• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Tuxedo Mask Voice Actor Toru Furuya

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I've often felt the same way that it seems like Dragon Ball is more popular with American fans than Gundam though I never considered that Dragon Ball might not be as big in Japan as it is in the US. I would love to see Furuya cosplay as Tuxedo Mask.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:18 pm Reply with quote
One of the most prolific voice actors in Japan. He's seriously impressive for working at it for a little over fifty years now.

Quote:
Gundam is really designed for adults, where it talks about real human wars and is a real human story. On the other hand, Dragon Ball is a simple, fun story that kids can understand. I think Americans really take to that cheerful, optimistic story.

Interesting Furuya thinks that. North America normally gets stereotyped (and made fun of) for loving dark and gritty war stories of doom where almost everyone except the main soldier protagonist dies, while Japan is the country that loves the cheerful, colorful Doraemon level of cuteness and lasting friendship in storytelling. Nice to see he doesn't stereotype, but he has that a bit wrong.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Furuya has still barely aged in decades. He must be washing his face with Tokyo tap water, like Araki.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Furuya has still barely aged in decades. He must be washing his face with Tokyo tap water, like Araki.

And his voice when doing Amuro in Gundam Origin sounded exactly the same, frighteningly so.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
He was also the original VA for Mario and Casshern from Casshern Sins.

Last edited by Heishi on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I've often felt the same way that it seems like Dragon Ball is more popular with American fans than Gundam though I never considered that Dragon Ball might not be as big in Japan as it is in the US. I would love to see Furuya cosplay as Tuxedo Mask.

This comment feels pretty odd, since Dragon Ball used to be the biggest selling manga ever in Japan before One Piece. In a country, where more people read comics than in the U.S., that must count for something.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

And his voice when doing Amuro in Gundam Origin sounded exactly the same, frighteningly so.

I guess Newtypes age differently than the rest of us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
After reading this interview, I stumbled over a news report on youtube about the current success of the movie Bohemian Rhapsody at the japanese box office. Coincidentally, Toru Furuya is the narrator. That shows how versatile he is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

This comment feels pretty odd, since Dragon Ball used to be the biggest selling manga ever in Japan before One Piece. In a country, where more people read comics than in the U.S., that must count for something.
'

I think that (both of?) you are interpreting it wrong. He's not saying that "Dragon Ball is not as big in Japan as it is in the US." He's saying that "Dragon Ball is not as popular as Gundam in Japan, because there's always new Gundam stuff coming out every year but Dragon Ball took enough years off that the fandom faded a bit" but "Dragon Ball is more popular than Gundam in the US." The latter is definitely true, especially when you talk about what "non anime fans" have at least passing familiarity with.

I would more say that the reason that Gundam isn't as big in the US is competition from domestic franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars, whereas Dragon Ball fills a different niche. Similar to how sports anime don't do well because average people will watch American sports shows or movies.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
It's always funny at panels when people ask about Sougetsu Noboru. You have the people who get it, and those who don't. Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

I would more say that the reason that Gundam isn't as big in the US is competition from domestic franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars, whereas Dragon Ball fills a different niche. Similar to how sports anime don't do well because average people will watch American sports shows or movies.
I think a lot of it also had to do with the way Gundam was marketed in the US. Bandai and Toonami started it off big with Gundam Wing which was a sizeable hit but I think gave a lot of American fans the wrong impression of what to expect from Gundam and by the time they got around to showing 0079, it was considered too old for the casual younger market.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:46 am Reply with quote
That reminds me, Kimagure Orange Road blu-ray coming soon(2019 hopefully). I wish Discotek would get him to do interview or commentary.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:09 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
That reminds me, Kimagure Orange Road blu-ray coming soon(2019 hopefully). I wish Discotek would get him to do interview or commentary.

Someone should contact him for AnimeNEXT or Otakon then. That was how Viz was able to interview him for Sailor Moon SuperS because he was booked for Anime Boston last year and was also one of the guests at their Sailor Moon panel and he and his agency also promoted that release after filming was done.

He was also a guest at their panel at this convention but I doubt they filmed anything for Stars or something would have.been posted by his agency like they did for this interview and the Kanzenshuu interview.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Casshern from Casshern Sins.

It's how I learned about him (and his history). Up until after I watched CS, I never really paid attention to VAs in anime, but I knew of a handful. I was so struck by Furuya's performance I had to look this guy up to find more of his stuff; I couldn't believe this guy did Amuro and Tuxedo Mask of all people. It even got me to watch all of the original Saint Seiya anime just because he starred in it.

So, yeah. This guy's awesome.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I guess Newtypes age differently than the rest of us.

And yet,they don't let him voice Seiya anymore...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2