• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Winter 2018 Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Huh lot's of surprising stuff in there, while I didn't particularly enjoy it, I'm surprised violet never went higher than that and finish so low, below after the rain (wonder if the fact that it wasn't release in US mattered). Similarly I'm surprised magus bride was so low, another one that wasn't for me but I figured would really be for the people whose kind of show it is (i.e. overflowing with 5).

On the flip side, surprised laid back camp scored so high, was my favorite last season but it was definitely slow. Color did respectable but I think it deserved to be a bit higher.

Darling never managed to really take off, I figured it would increase pass the first few episode after people who dropped it left and the overall score would go up. Maybe the fan service put off people who liked the coming of age side and the people who liked the fan service were put off by the serious side?

CCS just did a slow slide downhill, not surprising I guess since it started doing filler right from the beginning and I guess never really stopped (that gotta be a record right).

Death march avoided the last place, thanks to the sacrifice of junji. I have a feeling death wasn't really a train wreck just a low ambition minimum effort show (and probably LN).

Black clover, wonder if it would scream upon seeing it's rank. Laughing Funny especially since DBZ is doing so strong in comparison.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Oh hey the four shows I finished from last season are actually in the order I'd put them here, that doesn't happen often.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
YES! A place further than the universe finished on top! So much yes! The best show of the season hands down.

I was wondering where the final rankings was at cause I didn't remember seeing it and thought I missed it when it was posted despite being on this website everyday.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
Well Clear Card is still #14 so no ups or downs
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
The final cumulative ranking makes sense to me. The only thing that surprises me is how high up VEG finished. Also, I am happy that Laid-Back Camp finished in the top 10; it really deserves it.
Crext

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
There is something wrong with this list's ranking, despite the explanation given.

- Plenty of shows had "episode 13", but is listed with episode 12 twice, like Violet Evergarden, Record of Grancrest War, Beatless or Darling in the Franxx. The Violet Evergarden one is especially important as episode 13 is its final (and finished almost 1 point higher on average than episode 12).
- You also have shows like Mitsuboshi Colors and School Babysitters changing places for seemingly no reason, despite being the same episode rated over the same interval in the same manner.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
There is something wrong with this list's ranking, despite the explanation given.

- Plenty of shows had "episode 13", but is listed with episode 12 twice, like Violet Evergarden, Record of Grancrest War, Beatless or Darling in the Franxx. The Violet Evergarden one is especially important as episode 13 is its final (and finished almost 1 point higher on average than episode 12).
- You also have shows like Mitsuboshi Colors and School Babysitters changing places for seemingly no reason, despite being the same episode rated over the same interval in the same manner.

For the first point, while I’m not sure about Violet Evergarden’s 13th not being in the rankings, for the continuing shows, the 13th episodes will likely be the first ones in the next season’s rankings (aside from Beatless, as coverage is wrapping up soon).
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Pop Team Epic beat Black Clover, all is right with the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1