• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Bizarre Anime Mascots

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Surprised Kodomo no Omocha's Babbit isn't on there.

Anyway, thought I should correct you- There's a very strange addition to your poll results... I don't remember being Fantasista Doll a choice...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Surprised Kodomo no Omocha's Babbit isn't on there.

Anyway, thought I should correct you- There's a very strange addition to your poll results... I don't remember being Fantasista Doll a choice...

x_x I already edited it out before this comment, but the servers are being very odd this morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
corinthian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
He probably doesn't count, but Poo-tan from Cromartie High School is pretty strange, along with everything else from that series. It also has a few cameo appearances from Digiko and Puchiko.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Aaaahhhhh Ecchan! Nostalgia flood~~

("Pnyan~")
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see some love for Hare+Guu Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
How many have seen Violence Jack?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Nice to see some love for Hare+Guu Smile

True except wouldn't Guu be the true bizarre anime mascot? Not the snide evil one but the one's that used to get cute all over everyone? She acts like the mascot character, all the thingies mostly did was scatter, scamper and get eaten. Also, they're kind of creepy.

As for Di Gi Charat, I myself was thinking more along the lines of Gemma, the floating ball with arms and an upside down face who's completely not an acceptable mascot character as he's so grotesque which only serves to make him all the more bizarre. Or he's so bizarre, he's grotesque? At least Dejiko's cute.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't Menchi be the mascot for Excel Saga? She certainly appears in the series more than the Puchu. o.0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Where the heck is Elizabeth from Gintama?! Just check how weird it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5_em98p_s4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUTbO6CmaFA It's been about 40 volumes and we still don't know what is that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't really think of the Pokute as a mascot character; I don't recall them having specific relationships with the humans or with whatever the hell Guu is. I think of mascots more like the squirrel that accompanied Amy in Gargantia.

Anyway, one of the strangest pairings might be ten-year-old Fumie-chan in Dennou Coil and her cyber mascot character Oyagi, which translates to something like "geezer" in English.

Oyagi is pretty competent and carries out a thrilling rescue mission in the first episode. He also appears entirely in the nude. Since Coil is a family show, of Oyagi's naughty parts, only his cute little butt is shown.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
We got some Dennou Coil love here. Why isn't anyone picking up this show? But anyway, so why no love for Ryo-Ohki the cabbit that can turn into a spaceship. He should have been #1. But Oyajii was an interesting mascot from Dennou Coil. Just a weird looking skinny 1 dimensional geezer that she would slap around. But then you have Isako's little guys who look like the cousin's of the soot bunnies in Tototo.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE Dennou Coil! But, wouldn't that show's mascot for the series be Saatchi?

Actually, I guess this list is about any mascot, series or personal. Still, I would choose Saatchi.
sunflower01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Aspergillus oryzae (Moyasimon) This cute little organism is the lead bacteria in Moyasimon, a series about a character that can see microbes. It's technical name is Aspergillus oryzae, but you can call it Kōji. Kōji is a mold used to ferment soybeans (like for sake and miso) and has the distinction of being Japan's "national fungus."

Now is it a bacteria or a fungus? Biologically speaking, those would be kinda different.

Nevermind though, as always, one very entertaining list Very Happy My personal picks for weird mascots would've included Samurai Champloo's Momo (Fuu's flying squirrel), and definitely Gintama's Elizabeth, but that's probably because I haven't seen most of the anime listed *sigh*.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Nadare Xizos wrote:
Wouldn't Menchi be the mascot for Excel Saga? She certainly appears in the series more than the Puchu. o.0
I was thinking the same thing. The Puchu were the "nemesis" of the series so labeling them as the mascot is IMO as odd as it would be to name Cel the mascot of his saga in DBZ.

Also, ADV made Menchi merch but I don't remember them pushing Puchus Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
How many have seen Violence Jack?

I have. As much as I love Go Nagai's misanthropic views in that and Devilman, I voted Cutey Honey, because Honey's that great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2