• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo to purchase 2.6% of Bandai

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:47 pm Reply with quote
OK, so it may not immediatly effect either side, but I bet this will cause Bandai to lean in Nintendos direction when it comes to future products. Anyone happen to know who the others are on that top 10? I'm curious where Nintendo stands on it and if Sony or Microsoft are in there. I really doubt there will be a fututre merger though, there really wouldn't be much of a need for one, and Bandai isn't exactly a company I'd like to see become 2ed party to a larger company.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Dammit. One more strike against Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front ever coming to XBox.

Hell, is that even still in PRINT? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
isaacada1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Here's a link that gives the current publisher rankings worldwide for video games.
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread/t-58810.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ryw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I really don't see how Sony's #2. What games are they publishing? They got Gran Turismo, Jax..... and what else? Ah, whatever...

That'd be cool if Nintendo and Bandai merged. I love both those companies. Very Happy
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:54 pm Reply with quote
If Nintendo and Bandai do indeed merge, I wonder if that would lead to the creation of some sweet Mariners action figures (since Nintendo owns the M's)? There could be the Ichiro Suzuki figure with optional battle armor, the Bret Boone with super-power-up muscles and Edgar Martinez with his cane!

If nothing else, maybe we could all get Gundams as premiums when we attend a game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:36 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
If Nintendo and Bandai do indeed merge, I wonder if that would lead to the creation of some sweet Mariners action figures (since Nintendo owns the M's)? There could be the Ichiro Suzuki figure with optional battle armor, the Bret Boone with super-power-up muscles and Edgar Martinez with his cane!

Nintendo doesn't own the Mariners - they're former president of their American division, Howard Lincoln, does.

At least, I think he does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:42 am Reply with quote
I know that Nintendo used to own the Mariners, but I'm not sure if they still do.

Getting back to the topic I hope this will insure some more, and better, Bandai games for Nintendo.
dafunkk12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:12 am Reply with quote
Nintendo's retired pres Hiroshi Yamauchi holds majority ownership of the Mariners. 60-something percent, I believe. Howard Lincoln, NOA's old lawyer/VP, is the current Mariners Chairman.

Last edited by dafunkk12 on Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
JamesonLee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Ryw wrote:
I really don't see how Sony's #2. What games are they publishing? They got Gran Turismo, Jax..... and what else? Ah, whatever...

That'd be cool if Nintendo and Bandai merged. I love both those companies. Very Happy

Is the counting with games on the platform or games made by?
vherub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:52 am Reply with quote
anime is a HUGE untapped resource (for the most part) in the video game world with potential to overtake the dominant sectors of rpg or sports games. The hardware company that can be the platform of choice for the anime-gamer will be sitting in an enviable position in future days. It seems that there is internal struggle in Bandai over which company (Sony or Nintendo) will be the better ally. But Sony is definitel in danger of being caught snoozing.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:50 pm Reply with quote
vherub wrote:
anime is a HUGE untapped resource (for the most part) in the video game world with potential to overtake the dominant sectors of rpg or sports games.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd call it "huge" or "untapped", anime based games have been being made in Japan for atleast the last 20 years on a regular basis. Very few have made it outside of japan, but several popular anime have had games made for them as far back as the NES days, maybe even further. Anime games aren't really a division of their own, more like a subdivision. You can call something an "anime game" but it's still an RPG, action, sport, racing, or whatever type of game.

Besides, it's just Bandai, it's not as if they're the only company out there doing anime based video games.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:32 pm Reply with quote
With all the friction, I really dobut they'll get close to Nintendo. Pretty soon they'll try to buy back the stock. Probably losing money in the process.
Meier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:21 pm Reply with quote
That list is definitely bunk. No way does Sony sell more games themselves than Nintendo although EA is most definitely a clear #1.

As for the news at hand -- it would be very interesting if Nintendo were to go through with this. Bandai provides a wealth of strong licenses for the Japanese market and it would also allow Nintendo to re-enter the toys division which they've indicated theyre considering focusing on again as another means of revenue.
Kalium

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Hm.... Anime-type games.... Oni, anyone? Or perhaps Orphen?
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:14 pm Reply with quote
As a first move by nintendo, 2.7% doesn't seem to be enough to really sway bandai to do anything. Nintendo is suffering losses for the first time since it was established with the bad sales of the cube.

OT:
I"m a nintendo loyalist only because its what I've always had. It's really not a bad system, its better than the ps2 in technology but its the Big N's image that hurts. I can't stand hearing people say the cube is for little kids etc. etc.

Did you not play: Metroid Prime, Resident Evil (remake), Eternal Darkness, Zelda. The list is short though, but still great games nonetheless.

What do you think the future of nintendo is. If they work to change there image they might make it. But there going to need a very strong lineup for there next console, something that lacked severely on the cube launch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2