• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shueisha, Microsoft Reveal Details on Phone Manga Sales

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
1st.

Quote:
Phone Manga Sales

...the hell...
batou65

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
DPX wrote:
...the hell...

Yeah. Reading manga on my netbook gives me eyestrain. Plus I hate having to scroll every page.
Mytopia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
batou65 wrote:
DPX wrote:
...the hell...

Yeah. Reading manga on my netbook gives me eyestrain. Plus I hate having to scroll every page.

Lots of people read manga on mobile phones in Japan, and therefore it's quite a well-developed medium already, far more so than in other countries - you won't get any of those issues here. A lot of mobile phones these days, especially in Japan and from phone manufacturers such as Nokia, are optimized for mobile phone viewing, so as long as you have that sort of phone there shouldn't be a problem.

This is very good news. Mobile media (whether it be mobile manga or mobile TV) is pretty big in Japan and so seeing it getting exported to so many other regions is a great sight to see. Hopefully if it's successful we might get to see it expanded to other platforms such as Symbian, which would make plentiful sense given its massive market share.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:23 am Reply with quote
Windows Mobile? That wouldn't be my choice of a platform if I were trying to reach the 12-24 market in North America. Maybe Shueisha was reading global statistics like these which puts WM at about 12% of the market in terms of 2008 device sales. Most of the people I've known with a WM phone own one because it integrates with their company's computer systems, particularly MS Outlook/Exchange. You'll notice from those statistics that WM's share has been essentially flat, with all the growth in Mac OSX (iPhone) and RIM (Blackberry).

I'm guessing the real issue here might be content control via DRM. Microsoft has been working hard to implement these technologies while Apple, at least in terms of iTunes, has been moving in the other direction.

I just happened to read a thread on another anime forum about cell phones. Presumably these people represent the kind of people who'd be in the market for mobile manga. Only one of those people ever owned a WM phone, and she dropped it in favor of iPhone to work with her Mac.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1