• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Granblue Fantasy Game Spends 300 Million Yen on Giant Newspaper Ad

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
WOW! :O

Gotta say tho, that back is neat as hell. For those that don't know, those are the original GBF events (aka not Collabs with other franchises like Street Fighter and Cinderella Girls)
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
You could fund a full 1 cour anime with that much money.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
That is quite impressive and would definitely make a good collector's item for fans of the game.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
They should've used that money to add characters people actually cared about in the anime.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
They should've used that money to add characters people actually cared about in the anime.

That would be stupid... What you probably should say is "they should've spent that money on a second season so more characters can appear at their appropriate time."
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I think they should've used the money to hire a better writer for the anime. That is some painfully generic J-RPG schlock they have there. I could literally predict everything that was going to happen down to the letter. I laughed out loud when Generic Farmboy #3331 (who wears armor while chopping wood for some reason) was able to take out a small platoon of trained soldiers by himself. Oh and I kept praying someone would just murder the animal sidekick. Holy hell kill it with fire.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
That is quite a grand ad of great memories of Granblue! Smile It would make for a great Special Edition item for dedicated fans!
Red Priest Rezo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:56 am Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
I think they should've used the money to hire a better writer for the anime. That is some painfully generic J-RPG schlock they have there. I could literally predict everything that was going to happen down to the letter. I laughed out loud when Generic Farmboy #3331 (who wears armor while chopping wood for some reason) was able to take out a small platoon of trained soldiers by himself. Oh and I kept praying someone would just murder the animal sidekick. Holy hell kill it with fire.

Right. Because that is what every fan of the original game/novel/movie/etc want from an adaptation - complete change of characters and events.

While I can agree that Granblue Fantasy is generic, it got popular like that and asking for it to change it in anime is silly.

A bigger budget and more action scenes - now that would be nice to have.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
Red Priest Rezo wrote:
CheezcakeMe wrote:

Right. Because that is what every fan of the original game/novel/movie/etc want from an adaptation - complete change of characters and events.

While I can agree that Granblue Fantasy is generic, it got popular like that and asking for it to change it in anime is silly.

A bigger budget and more action scenes - now that would be nice to have.

Lol, it started Generic because that's what the original creators wanted <.<
He wanted to create the perfect Fantasy game, and what better way to do that than to start as something relatively generic and evolve to something truly great?
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, a game can get away with a bland story if the battle system is fun. I've not played the game only watched the show so i cannot judge that. And I will concede it might get better later but with that horrific mascot character in there I ain't got the patience to find out.
As it stands though, as someone who grew up playing JRPGs and reading fantasy the anime took all the blandest parts of fantasy stories and mushed 'em all together. Hardly perfect.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Yeah, a game can get away with a bland story if the battle system is fun. I've not played the game only watched the show so i cannot judge that. And I will concede it might get better later but with that horrific mascot character in there I ain't got the patience to find out.
As it stands though, as someone who grew up playing JRPGs and reading fantasy the anime took all the blandest parts of fantasy stories and mushed 'em all together. Hardly perfect.

Lol, pretty much the whole community wants to see burns die a gory death so don't worry xd
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Internet users in Japan used the advertising fees listed on Asahi Shimbun's official website to estimate that the ad cost ... the ad may have cost the game's producers 318,840,000 yen (US$2.8 million) to publish

"May" being the operative word. It's likely they got a bulk discount for something like this, but it's still impressive and sure to have been hugely expensive.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I think people are judging the anime too early. The story starts off generic but has a lot of good moments and rather nice execution in the game.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote
With that amount of money spent, I wonder how many BD volumes of the show needs to be sold break even. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't break even.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1