• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Primo TV to Premiere New Captain Tsubasa Anime's English Dub on August 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:57 am Reply with quote
You’d think we wouldn’t have to worry about non-streaming, dub-only (non-pokemon) anime licenses in 2018...
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:49 am Reply with quote
KA to the rescue.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:38 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
You’d think we wouldn’t have to worry about non-streaming, dub-only (non-pokemon) anime licenses in 2018...

This is probably a good thing. It will reach a wider audience of kids than Viz can alone.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
If it were for "Hispanic" (has to be in quotes since nobody seems to know what that word actually means) children, why isn't it in Spanish? I know the vast majority of "Hispanic" Americans speak fluent English or even English as a first language, but if it's aiming at the "Hispanicness" of a group, surely it would be in Spanish or at the very least, dual audio.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to believe it's airing on a channel with less carriage than UTB Hollywood.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

This is probably a good thing. It will reach a wider audience of kids than Viz can alone.

This channel is in very few homes. To put its obscurity into context, their Twitter account has been around for 18 months and only has 59 followers.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
If it were for "Hispanic" (has to be in quotes since nobody seems to know what that word actually means) children, why isn't it in Spanish? I know the vast majority of "Hispanic" Americans speak fluent English or even English as a first language, but if it's aiming at the "Hispanicness" of a group, surely it would be in Spanish or at the very least, dual audio.

It's more of a "in general interest" to bilingual/English-speaking Hispanics, particularly kids and young teens (don't quite remember if it started off with Spanish language programming, but they have live-action shows that feature Latino actors and hosts, as well general-fare, kiddy CG-animated shows). Still, even by way of other kids- and Latino-based channels, Primo TV is still an odd case with their slate of programming, in general.

I can only assume somebody there is an anime fan, as well, if they're airing the original You're Under Arrest series (in all of its VHS-quality glory) at night, along with other anime and faux-anime titles, and somehow also got the new Captain Tsubasa, too. It's all weird, but can't fault them for trying. And hey, it's another place to watch some anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

How so? Streaming, cable, and network TV collectively reach a wide audience. One would think putting it on Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, or Cartoon Network would have been a better choice.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

How so? Streaming, cable, and network TV collectively reach a wide audience. One would think putting it on Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, or Cartoon Network would have been a better choice.

I can't think of any other kids' sports anime on any American TV channels (unless Pokemon can be classified as "sports"). So I figure better an obscure channel than no channel. It's up to Viz to release it on disc (and hopefully stream it) in a way that will get an even bigger audience.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

Cartoon Network Latin America already broadcasts it.
Titus-A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Wait.... a FOOTBALL anime, FOOTBALL AS IN ACTUAL FOOTBALL is getting and English dub?!
Winger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I've heared Tsubasa's mom's voice in the AICO Incarnation dub, since both dubs were produced in Miami. Does anyone have any information about the studio or rest of the cast?
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've heared Tsubasa's mom's voice in the AICO Incarnation dub, since both dubs were produced in Miami. Does anyone have any information about the studio or rest of the cast?

It's another Miami dub. There's a cast list on the show's encyclopedia page.

Here's a new clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWvCRpMz2OU
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1