• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Banished From The Heroes' Party Novel 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Until I read the gender of the MC I fully expected the girl on the cover was, think it was because I recently read “roll over and die” and “the saints magic power is omnipotent”. That said the book looks interesting, albeit not quite as exciting/high energy as some.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...meaning that author Zappon appears to be using the idea more as a shortcut to making their point about the characters' strengths and skills rather than a base upon which the entire story is built.

I think the opposite is true. One thing I really like about this story is how the mechanics have a tangible influence on the characters instead of simply being a measure of power. Maybe that is not evident in the first volume outside of hinting at it with Ruti, though. It has been ages since I read it and this review is pretty much spot on.

This is one of those good, not great series I lapsed on. The romance is definitely underdeveloped to start, but I enjoyed watching it grow and appreciated the absence of a harem. Maybe I will pick it up again soon. Could certainly use the stress relief.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I was getting my 'banished from the party' light novels mixed up. I thought this one was where the protagonist was 'banished' by enslavement. But now I remember it.

In some way the Hero is bound by the rules of her character, much like Ains Ooal Gown in Overlord.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I was getting my 'banished from the party' light novels mixed up. I thought this one was where the protagonist was 'banished' by enslavement. But now I remember it.

Can totally understand that. The circumstances here are awfully similar to Roll Over and Die, enough so that I have to wonder if this gimmick is part of a trend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seagloom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Can totally understand that. The circumstances here are awfully similar to Roll Over and Die, enough so that I have to wonder if this gimmick is part of a trend.

It's a subgenre unto itself. There aren't been too many licensed titles with this premise to my knowledge, but it's fairly common. Some of them go the living quietly route like this series; while others go the protagonist is actually OP and surpasses their old group route. The latter is further stratified between kindly protagonists and cruel edgelord revenge seekers.

Regardless, all these stories start the same way: main character is kicked out of their party for some petty reason.

Last edited by Seagloom on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there is even one where all the characters got kicked out of their party and are making a rejects only party.

What can i Say, i really like how as a Reader You have this conflicto of wanting the Main couple to just be happy, But also You want them back in the front lunes because things are Bad there.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
Key wrote:

It's a subgenre unto itself. There aren't been too many licensed titles with this premise to my knowledge, but it's fairly common. Some of them go the living quietly route like this series; while others go the protagonist is actually OP and surpasses their old group route. The latter is further stratified between kindly protagonists and cruel edgelord revenge seekers.

Regardless, all these stories start the same way: main character is kicked out of their party for some petty reason.

I recall a webnovel author mentioning on their Syosetu account that the "banished from group for some reason" subgenre is quite popular with the webnovel readerbase there.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
I recall a webnovel author mentioning on their Syosetu account that the "banished from group for some reason" subgenre is quite popular with the webnovel readerbase there.

Guess that shouldn't surprise me, as it plays to feelings of being rejected (whether by other people or by society in general) that many Japanese otaku can probably relate to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1