• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Starting Point: 1979-1996 (book)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
I have it but haven't got enough time to finish it. Never thought you'd review it, Theron.

BTW, the system labeled it as a "novel" but it sure is not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
Hmm, this sounds quite interesting. Thanks to ANN again for highlighting something I might not have otherwise heard about. This is going on my library list right away.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
It's ironic they mention this, because I just started Future Boy Conan yesterday!

Wonder if the book contains any notes on how it was made and such...

I'm not a HUGE fan of Miyazaki (mostly because I don't like how some of his characters look, and his mechanical designs are a little cheesy, but in a scary way.), but his movies are top-notch. Especially Totoro...

A couple of Answerman articles ago, a guy raved about Miyazaki's style, and I have to agree that he empowers the message over the characters in the story...
I'm not saying he's right, but he wasn't spouting crap either.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I wasn't expecting to see this reviewed - it didn't exactly make a big splash when Viz released it - but I'm very glad to see that not only was it, in fact, reviewed but it was reviewed very well indeed. Kudos.

Theron wrote:
The myriad sources it draws from results in some details and accounts getting repeated more often than they need to be

This was my only real gripe with the book, exacerbated by the fact that I read it over a fairly short period rather than splitting it up into more easily digested chunks.

The only thing I'd emphasise over the review is that the sections featuring Miyazaki's art (both the the manga history of airline food and the scrapbook stuff) were utterly charming. They're very short and they're certainly not the focus of the book but they are delightful.

Otaking09 wrote:
It's ironic they mention this, because I just started Future Boy Conan yesterday!

That isn't what "ironic" means. The word you're looking for is "coincidental".
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That isn't what "ironic" means. The word you're looking for is "coincidental".

Nice...
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:

Wonder if the book contains any notes on how it was made and such...

Quite a bit, actually. It has what basically amounts to a chapter (26 pages) devoted specifically to the series in the later stages and comes up prominently on a few early occasions, too. It was Miyazaki's directorial debut, so it was a pivotal moment in his career.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quite a bit, actually. It has what basically amounts to a chapter (26 pages) devoted specifically to the series in the later stages and comes up prominently on a few early occasions, too. It was Miyazaki's directorial debut, so it was a pivotal moment in his career.

Really?! Man... it's some brilliant stuff! Only on episode 15, but everything is so interesting!!!
The characters, the music, the animation, and how fun everything is!
And is was has debut?! That just impresses me all the more!!!

Sucks that this series is so old... If it was newer, it could've been licensed. A gem that will never be properly viewed.

I kinda want this book now...
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to consider that so much of what people complain about today was already being noticed by Miyazaki in the 80's.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I was just at the Ghibli museum last week, so I'm really pleased to find out about this book~ All the exhibits were fabulous, but I can't read Japanese so I sorta missed out on the explanations... hopefully this will help me fill in some gaps :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
albanian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been slowly working my way through the book since it came out. There is so much insight and intelligence - and personal honesty - that it is an utterly captivating read. And, in passing, it is interesting to see just what a wide knowledge Miyazaki has of 'live-action' cinema: he clearly has enough curiosity to stray well beyond the confines of animation for his own pleasure and entertainment.

His advice on creating artwork for animated films - 'A town that people would like to visit. A sky through which people would like to fly. A secret hideaway we ourselves would want. And a worry-free, stirring, uplifting world. Once upon a time, earth was a beautiful place. Let us make a film like this.' - seems as perfect a manifesto for any aspiring animator as I've ever read.

It may be true that his genius is just beginning to fade (though he is still more accomplished than 95% of 'the opposition'), but the body of work he has already produced, and the perceptiveness with which he has analysed and expressed it in this book, is an achievement beyond the grasp of all but the very finest directors of any film, animated or live-action. And while he is frequetly compared to Disney, I would be more interested to see him compared (admittedly, it would have to be by someone with greater knowledge than me!) with the likes of Akira Kurosawa or Yasujiro Ozu.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:46 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Viz translated this book. I knew this book was in Japanese, but I never expected to be translated. I have put this book in my wish list.

I saw the book at the SF Kinokuniya bookstore and went through few pages, mostly chapter listings, bibliography, and index. I could be totally wrong, but it looks like the all of his collected articles and interviews are from Tokuma publishing. I'm sure there are more articles and interviews from Miyazaki from other publishers as well.

I was delighted when I read his praise of late Yoshinari Kanada, a great Japanese animator, from Anipage Daily. That wasn't in the book. I also like nausicaa dot net's list of interviews outside of the book.

I can't wait Viz to translate the second volume of Miyazaki's interview and articles, "Halfway Point"

Quote:
Amongst other interesting observations he makes, he explains that running in animation must, for practical reasons, be portrayed very mechanically differently from what it is in real life, accuses anime of being prone to “overexpressionism,

At first, I didn't understood what constitutes as "overerxpressionism" meant, but now I think it means as lack of subtlety and mismatching expression against character's emotional state in anime
braves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Quote:
Amongst other interesting observations he makes, he explains that running in animation must, for practical reasons, be portrayed very mechanically differently from what it is in real life, accuses anime of being prone to “overexpressionism,

At first, I didn't understood what constitutes as "overerxpressionism" meant, but now I think it means as lack of subtlety and mismatching expression against character's emotional state in anime

Yeah, that's what I got out of it too. That line in the review reminds of this video where Miyazaki makes the same point, but you can see a specific example of what he considers bad running.

I'm really looking forward to reading this book. Though I wouldn't have even known that it was out had it not been for the review, so thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1