• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chaika - The Coffin Princess Avenging Battle Episodes 1-10 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, "less than it could have been" definitely epitomizes my opinion of the second season, too. I would have scored it the exact same way as Nic, and for pretty much the same reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that the second season was a bit weaker than the first. But considering how good the first season was, that's not really all that bad.

This season also has my favorite single episode in the series, episode 3 which had humor, good character interactions, Chaika cuteness, and plot development. The finale was definitely rushed and I feel like the conclusion wasn't as strong as it could have been. If only they had cut the opening and ending, the extra 3 minutes would have been a vast improvement.

I'm really just glad the series got to have an ending, considering the sales were so bad (which might explain ehy the season was only 10 episodes instead of 12)

It's still my favorite show of the year, and Chaika has entered the echelons of my favorite characters.

Plus there is an OVA incoming, the first half will be fan service based, so I hope the second half serves as a better epilogue to the series.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Loved the first season the second season was a huge diapointment for me due to the paceing of the season and a rather aimless middle.

It only being 10 episodes did'nt help either as not much can be done and the ending of the series was too close to the spoiler[Scrapped Princess Anime] ending for me to find it that enjoyable.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
If you haven't seen it, please see it! Or read the manga, or whatever! Chaika the Coffin Princes, OMG!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this anime, though it did feel a bit rushed at the end. It's too bad the sales were apparently low; sometimes it seems like the people who buy anime over in japan have no taste Sad
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this series (and I typically don't like Bones series). At first I thought Chaika looked creepy but by the end of season 1 I found her really cute. The art felt a bit outdated but the animation was solid. It's a shame about the ending. For me though it didn't exactly feel rushed, it felt more like they left too many questions unanswered. spoiler[The emperors defeat was disapointing though: I was expecting a badass intense showdown. Instead, he aims at Chaika, Niva says she can't shoot her, goes to Chaika, and the emperor gets blasted away. That was it? ] It's a shame it wasn't a full 12 episodes, that could've probably helped wrap up loose ends.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Top 10 things cut from the anime that I wanted (SCREW YOU BONES):
spoiler[1. Fanservice. It's only number 1 because it's was the first thing cut.
2. God. God was in the anime.
3. Vivi-Gilette-Zina love triangle.
3. Gaz empowering Shin into a major badass magic-using knight.
4. Tooru fighting said powered up Shin as a Dragoon with BOTH using Iron-Blood transformation.
5. Tooru using an Iron-Blood transformation ON TOP OF ANOTHER IRON-BLOOD TRANSFORMATION.
6. The backstory of Gaz.
7. Akari's yandere tendencies.
8. 90% of anything about Niva Lada.
9. Dominica's story about her sister. Yes, I cared.
10. Most of Frederika's scenes.]
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I would have loved to have seen almost everything on that list in the anime. It was an issue of episode count, since I'm pretty sure they were going to have 12 episodes until they saw the results from the first half. I really enjoyed what I've found of the novels, which is only the first 2 books, so I would have liked to see a more in depth adaption. Heck, this is the kind of show I could see having over 100 episodes. Too bad they didn't have enough to explain everything that happens in the novels.

However, I'm rather glad they cut some of the fanservice. It doesn't really mesh with the world that was created. I'm not opposed to it, but to me fanservice doesn't particularly suit the series. (Although some of the fan service art in the novels is quite nice)

I really just need to get my hands on an English novel teanslation...
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Top 10 things cut from the anime that I wanted (SCREW YOU BONES)...

I'm glad it did not have #1. If that existed in the manga, then oh well. It was unnecessary to me. I am so glad I watch most anime before I read the manga.

Anime can NEVER equal to a book because a TV budget only allows for so much, I'm almost certain that mega successes like One Piece and Naruto have cut things out, even though they had hundreds of episodes and filters.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
The source here is novels, actually. But I agree that this series didn't need the fan service and it would have even felt out-of-place. (And I'm saying that as someone who normally likes his service.)

Anime adaptation absolutely can equal or exceed their novel/manga source material, BTW. Off the top of my head I can think of several cases - Moribito, Spice and Wolf, the Twelve Kingdoms novels, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and so forth.

EDIT: Corrected typo.

Last edited by Key on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I think the pacing was really the worst part. It started out dragging its feet a bit. In the middle, it started to pick up the pace. And then the last episode felt like way too much stuff had to be shoved into it. They either really should've paced it better, and/or maybe they also needed 2 more episodes so that ending wouldn't have felt so rushed.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The source here is novels, actually. But I agree that this series didn't need the fan service and it would have even felt out-of-place. (And I'm saying that as someone who normally likes his service.)

Anime adaptation absolutely can equal or exceed their novel/manga source material, BTW. Off the top of my head I can think of several cases - Moribito, Spice and Wolf, the Twelve Kingdoms novels, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and so forth.

I read a tiny bit of Moribito and Spice and Wolf. Not enough to spot major differences or evaluate the overall quality; but enough to believe that the adaptations worked off of the strength of the writing of the books.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
And your point is. . .?

The Moribito anime went well beyond the book in what it detailed, BTW. (You can read the review for the novel on this site if you want more details.)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
Guys, when I said fanservice, I didn't mean nudity or ecchi. The novels were filled with cute little moments between Tooru and Chaika. Also, in the manga, the characters occasionally were different outfits. There was no reason to cut THAT out.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote
Avenging Battle's ending, and Gaz's endgame, are both anime-original. The recent Vol 11 of the source LNs ends the adventure on a bittersweet note.

In the LNs, both Guy and Gaz are 2 different people.
spoiler[God is a memory-eating entity who created humankind as a food source. He created Gaz to rule half the world & create perma-war so He could have more potent memories to eat.
Gaz grew tired of serving God and left Him. Furious, God created Guy as his proxy to provoke anti-Gaz sentiment and kill Gaz.]

The Finale:
spoiler[-Gaz uses Niva in a God-slaying spell to kill the original God, then creates an ascension spell(resembling a tower's staircase) for him to become new God. Chaika, Toru, Fredrica and Niva all go after Gaz. Gaz intends to restart the war as he believes humanity will stagnate without it.
-Gaz offers Toru, Gillette and Shin 1/3rds of the world each to rule if they support him. Shin is the only one who agrees; Gaz bestows him with powers similar to Gaz's. Shin and his saboteur henchmen are taken down by the combined forces of Akari, Red Chaika, David, Selma and the Gillette squad.
-Gaz is defeated by Chaika and Co., but the ascension spell's nature causes Chaika and Co.'s physical bodies to slowly vanish. Chaika, Toru and Fredrica start using their memories to maintain their regeneration magic, forgetting more things.
-Chaika destroys the tower on Toru's orders; everyone else on ground sees a mysterious light trail flying away. Akari and Red Chaika chase after it, thinking it must be them; Gillette's squad returns to base.]

The Ending:
spoiler[- 6 months have passed. Chaika and Co. are still missing.
- Akari and Red are still searching for them; Red hires Akari as a saboteur for the search, expressing her desire to reconcile with White.
- Selma has a baby with David; they settle down in a village.]

Readers are hoping Vol 12 (due March 2015) will give finality to Chaika's ultimate fate.

Reborn Gaz and Toru’s dragoon armour were heavily altered for the anime as well.

Reborn Gaz (4th image down): https://bamotaku.wordpress.com/2014/10/27/revisando-raw-de-hitsugi-no-chaika-vol-10/

Dragoon Toru: http://prtimes.jp/i/7006/1097/resize/d7006-1097-153149-0.jpg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2