• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Schedules Big O Blu-ray Release for June

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Man, I don't have a blu-ray player Sad
Guess I can't get Big O.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I really excited about The Big O & Kino's Journey gettin' their do's. Very Happy

Kinda wished Baccano! got the same Blu-ray treatment. Sad

Last edited by Animechic420 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Kino's Journey is something I will pick up.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Deffinetly picking up The Big O. I've been waiting for it for quite sometime.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see some of those former Bandai titles that were scattered across the galaxy after they were shut down come back. We've already been seeing some of the ones the other companies got come out, like with Code Geass from Funimation.

Here's the list of the ones they got back then. Obviously, Big O was the big one, so I think it was a given that was coming out sooner or later. It's been so long I've been wondering if they're just gonna sit on the others. Did I miss anything, or have they not released or made any concrete plans for the others on that list yet?
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Finally Very Happy Hoping they do a good job with the PQ on it
nagpo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Great news! Been waiting on this for years.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. Still no ryvius / crest (funi). Sad face.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see School Life getting a CE. It does seem odd to release The Big O on BD only, but I have not seen much complaining about it.
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
If Kino was getting a Blu ray release I'd consider it but I have a DVD set already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
The Big O a definite pickup. Already have Kino's Journey. Yay for School Live! getting a dub and a Limited Edition release! Chipboard box, Booklet and its got a soundtrack! But seriously what's with the spine of the box? Some of the girls knees? I hate when wraparound art gets lazy. And stickers? Not again (groan), come on not all of us are five years old Sentai. Rolling Eyes

Still I will be buying it, just wont be pre-ordering after getting screwed over with Knights of Sidonia part 2. Throw in Ajin LE in May and it looks like Sentai is making a serious bid for my money this year.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I suppose we won't be getting a nice box to hold the show. I guess it isn't popular enough to warrant premium packaging. Either that or Sunrise Won't clear it.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Man, I don't have a blu-ray player Sad
Guess I can't get Big O.

Fortunately if a $50+ TV show is within your budget you can afford a blu-ray player!
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Glad to see some of those former Bandai titles that were scattered across the galaxy after they were shut down come back. We've already been seeing some of the ones the other companies got come out, like with Code Geass from Funimation.

Here's the list of the ones they got back then. Obviously, Big O was the big one, so I think it was a given that was coming out sooner or later. It's been so long I've been wondering if they're just gonna sit on the others. Did I miss anything, or have they not released or made any concrete plans for the others on that list yet?

I've heard secondhand over the years that Sunrise is one of the hardest studios for overseas licensors to deal with, because they can often be extremely slow to provide the master tapes and other materials that licensors need for a proper DVD release, especially when it comes to their older catalog titles. Note that in addition to Sentai's announcement, on that same day back in 2013 Funimation also announced a boatload of Sunrise acquisitions (here and here), and we're still waiting on most of those, too. Bebop came out about a year later, but it took them three years to finally get Escaflowne and Code Geass back out on the market, and the rest are still nowhere to be seen.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I suspect Sunrise provides materials roughly in descending order of a show's importance to Sunrise in Japan, which is why we saw Bebop early, but got to Code Geass and Big O only once we were deep into the US release of the Gundam catalog. I mean, Tomino doesn't like V Gundam, but it got its US release the same day as Geass on Blu-ray, which sure makes it look like Sunrise is prioritizing their flagship franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3