personality, hope it becomes better / deeper ^^. And he, i was some "smart but boring to look at" Guy too, so i root for the Main Guy Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

*breathes in deeply* Okay, we somehow got an end that seemed to skip several years where he is marrying one of them. Only deal is that we still don't know which one it is. Are you freaking kidding me?! I am not sure where that ranks next to harem undecided ending, but it is up there as a mess with your feelings.

I am not of some mind of saying that a romance in anime is only going to be worthwhile if ending in marriage, but if the show brings it up I expect answers. Are they wanting to do a sequel to reveal who he marries? Will they even reveal that? They already did a hint earlier in the show that he was going to marry one of them, so what is even the point of dedicating a good portion of the end to a wedding that a good answer is not given. Regardless, I am going to spend a good amount of time trying to guess who it could be.

Firstly going to eliminate Yotsuba, her hair is a good shade different from the rest that I don't think it is her at the end, and her high energy character doesn't feel like a match. Mostly coming down to tastes, I would like to eliminate Nino, specifically because I think her character clashes with him, and the interest pointed at the end towards her being a bit more superficial interest in him based on the looks of blonde him, but he apparently kept the charm.

Next is Itsuki, who had parts like being first girl and mostly main girl, but honestly not interested in that sort of thing being the deciding factor in these sorts of romances, especially paired with being a tsundere, which she is, I think the character is likely for those parts, but not my preferred. Second to last would be Ichika, except for the length of hair at the end I think she could be a good match for the bride, especially having pierced ears, I think she had an earring just like the bride, and they had a pretty good relationship.

Although I think Ichika's wish for the for path of showbiz like she was looking towards, could clash a bit with Futaro, leaving me a bit undecided with her. The one I think most likely, and the one I think the best fit, would be Miku. I liked her story the most in deciding to take him for herself for the season, and I think she worked well with bonding with him and bring each other out of their shells.

There is a hint that one of the girls knew him in the past, which we can be pretty sure was not Nino. I am kind of falling towards this maybe being Miku too, since apparently this changed him to be more studious rather than punk he could have been before, I am wondering if she got more introverted from it. Kind of feel like it makes sense she may have kept it hidden that she may have recognised blonde him or something.

I also think it could be poetic where after the even in the past, they now helped each other again by him getting her to open up a bit, with him not being too hyper focused. So my fan theory is Miku, the two of them had the cutest moments, and best fit in terms of personality. But guessing the ending of a harem is pretty much a fools errand, they could pull anything. Just please not either of the girls downright hostile to him.

Getting harem theories out of the way, talking about the rest of the show. And to be honest, I don't know if I have just reached some sort of horizon, but I was kind of not into this show as much as I often am into harem hijinks anime. It had some good parts, one of the best when they all tried to sneak into the school by pretending to be Yotsuba, everyone managing to get away with it except for him. That was fun. But I was kind of not feeling the bunch of identical sisters in a harem to win a guy. Sure he had some interesting traits, but I kind of feel like it should have fallen on either side of him helping them, or harem hijinks. Guess that I am now not such a fan of all harem girls being equal before some event later that could at random pick one of them and leave the rest unhappy.

Maybe I just don't know how to express it, or I don't know why, but something was stopping me from being in it as much as I usually would, although it seems to be okay popular. I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time, at least I hope for such by having a proper answer.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
Also, did Raiha wear her school uniform to her brother's wedding? Everyone else was dressed up.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Also, did Raiha wear her school uniform to her brother's wedding? Everyone else was dressed up.

From my understanding, it’s actually fairly common for school uniforms to be used as formal wear for weddings. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen it in anime.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Miku was best girl. Rated the show Good. Hmph.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Well a bit late to the game as always just finished watching this and then I had to see where the manga left off not being finished no one really knows for sure but my gut tells me the woman in the wedding scene is Nino. I know I know quite contrarian pick but here is why, she is the most unlikely one except her clues in the show were most intriguing to me. I don't think we can use the ear piercing part as a guide except that Nino did say she would pierce her ears if she was going to get married. The only one they showed having a pierced ear in the anime, only is shown with one piercing.

I think it is in the wrong ear for the wedding scene to be her. All of them had moments where it was obvious they liked him. Miku and Ichika pretty much said as much. Yatsuba told him she did and then she said she was kidding but there are a few other scenes where she obviously does like him that way. Itsuki dosn't show a great deal of decided feelings for him even in the last scene before they show them all holding his hand she says she wants to know more about him and she is only touching his hand not holding it. So that leaves Nino she fits the tsundere bill perfectly when she's talking with him before he lays down she is not all that upset about finding out the blond won't be there and her facial expression says a lot there imo.

