• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - What's My Name

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Good to here Your Name was good it is something I want to see as I'd like to like Shinkai's work again as I re-watched his work when Crunchyroll had that one day film festival of his work and yes Children Who Chase Lost Voices is awful. But I'd argue that Garden of Words is his best work it does feel stretched out but the overall look and emotional state of the series was good.

As far as Yuri on Ice and episode ten I have same feelings I have towards it that I had towards Aoi Hana when I reviewed that on my blog . As far as Scorching Ping Pong Girls your right nobody is watching it I watch it and other than some neat action animation.

It looks really cheap and the writing has some good moments like Kururi Futamaru's character arc but other than that it feels like one dimensional Waifu-Bait. Best of The Fall is coming up and while I said at the beginning of the season that Classicaloid was my pick for best of the season.

But it's lost its charm honestly Flip Flappers is going down as my best of with second and third going to Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku and Stella no Mahou.

The video podcast is a new thing and I'm a creature of habit but this has to be one better video podcasts I have seen although I do have limited frame of reference as the only other video I watch is Dr. James White's The Dividing Line. So I may just stick to the MP3 format out of habit but the video podcast it's self is quite nice.

2017 is going to be interesting as I actually won't be watching a lot of stuff or participateing in a lot of online discussion because I'll be entering a reading challenge that will require me to finish two books a week so everything else is getting cut back. Still looking forward to Konosuba season two and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Though it has become my habit to be gushing on occasions like this, I feel compelled to thank you ever so much for producing a filmed show after such a long time! And what a topic with which to start!

Ever since Theron reviewed Voices of a Distant Star many years ago—a film that remains one of my all-time favourites—I have held Shinkai's works on a personal pedestal. Being of a sentimentalist ilk, I fell squarely within the narrow audience that his early "doujin films" targeted, though what you said about how they emanate from his almost fetishistic preoccupations is perfectly appreciable.

It came as a surprise that your responses to Your Name were so adulatory vis-à-vis how little his previous works affected you, but your explanation by way of the shared sense of loss evoked by Fukushima, along with the emotionally communicative aims of art in general, was both illuminating and fascinating. When it is finally released on disk, I expect I have something more cerebral to enjoy alongside the Shinkai-branded intimacy with which I have always been enchanted.

I quite agree that Children who Chase Lost Voices was an utter miscue. Shinkai disposed of all his talents to produce something vapid at best. Thank goodness he returned to form later on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
This podcast is a prime example of why I think people are prematurely gifting Makoto Shinkai the name of the next Hayao Miyazaki. A lot of people don't think his previous films are as great as some people think they are. Shinkai has had some less than stellar works. Zac and Jacob alluded to this quite a bit in the podcast by saying their own opinions on Shinkai's previous films. If you do want to go and say that "Your Name" is as great as any Miyazaki film, than I will let you have that one. You have to also remember Miyazaki had not only one film that was "Your Name" quality, but ten films. Once Makoto Shinkai releases 10 films as universally regarded as Miyazaki, then you can give him the name of the next Hayao Miyazaki.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
This podcast is a prime example of why I think people are prematurely gifting Makoto Shinkai the name of the next Hayao Miyazaki. A lot of people don't think his previous films are as great as some people think they are. Shinkai has had some less than stellar works. Zac and Jacob alluded to this quite a bit in the podcast by saying their own opinions on Shinkai's previous films. If you do want to go and say that "Your Name" is as great as any Miyazaki film, than I will let you have that one. You have to also remember Miyazaki had not only one film that was "Your Name" quality, but ten films. Once Makoto Shinkai releases 10 films as universally regarded as Miyazaki, then you can give him the name of the next Hayao Miyazaki.

Shinkai is also 34 years younger than Miyazaki.... That said, nobody's saying that they have the same "level". People are just saying that now Miyazaki's out of the picture (kinda), Shinkai's the most notable one to fill in for him.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I like your new format. Keep up the good work, Zac & Jacob.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, this explains why Jacob's audio is always in the mud. Either give him a new mic, put it closer to him, or both. I can't hear half of what he says and I've got my audio jacked up as far as I can without Zac blowing out my speakers on the other side. At least with the video I can read Jacob's lips to fill in some of the gaps. Why is Jacob's camera so much farther away than Zac's is? :¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Guess it matches the feel from the disparate audio.

Zac, you say you're excited to watch YOI 10, but that's not a face that says excited to me. Smile

I was just thinking about Vice and Luna yesterday. Glad to hear it's back on track.

Pretty cat. Very Happy
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
So that's what Zac & Jacob look like!
AholePony

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
I don't get why people say Lost Voices is crap. It's pretty to look at and has a simple yet entertaining story. I get that it was pandering/copying a ghibli but as entertainment, I think it's fine.

