• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Couple Of Things On "Yuri!!! On Ice"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
For months now,I've heard a lot about this show "Yuri!!! On Ice." While I freely admit this show's not for me,I thought it'd be a good idea to throw my two cents in. Many of you will ask "Snomaster1,why are you going to comment on a show that you yourself said you have little interest in watching?" Just like my comment with "Dragon Ball Super,"it's a good idea that all voices be heard,even a dispassionate voice like mine. Besides,even if what I've got to say improves the quality of the show,even if I never see it,it'll be worth it to those who do. I've heard that might be a second season or movie based on this show so it might be interesting to hear from someone who might not be the biggest fan in the world but it might help improve the show overall and might make it better for it's fans.
To start things off,I've heard that a couple of real life figure skaters were used in this production. One of them was French or Swiss,I'm not really sure. For me,I thought that,if there's going to be a movie or a second season of this anime,the creators of this show might want to use this woman as one of their commentators in either version,if it ever shows up. You might not like my idea but I hope you guys can hear me out and who knows,you might agree with me as well.

Her name is Rena Inoue. She's a Japanese-born skater who's skated for both Japan and the United States.. And,she's been doing it since she was four years old. She competed for Japan in the 1994 Winter Olympics as a single skater and a doubles skater a couple of years earlier. When she moved to the United States,she competed with a guy named John Baldwin in both the 2001 and 2002 U.S. Championships.
In 2006,they made skating history by landing the first successful throw triple axel in an international competition. They continued competing for many years,becoming engaged to each other in 2008. Three years before that happened,she became an American citizen. To be honest,there'd be a lot of advantages in using this gal. She's originally from Japan but later became a U.S. citizen so she knows both Japanese and English and would be a great asset if she dubbed the show in both languages. What do you think? Is this a good idea or not?

I also heard about a little controversy on this show. A controversy I found really stupid. It was about a similarly themed TV movie called "Love On Ice" for the Hallmark Channel. The movie was about a female figure skater in a career slump who enters into a relationship with her new male coach. While both shows dealt with similar themes,they were different. "Yuri!!!" had a same-sex relationship while "Love" had a more traditional romantic relationship.
Fans of the anime went ape over this and they accused the Hallmark Channel of plagiarism. Which was kind of silly because,according to the producers,filming of "Love On Ice" began in November 2016,which was a month after the anime first began broadcasting in Japan. Also,according to the Hallmark Channel,no one involved in the movie had any idea that this anime even existed. Even the creator of "Yuri" said that it was just a coincidence about these two shows. To me,the whole thing was stupid and unnecessary. It also made anime fans look like complete nitwits who jumped to the wrong conclusions. Hopefully,others can learn a few things and not make those same mistakes in the future.

So,what does everyone think about this? Please leave some comments below. I'd love to read them,whether they're good or bad. I'd appreciate it a lot if you guys did that. I'd be grateful if there were some here. I'd like it a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1