• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold Streamed Over 2 Million Times in 10 Days

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
That is a good view amount for any series I think. Congrats.
DarkLordDragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
Great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
I wish Crunchyroll would have a view count feature like YT does for their videos because that could give fans an idea of how well a series is doing.

To me, series that has at least 100,000 views and have decent DVD/BD sales are the ones that probably are the ones that are the most worthy of licensing and giving an English dub.
ichii_1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
WOW :O
I knew Saint Seiya was popular but :O
I hope it keeps the quality.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
It's already pretty obvious when a show is popular on Crunchyroll and in the anime community at large and in general the popular, well loved and more marketable shows tend to be the ones that get the dubs so I don't see that as an absolute necessity.

Then again, in Sentai's case there's been many a popular show puzzlingly getting the sub only treatment in favour of stuff no one cares about. And then of course there's Funi's broadcast dubs which are done before any of those stats are available (Although I am thankful that Yuri Kuma got a decent dub in such a short period of time let alone any sort of dub).

Back on topic, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that western countries are a minority of those numbers.
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Eh this might be a bad thing tbh. Soul of Gold seems like the lowest budget Saint Seiya so far much to its own detriment based off ep one - if the numbers dont fall off significantly for ep 2 they might go 'oh we can make this crap and it'll sell on name brand alone' and all future series will suffer for it.

That aside maybe this will at least convince someone to actually make an english version of the original series that doesn't blow chunks. But I doubt it. That's one dream that will never happen. Crunchy was the best hope and they still just licensed only the sanctuary arc with still b-tier off region subs without doing their own :/
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
It's already pretty obvious when a show is popular on Crunchyroll and in the anime community at large and in general the popular, well loved and more marketable shows tend to be the ones that get the dubs so I don't see that as an absolute necessity.

Then again, in Sentai's case there's been many a popular show puzzlingly getting the sub only treatment in favour of stuff no one cares about. And then of course there's Funi's broadcast dubs which are done before any of those stats are available (Although I am thankful that Yuri Kuma got a decent dub in such a short period of time let alone any sort of dub).

Back on topic, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that western countries are a minority of those numbers.

Depends on what you consider western, if that's only United States, Canada and Europe, then not, except for France and Italy. If you consider the rest of Latin America, then western countries were the majority, Saint Seiya was much more famous here than in Japan, in fact, the Legend of Sanctuary movie amounted one million dollars in Brazil only and in Japan it didn't even get close to that.

And if Soul of God does more or less well, it will have French, Brazilian Portuguese, and American Spanish dub. English? Hardly. Just look at the recently announced game, it will have Spanish and Portuguese audio track and English subs only. Basically no one knows it in USA and TOEI won't take the risk.
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:43 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
The article does say that more people watched it outside Japan than inside Japan. (It's listed as available on 27 streaming services in Japan and NicoNico's numbers are public, so that actually is more meaningful than it sounds.)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:
Eh this might be a bad thing tbh. Soul of Gold seems like the lowest budget Saint Seiya so far much to its own detriment based off ep one - if the numbers don't fall off significantly for ep 2 they might go 'oh we can make this crap and it'll sell on name brand alone' and all future series will suffer for it.

/

You sure about that? The episode had a lot of shitty animation and stuff but I honestly think the Inferno part of the Hades arc was much much much worse. Like thrice the amount of still frames worse. Besides, it's not like Toei has any shame when releasing a shitty product to cash on nostalgia (Sailor Moon Crystal)
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised, and as evident byt some comments here, US fans are oblivious to this but Saint Saiya is as big as Dragon ball Z in Latin America and Europe, international hunger for more Saint Saiya is key factor for its huge revival back in the 2000s.

So not surprising, that is why myth cloth are a huge business, that is why the demand is so high as well for those figures.

Gold saint are particularly popular as well, if if a series focuses on them it aint that surprising a lot of people want to follow it.

This matched by the announcement of Leo Aiolia God Cloth, all is in harmony to get those nice numbers, and why the figure was sold out within minute sin most places save for some reseller that still have it, more expensive thou.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
If CR get get every St. Seiya title, that might make a lot of St. Seiya fans happy.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's quite a bit. Gratz to them.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
JohnHawk wrote:
Eh this might be a bad thing tbh. Soul of Gold seems like the lowest budget Saint Seiya so far much to its own detriment based off ep one - if the numbers don't fall off significantly for ep 2 they might go 'oh we can make this crap and it'll sell on name brand alone' and all future series will suffer for it.

/

You sure about that? The episode had a lot of shitty animation and stuff but I honestly think the Inferno part of the Hades arc was much much much worse. Like thrice the amount of still frames worse. Besides, it's not like Toei has any shame when releasing a shitty product to cash on nostalgia (Sailor Moon Crystal)

Aint not the epitome of quality, but both of you sound like newborn fans if you want top quality animation from toei, toei aint pleasing animation quality junkies, toei wont meet any expectations in that department and has never done so.

Debatable animation aside which is indeed not high but not bad either, its ok, still better than garbage moe and fanserive.

As a true veteran saint seiya fan that grew up with it, you are watching the wrong series if you are debating, of all things, about animation in saint seiya. You should know well what I am speaking about CrowLia, as you are form a country in which Saint Saiya was and is huge.

Saint seiya fans first (most at least) speaks of the "soul" and "spirit" of the series before anything else. And as such soul of gold pleases more the veteran fans than Omega did and its truer to the spirit of the original, a lot better, focusing on the golds saint its a huge plus, releasing new myth cloths based on gold saints its an extra huge plus.

Still the best saint seiya series after the revival is Lost Canvas, too bad it was apparently not successful enough for whatever reason.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
they need Lost Canvas season 2.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
If only Next Dimension was finished.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2