• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Finally, and thanks for the review.
This was one of my favorite shows of fall '19/winter '20 and a pretty good adaptation of the manga.
One sticking point for me though was that the battler arc was one or two episode too long.
micah007

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The OP and Ending are dangerously addictive if listened to long enough. Be advised.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:53 pm Reply with quote
This show was my surprise of 2019. I wasn't expecting much going in and ended up loving it after a few episodes. One of very few series that triggered my nostalgia for watching Saturday morning cartoons growing up. Loved the breezy humor and found most of the cast utterly charming.

If there was one niggle, it was that the Battler arc dragged on a little too long. I was really ready for it to be done when it concluded; and if it wasn't for a strong finish it might have dragged down my opinion of the entire show.

I actually really liked the brief idol arc that followed as a palette cleanser. The closing of the Battler arc had its highs, but the idol arc brought back the status quo of the earlier episodes and ended the first season on a high note for me. Ending on the Battler arc would've left me with mixed feelings even if it might have made for a better lead-in to next season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I was hooked from the demonic earworm of the OP.

Is Opera of the same species of demon as the Azazels? They look like they could be Henri's child. I also wonder about the girls' skinny tails with heart tips. It seems to be a sex-linked trait that crosses species, like boobs or something. Only the non-humanoid slug and the lizard, Ameri who for some reason has no tail (tho I suspect I know why she lacks one), and Stolas-sensei the herbology prof, who has a green sprout instead of a red heart, don't follow that trend..

Can't wait for there to be more of this.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Really can't wait for s2. This show was just a blast from start to finish and ended with a really surprising twist. Most of all I just need more Clara in my life
Brett-Butler

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ameri and Sabnock are much larger all around than most of the other students, for example, while Kamui is much smaller and also an owl.

This line for the review made me giggle for some reason.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Really a surprise hit for me. Can't wait for S2 =)
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The Promised and finally delivered the review. Thanks guys

I rather liked it, it was fun and ubeating. to many series these days seem all dark and gloomy or a little to serius, sometimes it is nice just to sit back and relax and dont worry about things to much and this show is defintly one of those that help u relax especially on a stresfull day.

I will admit that the story of the battler arc did drag a little to much, there where quite a lot of anime orignal scenes in that one that dragged it a bit, actually almost every episode had some original anime only scenes, despite the manga is way far ahead of the anime, by the time the next season starts and if they keep the same their still should be enough material for another 2 seasons.

Hope we get a lot more. Smile
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
If the manga gets licensed for English-language release, it will be a must-buy for me. I really enjoy how this series manages to make stuff like succubi seem incredibly wholesome. Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Really liked it, but wow the battler arc drag for how uninteresting it was, I ended up dropping mid arc thinking it was almost done and every week it was still happening!
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Gonna have to disagree with the ending being weak. The idol part was one of my favorite arcs of the series, and it went back to the comedy I enjoyed from earlier parts of the show that was missing during the Battler arc.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:04 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the series. It was like a more modern taken on if someone sandwiched Rosario to Vampire and My Monster Secret together without fan service and just focused on comedy. Was worth watching it all the way through.

I have to disagree also that I didn't think the ending was weak in the least. The idol portion not only brought some humor back but also shed light on a character that had lingered in the shadows for most of the show; it was a real out of left field moment honestly. If anything the ending gave more to look forward to when S2 comes.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Totally loved this show and looking forward to Season 2.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is Opera of the same species of demon as the Azazels? They look like they could be Henri's child.

I'd been wondering about that, too. It was never addressed in the manga as far as I remember, but they just recently announced a spinoff about the school days of the older generation of characters (Kalego, etc) so it may come up there.

I'd been reading the manga before the anime came around, but even so it was such a delight. In a really boring season it was pretty much the only show I actively looked forward to each week. And now I can't wait for the second season!
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm surpried by the overall positive reactions.
When I watched the first couple of episodes I found it terribly boring, I was definitely comparing it to hayte the combat butler, a series I'd dropped many years ago so the parallels to it were not enticing.

Perhaps I'll give it another chance seeing as I have a lot of free time now. The fact that it doesn't rely on fanservice is a huge plus since it has to be interesting on its own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2