• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sega Ages Project's Out Run Game Launches on November 29

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:55 am Reply with quote
Ah, Out Run. Takes me back to my teenage years and playing this in arcades. And spending what little cash I had! And dating myself. Erk.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
Admittedly if someone wants to play Outrun, they just need to buy a Yakuza game. It’s been a bonus game in every one since 0. Still, it’s nice to have it on its own and on the go.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Admittedly if someone wants to play Outrun, they just need to buy a Yakuza game. It’s been a bonus game in every one since 0. Still, it’s nice to have it on its own and on the go.

Sure. Buy a game I do not want to get one I do want.

...there's just something wrong with that image.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Well first, more people should be playing Yakuza, and second, I did leave the caveat that it’s nice to have said game on its own. And portable as well.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Time has progressed to such an extent that not only is the original ROM playable on anything, but the entire game has been unofficially disassembled. Many devices can now play a version that exceeds the limitations of the arcade's original while retaining all the same assets and behaviour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
Well, I do have the game on the 3DS (and with a nifty 3D effect to boot), so it's not like I*m missing out. I just find it amusing (and mildly irritating) that in some cases, buying a completely different game is the only way to play a game you might want. It's a.... roundabout way of going about it.

Sure, it's kind of neat that you can do this -- older arcade games aren't any more space and processor consuming than that you can play them inside another game already running -- but I still kind of miss the days where arcade and/or console collections were more normal. Taito collections, Namco collections, Capcom collections, Sega collections.... (And I'm not talking just the one for the Megadrive that just got released, although I certainly appreciate that one too.)

Oh well.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
What no Afterburner? boo I say.. boo!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1