• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Top 20 Most Popular Manga Ranked By Publication Numbers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirisaki_kabuto

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
The only series that surprised me here is Black Jack. Did they count the spin-offs and prequels and other additions to the franchise as well? If not and they counted only the original 25 volumes that would mean it averaged 7 million sales per volume which is absolutely insane.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
For comparison's sake, the Harry Potter series has sold 400-450 million by mid-2013 and Lord of the Rings 150 million. (Those are two that come to mind.)
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
A few examples in the adventures of under and over reporting on publication numbers...

Manga Zenkan says:
Rurouni Kenshin - 70 million
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 63.5 million
Bleach - 74.6 million

Shueisha Media Guide 2014 says:
Rurouni Kenshin - 59.1 million
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 69.41 million
Bleach - 82.07 million (this is definitely wrong, btw; it was 82.07 million in 2013 as well, and we know there've been at least a couple million more published in the year since)
Veniamin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
One Piece getting the recognition it deserves.

Although, Oda constantly overworks himself. Confused
Detrimont

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
i've seen completely different figures for some of these series, for example
dragon ball at 230 mil : animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-12-03/2013-dragon-ball-z/battle-of-gods-film-story-outlined
Jojo(not on the list, but it should be) over 80 mil : http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/style/AJ201307130042

Most surprising figure on here is black jack, which is 3 times higher than what i saw a few months ago(don't have a source, but it was around 45-46 mil)
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Detrimont wrote:
i've seen completely different figures for some of these series, for example
dragon ball at 230 mil : animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-12-03/2013-dragon-ball-z/battle-of-gods-film-story-outlined
Jojo(not on the list, but it should be) over 80 mil : http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/style/AJ201307130042

Most surprising figure on here is black jack, which is 3 times higher than what i saw a few months ago(don't have a source, but it was around 45-46 mil)
This is clearly Japan only. The 230 million DBZ sales is worldwide
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's all off by some weird margin. Dragon Ball has sold 159 million copies in Japan, so it somehow managed to sell 2 million more copies than were printed? Same with BLEACH's reported 74.6 million, and it's actual 82 million.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:

Contrary to what OP's hipster fanbase thinks, the series isn't on "Psychonauts'" level of obscurity.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Well Manga isn't as wildly adopted as books are, I'm sure a large portion of those sale figures are asian country's.

Although I'm seeing more adoption in Canada so I'm all for it Smile
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:

This is something I like to see as well. It's just too bad that the series isn't as popular over here as it should. Thank you 4Kids for ruining a golden opportunity for this series.

I'm glad that Oda knows he has to keep pushing for his fans, because he knows that without them the series wouldn't be as big as it is. At the same time, kudos to Shueisha for keeping tabs on him and making sure he doesn't over work himself. Knowing his daily routine that is just nuts. The one week breaks can be painful to wait for but at least he comes out with awesome chapters after said breaks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wojtini

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-10-23/top-10-shonen-jump-manga-by-all-time-volume-sales

According to this Bleach sold 78,6 mln volumes in 2012 and now it has 74 mln? Get your facts.

And One Piece sold 300mln in december 2013, new volume came out at the beginning of 2014 and it has over 2,5mln sold itself (other volumes sold some too).
If they want to do ranking take numbers from one the same point of time not copy OP from december 2013 and others (Attack on Titan for example) from april 2014...

I mean Aot is on 50 position with 36 mln which they already have and One Piece had 300 mln in december. Probably a lot of mangas there are miscalculated.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
kirisaki_kabuto wrote:
The only series that surprised me here is Black Jack. Did they count the spin-offs and prequels and other additions to the franchise as well? If not and they counted only the original 25 volumes that would mean it averaged 7 million sales per volume which is absolutely insane.

The Black Jack manga has been published in various editions such as shinsho-ban, bunko-ban, hardback, Kōdansha's Complete Works, and so on. The figure in question may be the total of them.

Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Wojtini wrote:

ANN probably needs to get to up to date on that. They skipped on 2013's media guide and I guess I had fun with the running joke on ANN never picking up on it. But Shueisha Media Guide 2014 came out quite recently; good chance to kill the running joke for this year Laughing

http://adnavi.shueisha.co.jp/mediaguide/2014/
For the pdf relevant to WSJ, go here.
It's supposed to be up to date as of February of this year. There are a couple of mistakes if you pay enough attention between this year and last; like how the number for Bleach in 2014 is exactly the same as 2013's, despite there being a minimum of a couple more million copies being printed due to new releases. The increase for Naruto between last year and this is also impossibly low, given Oricon sales numbers for its new volumes.
Aside from stuff like that though, it's still circulation numbers straight from Shueisha. Who knows what Mangazenkan's using as their sources.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1