• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Sweet Life of Villainess Catarina Claes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Fun times all around on this show.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Laws of Harem Physics state that the the denser a protagonist, the more powerful their gravity well will become so as to suck as many suitors into their orbit as possible.

That's gold.
babaca

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mary's a girl who knows what she wants, and she's brought a gun to the knife fight for Catarina's attention. She's spent 7 years making sure her own fiance, Alan, is too stupid to realize he's in love with Catarina just so she doesn't have to deal with another competitor. She's the Bill Belichick of Bakarina.

If I would have been drinking when reading this I would have done a spit-take for the ages. So funny and so true. Mary is a baller alright. Very Happy
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Definitely one of the standout show of the season, but I'm disapointed with the way the adaptation has been going (from what I've read, never read the original work). They rushed trough the childhood year to get to the school portion very fast just to then slam on the break and have essentially nothing for the last 2 episodes... What's going to be in store for the rest of the season? Are we going to have a beach episode next, followed by the student fair and then maybe athletic day or w/e before the plot finally revive for the finale?
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:29 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
What's going to be in store for the rest of the season? Are we going to have a beach episode next, followed by the student fair and then maybe athletic day or w/e before the plot finally revive for the finale?

Preview images suggest we're in for a pajama party this week.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
The main thing that makes Bakarina so likable is that, as her nickname implies, her nerd gamer tactics aren't the main reason she deviates from her path towards doom--it's mostly just because she has a vastly better personality than the original villain character. Through genuine kindness and enthusiasm, she accidentally becomes friends with most of her potential enemies (often by doing the exact things the male heroes did in the VN, which she never realizes until later). Even when she's ostensibly just trying to rewrite the script, like when she reenacts that scene from The Shining just to apologize to Keith, she clearly cares about other people's feelings beyond simply saving herself, which is what really makes the difference in the end. It's a nice bit of positive dramatic irony.

Of course, the other bit of dramatic irony is that she's almost certainly bi, and/or the unwitting leader of an all-girl harem squad. Not sure if the story actually goes anywhere with that, but I guess we'll see.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it's been going downhill for the last few episodes, although still quite entertaining. Just feels like filler episodes (or something OVA worthy). That said, there seems to be hints of mysteries in these episodes for future main plot reveal.

The childhood episodes are actually my favorite, that's too bad if they really rushed it. The characters stood out more when they were child, maybe because they all hadn't met yet and so each still had a good portion to tell their story and characters. There are quite a lot of them for one Catarina, after all. I kinda hope they cut down the most potential candidates for Catarina, my personal choices (based on the story so far) would be Maria, Sophia, and Alan, although Geordo can get involved as the antagonist.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:17 am Reply with quote
I enjoy this show so much cause it is something a little out of the norm as far as both Isekai and Romance Comedy go.

The Characters are all so likable that you cant help but enjoy their company especially Catarina who is the glue that sticks them all together and her stupidity and denseness makes her very laughable but has other traits that balance that such as her sweetness and kindness and wondrous adventurous spirit.

Also since this show has love interests from both genders it makes it easier to reach a wider audience, and none of it feels forced or has some political agenda it is just so natural ( look i know i should not mention politics but you can't ignore that in modern media it has had a lot influence in how shows are being made these days, so this is just from a critical view)

I would agree with some other commentators that these last few episodes while good do feel somewhat fillerish, based on the manga adaption they were not even in it although i have not read the original source. Can someone clarify if these scenes are 100% filler? or they were in the ln or maybe they are side story fluff that were added in the pace of the adaptation?

I recommend people should give it a try, it's funny, adorable, comedic, sweet and can cater to everyone tastes mostly. Smile

Enjoy it All

Score: A- so far
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
we're somehow witnessing a season with TWO (2) good isekai airing at once. I don't think that's happened since the 90's!
Spring '02 through Spring '03 had Twelve Kingdoms and Inuyasha going at the same time, though I suppose the latter might not be considered isekai. And IY's status as "good" may also be debatable.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:49 am Reply with quote
I've gotten some pretty solid laughs out of this show. In fairness to Catarina, I didn't see it coming either that a comment to Mary that was just meant to be part of her efforts to be nice would trip a hidden yuri flag that also roped her into the route of the second prince where Caterina wasn't even a factor.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
Is this anime really good and should I try to watch this anime?
KyokoBestMeguca

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The ship ranking definitely got me. If Catarina had 10 love interests I bet she would have owned the whole chart.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Maria’s fans obsession and the resulting illusory belief in her victory are so strong that I’m even afraid to imagine what will happen when Bakarina finally fell in love with one of the members of her harem. I thought that people would become more experienced after Eupho, but it seems like this didn’t teach them anything.

@ErikaD.D Definitely. Although this show is somewhat overrated because of its yuri bait, it is still one of the best satire on the harem anime and shoujo romance that I have seen.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Is this anime really good and should I try to watch this anime?

no, it's only good/entertaining, not really good.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, at this point I'm surprised fans haven't started pairing her with 'NPC' characters like Sirius, gardener tom, her head maid etc.

Her few interactions with Tom are priceless if she every got exiled or attacked Tom and the maid would 100% quit their job for her parents and help her out. At least that's the impression I get from them.

They even have a parental vibe to them, Tom's the guardian who spoils her, letting her take her tools and helping with the snake while the maid scolds her for said actions.

I've read the manga chapters and the recent episodes do seem to be anime-only but I found them entertaining enough that I just didn't care. Maybe exploring their childhood years longer would have been better but the comedy really kicks up in the current age or at least that's what's expected. Makes sense that the anime would speed things up and flashing back to the childhood ages would be jarring so I guess this is just a situation where the animators chose one of two difficult situations.

As long as the episodes are entertaining I'm willing to look past it. Also poor Alan, he's pretty dumb on his own and Mary's been ensuring that he stays that way. it's too bad for her dumb is really the closest in mental age to Katarina so I love that he gets some tender moments even though neither of them realize it to the envy of everyone else. I'd also like to believe that his piano performance was just that, a performance and he had no hidden agenda... but if it had continued he might've realized his feelings so good save Mary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2