• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKids to Screen 15 Ghibli Films in NYC This Winter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
Would love to be there to finally finish Ocean Waves and get a second crack at Only Yesterday, but I'd rather wait for them to hit L.A.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
Weird that some are dubbed-only or subbed-only, when the other exists.........
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote
Why are they showing Laputa subtitled only when it already has a dub? I find it very puzzling. While there may be detractors of the dub, I know that there are others who really do like it. And the dub in question HAS had successful screenings at said company. So why deny the dub an opportunity to be screened? This strikes me as just not right. Especially when they are also showing the new dub of Totoro which has a similar number of detractors?

Also, why only show the dubbed versions for Howl and Ponyo? You'd figure that they would want to attract fans of the original Japanese, too. Something is very screwy with the schedule here.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
So why deny the dub an opportunity to be screened? This strikes me as just not right.

C'mon, now. Do you honestly believe that GKids would purposefully deny a dubbed screening of 'Castle in the Sky' or a subtitled screening of any of the other titles?

The thing to remember here folks is that GKids entered into an agreement with Studio Ghibli for 'theatrical rights' for all of these films. There's a strong likelihood that either Studio Ghibli, Disney (who retains 'home video rights') or both are the reason behind why some titles only have dubs available to screen and vice-versa. Just because the material exists or has been shown once before doesn't mean that it can happen again under GKids' new licensing agreement.

Furthermore, I can't imagine they didn't try to negotiate original Japanese audio and previously existing dubs into their deal. For all we know, Ghibli may have given a polite "no" and wouldn't budge on that. :¯\_(ツ)_/¯:

Just something to think about.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
I actually e-mailed the folks at GKids about it, and they told me it wasn't because they thought the dub of LAPUTA was terrible; on the contrary. They actually loved the dub, but apparently there were some conflicting differences between the 35mm mix and the DVD mix. So they're still working out getting the issues, but unfortunately they couldn't prepare the new print in time for the NY screenings.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't care for Laputa's dub at all. So this is good news to me.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Well I liked it. Yes, the leads sounded like teens and the additional dialogue sometimes gratuitous, but all in all, I thought it was a very fune dub, especially Dola and Muska, and the rescore was great. It may not be perfect, but I'll take it over the god-awful JAL '80s dub anyway. I'm not alone either in liking it; there are lots of others who like the dub just fine, and frankly, I don't consider its omission at the screenings good news at all.

But to each their own. Still, the folks at GKids told me that are trying to prep it for 2012 screenings, because they're aware of the following the dub has. No matter what anyone says about it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Man, if I lived in the area, I'd be all over this.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Well I liked it. Yes, the leads sounded like teens and the additional dialogue sometimes gratuitous, but all in all, I thought it was a very fune dub, especially Dola and Muska, and the rescore was great. It may not be perfect, but I'll take it over the god-awful JAL '80s dub anyway. I'm not alone either in liking it; there are lots of others who like the dub just fine, and frankly, I don't consider its omission at the screenings good news at all.

I strangely like that older dub better if only for Sheeta and Pazu sounding like normal kids than slightly older.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Only Yesterday on 35mm? Sold.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
The problem I have with the JAL dub is that it doesn't sound like a very well put together dub at all. Everyone involved are fine actors, but they all sounded like they didn't know what they were doing. Pazu and Sheeta MAY sound younger in that version, but I thought their acting sounded very flat and unconvincing from the start—I found the feminine tone in Pazu's voice very distracting, and Sheeta sounded very shrill and unpleasant when she screamed her lines, like she was overdoing it with no real emotion. While James and Anna are not perfect for these two characters, I didn't find either to be anywhere nearly as lifeless as their JAL counterparts. The rest of the JAL cast was absolutely inferior to their Disney counterparts; especially the monotonously dull and robotic Muska and the even more shrieky Dola. I found both extremely painful on my ears. Mark and Cloris's takes are miles better. The only voice I half liked was the General, but even then, he still sounded very stilted and stale. I personally think Jim Cummings trumped him. Even the flow of the dialogue was off; oh sure it's more "faithful" than the Disney version, but it doesn't sound like fluent, believable dialogue. The "Now say bye bye!" line by Muska toward the end killed it for me.

So I'm sorry but I think the Disney dub of LAPUTA is the better dub; accurate and a purist's dub it may not be, it sounds much more livelier and natural than the JAL dub; I just can't listen to the 80's version without wincing at how bad at is. Even as someone who genuinely likes dubs, I could tell that the older dub sounded like it was rushed out the door without any care given to it. While Disney's dub may not always be ideally cast, at least its voice actors don't sound stilted or robotic and give their roles enthusiasm. If there's any way I'll ever watch this movie in English, it's Disney's dub. I just can't watch a single second of the '80s dub, period.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Only Yesterday on 35mm? Sold.

Be thankful for that, you could be stuck with a digital master like always (and I know someone'll chew me out for that one, I'm a die-hard).
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:10 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
[GKids] actually loved the dub, but apparently there were some conflicting differences between the 35mm mix and the DVD mix. So they're still working out getting the issues, but unfortunately they couldn't prepare the new print in time for the NY screenings.

Hey, thanks for the tip; I knew it had to be something they had little control over. I enjoyed that dub too, so I'm pleased GKids is doing what they can in time for a 2012 screening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1