News - December 2002
- Contest Update ()
- STA Announces First JoJo Release Date ()
- Mandarake Closing LA Area Store ()
- New American Anime Production Company? ()
- Full Metal Panic, Season 2 ()
- Toho 2003 Movie Lineup ()
- Japanese Cultural Awards ()
- Suzuki interview ()
- Free Comic Book Day ()
- DBZ Toys Find New Home? ()
- TechTV looks to anime for new logo ()
- Patlabor WXIII in theatres ()
- Tokyo Mint Announces Second Love Hina Statue ()
- Evangelion Contest Winners ()
- Quick Update ()
- Virus DVD Edited ()
- Cartoon Network confirms that they don't have the rights to Stand Alone Complex ()
- 4 Naruto Games on the Way ()
- English Subtitles on Production I.G R2 DVD releases? ()
- Yasuo Otsuka to Draw New Lupin Manga Series ()
- Gutsoon! Announces First Graphic Novel ()
- TechTV Canada: Anime (to be) Unleashed? ()
- New Bandai Website - Melty Lancer ()
- Anime Reactor Guest Announcements ()
- TechTV New Website Launch ()
- Beyblade Fad Goes International ()
- San Francisco Manga Art Exhibit ()
- Interview with Takashi Nakamura ()
- Maria Kawamura Coming to the USA ()
- Ai Yori Aoshi Trailer Online ()
- Seatbelts Reunite ()
- Spirited Away Red Tint on TV ()
- The Anime Network American Launch ()
- The Princess Blade Website Launches ()
- New Industry Interviews ()
- Fushigi Yuugi To Air On International Channel ()
- Howl's Moving Castle set to begin production ()
- New Ghost in the Shell Movie ()
- New ADV Release Dates ()
- Correction: Tezuka Hometown ()
- No Tech TV Anime for Canada ()
- Upcoming Anime Titles ()
- A Short Talk with Yoshiyuki Tomino ()
- Japanese Actress Does Cosplay at Wedding ()
- Onegai Teacher 2 Is on the Way ()
- Voice Operated Humanoid Robot Developed ()
- Megatokyo Auction ()
- Spirited Away Eligible for Oscar ()
- Shonen Jump Explodes Onto American Fan Scene ()
- Anime Companies Take On New Executives. ()
- Char's Counterattack Broadcast delayed ()
- Palgrave will Publish Anime Directors Book ()
- New Release Dates ()
- ADV Correction, No Gasaraki Price Reduction ()
- Dragonball Heads Up Lycos Top 50 ()
- Poll: ANN Logo ()
- Shoujocon 2003 Announcement ()
- Shonen Jump / Viz Article ()
- More Jack Mathews on Spirited Away ()
- Production I.G Talks about 2D / 3D Animation ()
- "Renewal of Evangelion" and More ()
- Tokyo University Students Working On Optical Camouflage ()
- Christmas Fan-Art Contest Update ()
- Otaku Awards 2002 ()
- Free Anime At The Metreon ()
- Production I.G. Calls for Moderation in Fan Subbing ()
- Reign The Conqueror Release Date ()
- Tech TV Anime Unleashed Schedule ()
- Why does manga succeed where American Comics fail? ()
- First Full Length Anime Film Premier ()
- "Shonen Jump Day" Flyer on Shonen Jump Website ()
- More on Red Tint Lawsuit ()
- Studio Ghibli film "The Cat Returns" Article ()
- About Special Deals ()
- Special Deal #1 ()
- Special Deal #2 ()
- New OVA from Production I.G. ()
- Evangelion Contest Update ()
- LEGO To Release Anime Inspired CGI Home Video ()
- Interview With Shoujo-Ai Film Festival Founder ()
- Ai Yori Aoshi, Noir Websites Up And Running. ()
- Evangelion Rumors In Japan ()
- Tokyopop Announces Disney Based Titles ()
- Otakon 2003 Dates, First Guests Confirmed ()
- Spirited Away not Qualified for Academy Award? ()
- Anime Convention and Festival Growth ()
- Char's Counterattack on Adult Swim ()
- Bandai Unwraps Love Hina Christmas Website ()
- Magical Project S website is up. ()
- Cartoon Network Announces New Anime ()
- Sen to Chihiro Red Tint Lawsuit ()
- Tokyopop titles on TV... ()
- Akira Toriyama To Appear At Shonen Jump Launch Party ()
- December Manga Sales Rankings ()
- RAIJIN Game & Anime Website Launches ()
- Tokyopop CLAMPs Down ()
- Bandai Announces Anime Club Support Progam ()
- Evangelion Contest Update ()
- Holiday Logo Contest Update ()
After six straight weeks, The Ancient Magus' Bride has been unseated from its spot at the top of the chart! Find out what's replaced it and where all your favorites ranked with our users this round! ― Our team of reviewers are following 31 anime series of the Fall 2017 season and readers are rating each episode as the reviews go up. So let's have a look at what ANN readers consider the best (and wor...
This series took a surprising left turn last week, leaving fans on the edge of their seats. This week in anime, we discuss our favorite things about Aqours' journey so far. ― Last week's Love Live! Sunshine!! took a surprising left turn, leaving fans on the edge of their seats for the season's second half. This week in anime, Nick and Steve discuss their favorite things about the girls of Aqours so f...