Also she asks him several times if she can trust him clearly she is afraid she will be hurt if she reveals how she feels there isn't any other context when she asks so I took that as being kind of significant. For soom reason my gut tells me it will be Nino. I can't say I am really into manga but I am going to sign up for a web site and try and read this one I found the show to be very entertaining for a harem show and now I have to know which one in the end is chosen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:17 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

Okay, we still don't know who the flash forward bride is. The story hints that he already thinks one of them as special, having kissed him during the trip earlier in the season, but they were, but they were all dressed as Itsuki at that part so we don't know who it is. Miku was getting heavy pushing in this episode though, where she was given the chance for some time alone, but was a bit koi. I would like to say that Miku is favourite to win, but she just veered from being upfront about it, Itsuki still still has first girl thing, Yotsuba apparently was the first girl he met that he is hung up on, but Ichika also met him then and is in that beloved be happy thing, but Nino also has the whole tsundere thing while also kind of being the most upfront over her feelings.

Quite a bit happened this season, but to be honest I don't really care that much about this drama stuff, while also tempted to just look up who it is to not have to keep going in circles that this series does. I really don't care for going in circles about this girl likes him, but nothing can happen thing, like who he chooses is going to be some big game that the prize is going to be won somehow. I wonder why there can't be just the thing Nino started about understanding her feelings and just saying it. If there had to be all this gender about them all coming into who they are and being their best selves, I would kind of wish it would be without all this harem stuff.

My rating is Decent (6/10), there are some okay stuff here, I am just not interested with it all wrapped up in the idea they need the boy.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure the final girl really was meant to be spoiler[ Itsuki. Which I guess makes some sense, She was the first tsundere, she's actually spent time with him and his family at his house. In many ways she's the only one who got to know him personally instead of as an ideal].
But I guess it's supposed to be left up to you.

Read up the review thread responses, it sounds like they skipped a major chapter or two from the source material- a follow-up to "Reina" appearing to him earlier.

The problem was that I simply did not care. The series failed completely to give Futaro a reason to "love" any of them specifically. The reasoning I used in the above spoiler only really works in retrospect.

You could see reasons why the girls liked him- but it never really went into his head-space beyond his left-over feelings for "Reina" and you could see he cared for all of them... rather equally. He never played favorites... so why should we put any stock into him choosing one over the others?

I guess it succeeded in giving most readers a chance to have their favorite, but I actually get annoyed with watchers that put too much into their own choices. Outside of shows like Amagami SS- these shouldn't be a "choose your own adventure" story- It should be about what the character wants and needs, not who YOU like.

So whether that scene was supposed to be definitive or open, it's still the mark of a lazy noncommittal story. Lets you have your favorite, but gives you no proper rationale for any of it.

I remember a mystery TV show two-parter where the case was presented in the first half and then you were supposed call in and say who the killer was. The next week they revealed it. The disappointing trick of it was that it really could have been anybody. The deciding factor was who a witness on the stand says he saw at the scene of the crime. The lawyer asks "who did you see?" and the "winner" of the call-in campaign was revealed to be the killer.

All had equal motives, it was a popularity (or unpopularity) contest.

They might as well have done that here. Held one of those popularity polls and the girl who "wins" the poll is the bride.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:29 am Reply with quote
Ugh, missed the announcement that they're dragging this out for another season. Or maybe movie? I guess the announcement just says "sequel."

So the kiss scene really was meant to be a complete mystery... According to comments in the talkback thread, the anime jumbled things and a more natural end for the "season" would have been ending with the vacation arc. Which is where that kiss seen was originally revealed- making it more obvious that it could be anybody.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching the movie. I've always considered this a mediocre show with slightly annoying characters, so seeing a 2+ hour runtime dissuaded me from bothering. So, day off, watched bits of it between chores.

Seeing a satisfying conclusion doesn't magically make me a huge fan of it though. Still not a group of characters I love. But there was one thing I really did like.

A common problem of harem romances that end in a monogamous choice is that the girls that don't win are just unlucky, and sort of pathetic for not being picked. What this show actually did was to give the girls that "lost" a lot of agency and purpose. They departed with dreams and plans that they were strong enough to persue. They were still romantically stuck on the loser MC, but could move on with their lives.

And the chosen girl? I think my favorite was the most popular girl... but I knew she wouldn't be picked. Of all the girls, she was given the most motivation to be independent and self-sufficient... That's simply not a Harem winner. My initial guess wasn't right, although I should have gotten it. It was a simple formula - the girls with the most independence were the least likely to be picked - so the one that had the least was the obvious winner.

But as I never cared much for Futaro... I never cared much for who he picked.
So? Good one?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1