• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skip Beat! Anime's Indiegogo Campaign Launches

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely fantastic news I hope it succeeds as it'll be yet another dub/licensed anime I can have in my collection Anime smile Hopefully for smaller companies this can become more common things.

Out of work and will be for awhile so don't think I can pledge much but i plan to give some to help this succeed as I'm excited Anime smile

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope they are successful! With FUnimation's The Vision of EscaFlowne campain already at 145.000 dollars (150.000 is the goal) im pretty sure that 210.000 for Skip Beat will be reached.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
What this also needs is a second season. Smile
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Absolutely fantastic news I hope it succeeds as it'll be yet another dub/licensed anime I can have in my collection Anime smile Hopefully for smaller companies this can become more common things.

Out of work and will be for awhile so don't think I can pledge much but i plan to give some to help this succeed as I'm excited Anime smile
I agree, I rather have a company start a kickstarter program then just make s sub release.

I wanna pledge to the campain however since I'm Dutch and live in Europe they wont ship anything to me. I hate region license rubbish with a passion xD.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Neat show. Good luck to them, although it don't mean jack to me unless it succeeds & happens to get sublicensed in a few years.
GEO9875

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
"Pied Piper's Ann Yamamoto said that the company acquired the license from TV Tokyo, and TV Tokyo is requiring the English dub as a condition of release. Pied Piper will not be able to release the series on a subtitle-only format."

I dunno why but as a dub only anime fan this sentence is like music to my ears....
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Although I support companies utilizing Kickstarter for pre-order style localizations, I don't generally support Indiegogo flexible funding, particularly for projects of this size. There's something unsettling about a $200k project that could potentially only raise $80k in funds, and still be able to walk away with the money they raised despite not necessarily having the funds to go through with the project. I'm also not all that familiar with Pied Piper Inc., which makes me additionally hesitant to support. If I'm misunderstanding something please let me know, otherwise I think I'll wait things out to see how far it goes before supporting.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Although I support companies utilizing Kickstarter for pre-order style localizations, I don't generally support Indiegogo flexible funding, particularly for projects of this size. There's something unsettling about a $200k project that could potentially only raise $80k in funds, and still be able to walk away with the money they raised despite not necessarily having the funds to go through with the project. I'm also not all that familiar with Pied Piper Inc., which makes me additionally hesitant to support. If I'm misunderstanding something please let me know, otherwise I think I'll wait things out to see how far it goes before supporting.

I think there are 2 factors you may be overlooking. First, the dub is a condition of the license, which means that it's happening regardless of the degree of success of the IndieGogo campaign; greater crowdfunding "will focus on enhancing the quality of the English dub" (per this article). Second: although you may not be familiar with Pied Piper Inc., they have previously successfully delivered on an anime localization Kickstarter, for the Time of Eve movie. That doesn't mean the success of this project is a sure thing, but they do have some track record, at least.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I should worry to much with them. They deliverd us the Time of EVE dub release world wide. Besides Ann who leads the project there are well known people in the anime industry working on this like Cristina Vee and Mela Lee. I wouldnt worry Smile
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
This is a lot cooler than Funny's Escaflowne mess- a lot more things spelled out, no desired material held out at extortion levels and you can quite literally get what you pay for, an 80 dollar BD set or 2 30 dollar DVD sets. That's, well, cool.

I don't know if they can pull it off but yeah, I will be doing it.

Now will someone do this for Seitokai Yakuindomo? That would be the exact opposite of this but no less awesome. Ok, ok, Nichijou...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I have not watched this anime, but I want to contribute at least $20. I plan to check out some episodes, and if I end up liking it a lot I will go for the $60 or $80 tier.

Regardless, I wish good luck to all the fans and all the parties involved in the project.
Animelvr2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:

I think there are 2 factors you may be overlooking. First, the dub is a condition of the license, which means that it's happening regardless of the degree of success of the IndieGogo campaign; greater crowdfunding "will focus on enhancing the quality of the English dub" (per this article). Second: although you may not be familiar with Pied Piper Inc., they have previously successfully delivered on an anime localization Kickstarter, for the Time of Eve movie. That doesn't mean the success of this project is a sure thing, but they do have some track record, at least.

So, say it only reaches $10,000(I know it will get more) and I backed it, would they still release the DVD/Bluray with the basic English dub? Or scratch the whole thing and my money goes bye-bye?(I really want to support it but can't afford to get nothing in return.)
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I like dubs and have a soft spot for good Shoujo. To anyone who has seen SkipBeat, Is this worth backing?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I wish good luck to Pied Piper on this campaign, because I think it's something cool to see happen. Sadly, I have absolutely no interest in Skip Beat! at all, so I more than likely won't be putting any money down on this, but I do hope that it succeeds. While I'm not sure if Pied Piper will ever grab something that gets my interest, as Ann Yamamoto is presently 0-2 with me now (no interest in Time of Eve, either), but I hope that this Skip Beat! campaign opens the door for more opportunities to bring over titles from the past few years (I'm talking around 10 years or so, at most, here) that have generally been "ignored" by companies for one reason or another.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Animelvr2 wrote:

So, say it only reaches $10,000(I know it will get more) and I backed it, would they still release the DVD/Bluray with the basic English dub? Or scratch the whole thing and my money goes bye-bye?(I really want to support it but can't afford to get nothing in return.)

My understanding is that if it gets close to the goal but doesn't quite make it they'll go ahead with the release:

Skip Beat Indiegogo page FAQ wrote:

As in, what if we come close to the $210,000 goal, but miss the mark? Indiegogo's flexible funding option takes the edge off that worry.

Worth noting: there's no numbers for what would be "close", but Pied Piper has talked about how they conservatively estimated there would be that much support
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4