• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Back Street Girls TV Anime Reveals Visuals, Staff

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
Did a little more digging on this one, and yes, this is a case where the three yakuza guys are forced to get sex change operations (as opposed to having to commit suicide over really screwing up) in order to become female idols. So yeah, they're all transgender and have to hide the fact that they are when they become successful.

Wow, that's a pretty twisted take on the idol series concept. I'm now intrigued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
I guess they aren’t the sharpest tools in the shed. Wink
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
Given the title, I’ll be mildly disappointed if they don’t do at least one Backstreet Boys cover.

Also this premise sounds hilarious...but also insanely offensive if they screw it up.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
I really hope that they won't fail the facial expressions which are one of the best point from this manga
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
I have to say the concept of this show is one of the most absolutely ludicrous things I have ever heard of in my life.

How did this get made?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
If Chiaki Kon isn't focusing all her energy on getting those Sailor Moon Crystal Dream arc movies made after a year long delay, what is she doing?
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
J.C. Staff stop this madness!! You're gonna destroy yourselves with that many anime! Just focus on your good ones like Index, Soma and Danmachi stop announcing more and more dammit!!!
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
SpaceTheGamer wrote:
J.C. Staff stop this madness!! You're gonna destroy yourselves with that many anime! Just focus on your good ones like Index, Soma and Danmachi stop announcing more and more dammit!!!

And the first Danmachi, not that garbage spinoff!(unless you redo it and not make it suck this time)
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
J.C Staff are big and have many studios to staff with shows and new staff need to start some where
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
I have to say the concept of this show is one of the most absolutely ludicrous things I have ever heard of in my life.

How did this get made?

The isekai novel about the guy who gets reincarnated in another world as a vending machine is due out next week. (No, that's not a joke.) That might top even this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
This show is going to be controversial but since they are Yakuza members trying to be idols I am guessing the show will have a more cynical view of the idol industry which could be interesting.

Scion Drake wrote:

How did this get made?
Japan. That is the one word answer since they are able to make shows without having to worry about political correctness. For example last year there was Armed Girl's Machiavellism which was a battle harem show about a guy fighting for freedom against a bunch of angry feminists. The show had issues and it never went far enough with the concept but it is the type of show that would never get made in the western world.
Echii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
SpaceTheGamer wrote:

This anime will be just as good if not better than one you mentioned. It is fun and unique

I hope it is fun as prison school
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
SpaceTheGamer wrote:

This anime will be just as good if not better than one you mentioned. It is fun and unique

I hope it is fun as prison school

Yeah no, you've obviously haven't seen any of the titles I mentioned -.-'
They should focus on series with actual story and not pure excuse for a comedy
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... treating transgenderism as a punchline isn't really my thing, and since the show is apparently an extremely dark comedy, I expect that'll get milked for laughs quite a bit. I think this is going to be controversial regardless of whether or not it's actually funny. Twisted Evil
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Interesting choice of director for this show. The only show I’ve seen that she directed was Higurashi, but I’m still very curious to see how this show will turn out under her. It's likely going to cause a stir one way or another, but I’m interested enough to watch this show when it premiers in July.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2