The director and producer behind next season's male idol mobile game adaptation gave a Q&A at a premiere event for the show's first two episodes. Here's what fans can expect from Idolish 7! ― Lately, the anime industry has been dominated by female idols, but there's another phenomenon brewing under the more mainstream surface: a male idol movement. A mobile rhythm game called IDOLiSH7, where you help...
My Hero Academia expands the scope of its cast and conflict in a volume that works to build up its characters for changes to come. Nick Creamer has the details. ― My Hero Academia's ninth volume represented a dramatic and aesthetic peak for this thrilling story. Finding themselves hunted by the League of Villains while away on their training retreat, Midoriya and his classmates were forced to rally b...
2017 had a nonstop flurry of mindblowing videogames, from Zelda to Nier to Persona 5 and beyond - here's a guide to the most likely candidates for your Christmas list. ―
Our giant glittering gift guide continues with a tour through the stacks of this year's best artbooks, manga, box sets and much more! ―
What happens when the world of Parasyte collides with Hiro Mashima's Fairy Tail? Find out in our exclusive preview of Kodansha Comics' new anthology, Neo Parasyte m! ― There aren't too many manga that are as beloved as Hitoshi Iwaki's landmark series Parasyte - it's cited constantly by creators the world over as a major influence on their work. Out today from Kodansha Comics, Neo Parasyte m is an ant...
You probably can't even count the number of times jan-ken-pon comes up in anime. Why is it so ubiquitous? Justin has an answer. ― Samuel asked: Mind explaining the history of the Japanese version of Westerners' "rock/paper/scissors" known as jan-ken-pon (and what each gesture looks like and does to another gesture)? The game of Rock-Paper-Scissors is so ancient and so pervasive across the world, the...
Director Masaki Tachibana answered questions about his surprise hit anime series at this year's inaugural Anime NYC. Rachel Kelly has the details from this special screening and Q&A sessions! ― Princess Principal is an anime about cute girls being spies in a fictional, steampunk version of Victorian London, an original project that came seemingly out of nowhere. While it wasn't highly anticipated goi...
This surprisingly dark shoujo romance wraps its themes of colonialism around a "Little Red Riding Hood" tale. Rebecca Silverman untangles its heavy yet rewarding story. ― Well, hey there, Little Red Riding Hood! Aarne-Thompson tale type 333, the story best known as “Little Red Riding Hood” in English, has been one of anime and manga's go-to fairy tales for inspiration, and Spica Aoki's Beasts of Abig...
URAHARA is about as cute, unassuming, and completely under-the-radar as you can get. This week in anime, we dig in to see if we've been sitting on something special. ― URAHARA is about as cute, unassuming, and completely under-the-radar as you can get. This week in anime, Michelle and Jacob dig in to see if they've been sitting on a hidden gem this season. Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed...
Looking for the perfect way to express your otaku side no matter where you go? Our guide to the best anime fashion and accessories of the season will get you there! ―
just for fun
Who among us can resist the siren song of the kitchen after watching a bunch of Food Wars? ―
The first arc of Sword Oratoria that provided the season finale for its anime adaptation comes to a close. Theron Martin compares these two versions for any juicy details that may have gotten left out. ― Despite leaving out a few details here and there, the DanMachi anime series was largely a faithful and excellent adaptation of the source novels. The anime version of Sword Oratoria was a far less im...
just for fun
Jacob and Zac chew on Justice League for a while before digging in to your Twitter questions - Evangelion, Kino's Journey, Ancient Magus Bride and a whole lot more! ― ANNCast Episode 311 - New Dominion Thank Police Jacob and Zac chew on Justice League for a while before digging in to your Twitter questions - Evangelion, Kino's Journey, Ancient Magus Bride and a whole lot more! You can listen to the ...
Our 2017 Holiday Gift Guide begins with an enormous gilded mountain of 2017's biggest and brightest DVD and bluray anime releases! ―
What's the difference between letterboxing and pillarboxing? And what are those tiny black borders you see on some old anime that don't have any of that? Justin Sevakis explains. ― Duc asked: Every once in a while, especially when I'm watching an older movie on Blu-ray, I'll see a thin border around the picture. Why is that there? Also, can you explain the difference between pillarboxing and letterb...
Our correspondent saw the live-action Fullmetal Alchemist movie during its world premiere at Anime NYC this weekend - here's her full report, plus comments from the director! ― The live-action Fullmetal Alchemist movie, directed by Fumihiko Sori, made its world premiere at the Tokyo International Film Festival on October 25 and will open in Japan on December 1. Luckily for us, the movie made a specia...
Gabriella revisits the anime adaptation of this hit JRPG to see if it's worth watching on its own merits, while Paul runs down all this week's new releases along with a new king-sized Shelf Obsessed! ― Since in-game purchases seem to be a hot topic in the video game world these days, I figured I'd offer up a potentially obvious piece of advice as someone who's bought and collected all kinds of junk ...
Erina's evolution comes to a head as Soma battles Tsukasa in this exciting volume. Rebecca Silverman has the details. ― Ever since Erina's father Azami Nakiri returned to Totsuki in an orchestrated semi-hostile takeover, the school has been in an uproar. Not only is he trying to remake Japan's culinary world in his own image, but he's also dedicated himself to stamping out what he sees as unnecessary...