I hope to see the Leno in future installments.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
*jumps out of chair, clapping like Phichit-kun* Congratulations on your marriage!!

I think this video format could be a lot of fun. Do you usually do this live, or is it recorded first and then edited? Because I can see editing in video clips and stuff to prove various points you make, but obviously that wouldn't work in a live format.

Also, I'm glad to hear Vice & Luna is coming back. It definitely feels like there is a story there, but we haven't gotten much of a chance yet to explore it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
>Complains about YOI being spoiled
>Proceeds to spoil the latest episode anyway!
Confused

Oh well, whatever. I've given up at this point, but it would be nice if people didn't just continue to perpetuate this habit.

Scorching Ping Pong Girls's popularity bubble is mostly Sakuga fandom. I'm surprised neither of you guys have seen it, because quite a few of those guys are in your own twitter circles, like Yuyucow, liborek3, etc etc. But yeah, it's popularity is definitely a bubble thing, and I don't think it's "popular" in any meaningful way, unfortunately.

Last edited by relyat08 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
I don't get why people say Lost Voices is crap. It's pretty to look at and has a simple yet entertaining story. I get that it was pandering/copying a ghibli but as entertainment, I think it's fine.

Some people get really angry at anything they perceive as a ripoff of something else. Lost Voices certainly is heavily based on Ghibli, and I'll accept the fact that many actual Ghibli movies are better even though I don't like most of them very much (because the card-carrying family film genre just doesn't do anything for me), but the "ripoff" aspect makes people hate it far more than it really deserves. Your Name is much better, in any case.

I gotta say, though, if Girlish Number has somehow become more cynical, I'm really glad I dropped it after one episode. That show felt like a sequel to Shirobako written by a guy who hates everyone in the industry, especially himself.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
First, I'm glad to see that Your Name isn't just a commercial success, which is to say that there is real critical merit to it and not just calculatingly appealing to a mainstream audience. Damn you guys are lucky, getting to see it before most of us.

I do like the new video format. I hope you make the most of it.

When you mentioned Tarantino and fetishs, I immediately thought of something other than what you meant there, though you mentioned what I thought later. On the question of whether Shinkai is a comrade of Tarantino in that regard, I haven't seen enough of his work where I would be comfortable speculating about that, but what little I have seen of his work (the She and Her Cat shorts) there is not nothing. Nowhere near Tarantino in that regard but not nothing. I'll have to see more of his stuff, in particular Garden of Words, both in general and for researching this question. I think there are secret foot fetishists in the industry but not at a high creative level, as far as I can tell, as such things tend to be isolated scenes and not necessarily consistent across a director's work or even within a work. That may change in the future and I may change that opinion after I see what made some think Shinkai may be one.

As to Scorching Ping Pong Girls, even as someone watching it, yeah I don't quite believe it is much of a hit. One other thing I like about it, which I and others on this site have brought up are its soundtrack and sound design. I mean it's not like I'd buy the soundtrack but it's different that what you'd hear in most anime, it's nicely varied, and they match it well to the character and the scenes.

On Girlish number's cynicism, I don't think it has gotten as cynical as Zac said. I'll grant it's more cynical than probably anything else in anime about the industry, but I think there are a few whispers of a more uplifting message. Like when (just in case) spoiler[Kazuha's father tells her that she shouldn't say the stuff you're working on is shit and the new girl who seems to be inspiring the cast and crew to actually give a shit in making their adaptation of an admittedly rote LN. I don't think it will result in a good show (the in universe one) but I think they will be proud of their contributions except maybe that trash, er Kuzu-P. ]

Oh and the only anime I can think of that goes as far as Yuri on Ice is going in terms of relationship progression but with hetero couple(s) is Bakuman.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
Zac sure has lost a lot of weight since the last time I saw him.

Well done Wink
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Right at the end of the episode, unpacking Moana… funny thing is, I saw a clear parallel to Beauty and the Beast, in that you have a female lead who doesn't actually grow that much in the story, because she's already hyper-competent and perfect. The traditional telling of B&tB might be about how "she has to learn to see past the surface", but in Disney's telling, the real thrust of the movie is about making the Beast a better person, someone who would be worth loving. So, it's him that changes and grows, not her, because she doesn't really need to. Exact same thing with Moana, just without the romance: the point of the movie is to get Maui to not be a complete dick, such that he's willing to return the maguffin to lava monster lady and fix everything. Moana doesn't grow as a character because she gets hyper-competence for free (and, as Zac pointed out, has the entire ocean on her side), so she doesn't need to grow.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
I liked the video format but you guys have to do something about the audio. Zac's voice is loud and clear but I have to max the speakers out to even begin to hear what Jake is saying, at which levels Zac's voice makes my eardrums bleed. Jake needs to sit closer to his mic or something so the voices are evened out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2