Press Releases - May 2008
- Lolita and Maid Fashion Day at Kinokuniya ()
- Popular Manga Creator Hiro Mashima Coming to the United States ()
- Satoshi Kon: Beyond Imagination, June 27 – July 1 ()
- Tokyopop Acquires Book Publishing Rights to Goth: A Novel of Horror ()
- Tokyopop and HarperCollins Publishers Let the Cats Out of the Bag with Launch of All New Manga Series ()
- Survive the Summer!!! Metro Survive Vol.2, Chinese Hero Vol.6, Magic Lover's Tower Vol.1&2 Available Now! ()
- Viz Media Debuts New Naruto Chapter Book Series at 2008 Book Expo America ()
- Viz Media Showcases a Variety of New Titles at 2008 BookExpo America Show ()
- Anime Expo® 2008 Going Mad ()
- Score Entertainment at Anime Expo® 2008 ()
- Right Stuf & Nozomi Entertainment Launch Official Site for Emma: A Victorian Romance – emma.rightstuf.com ()
- Viz Media Announces DVD Release of Pokémon: The Rise of Darkrai ()
- Released: Cosmode Online #001 - Cosplay 1st Graders Starting Today! ()
- Naoyoshi Shiotani's Directorial Debut "Tokyo Marble Chocolate" wins Grand Prize at the I2th Seoul International Cartoon & Animation Festival (SICAF 2OO8) ()
- Sci Fi Channel to Broadcast Gurren Lagann ()
- Bandai Entertainment to Release “Sword of the Stranger” ()
- Red Planet Media Launches FUNimation Channels Mobile VideoonDemand Service with Two Exciting Anime Titles ()
- Right Stuf's Anime Today Interviews Gurren Lagann Producer Toshifumi Yoshida of Bandai Entertainment ()
- Otakon announces Kappei Yamaguchi ()
- Anime Fan/Writer Appeals to Toronto Animation Fandom ()
- Announcing Ayabie's First US Tour ()
- Otakuthon 2008 Announces Spike Spencer as Guest of Honour ()
- Bang Zoom! Entertainment Announces “Adventures in Voice Acting” Volume One on DVD ()
- Witchblade “Rihoko Amaha” – 7 ½” PVC Figure ()
- Dark Horse Deluxe Announces Exclusive Comic-Con International Domo Variant ()
- Critical Mass Video Announces August 26 Release a Double Scoop of Vanilla: Bound Beauties (Slave Sisters / Slaves To Passion) ()
- Right Stuf's Nozomi Entertainment Announces August 26 Release of the To Heart DVD Collection ()
- Crunchyroll to Stream ADV's Welcome to the N.H.K. ()
- Para Para Hits Maximum at Anime Expo® 2008 ()
- AnimeNEXT 2008 to Host the East Coast Convention Premiere of Death Note ()
- eigoMANGA Appearing at Apple Stores ()
- Anime Festival Orlando 9 Announces Additional Guest ()
- Budo Grape from Nagoya Japan - June 5th Knitting Factory ()
- Drmaster Publications & Flash Frame Omake Proudly Present the Yasushi Suzuki Art Exhibit ()
- Tsubasacon to Host Maid Café ()
- Viz Media's Shonen Jump Welcomes Bleach Manga Creator Tite Kubo for Ultra-Rare Appearance at 2008 San Diego Comic-Con International ()
- Seiyuu Seki to Attend Anime Expo® 2008 ()
- Viz Pictures and NCM Fathom Debut Live Action Japanese Feature Death Note on the Big Screen ()
- Nation's Best Masquerade Show Goes Online ()
- Dream Soldier Wingman “Wingman Guarder” – 6” PVC Figure ()
- New York Asian Film Festival Line-Up ()
- FUNimation Entertainment Acquires Highly-Anticipated Epic Anime Series Romeo x Juliet from GDH K.K. ()
- Animax Aims to Redefine the Entertainment Experience with Project “LaMB” ()
- FUNimation Entertainment Acquires Shigurui: Death Frenzy ()
- Anime Festival Orlando 9 Announces YouTube™ Contest ()
- T-MODE to Give Away Free Passes to Death Note Movie ()
- Viz Media Partners with Hot Topic to Support Death Note Live-Action Film Event ()
- Right Stuf's Nozomi Entertainment Unveils Trailer & Details for Maria Watches Over Us - Season 1 at mariasama.rightstuf.com ()
- MC Chris to Perform at New York Anime Festival ()
- Funimation Announces Acquisition of Strain ()
- Anime World Order Podcast Interviews Anime Director Noboru Ishiguro ()
- Viz Media and NCM Fathom Team Up for U.S. Premiere of Highly Anticipated Animated Feature Bleach the Movie: Memories of Nobody ()
- Funimation Announces Acquisition of Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino ()
- Apple Store Hosts In-Store Events for eigoMANGA in Two Cities ()
- Zenkaikon 2008 Announces Third Round of Guests ()
- Castle of Shikigami III on Wii™ Barrages into Retail Today ()
- Viz Pictures Announces DVD Release of Live Action Feature Film - Honey & Clover ()
- Atlus Announces Gritty Strategy RPG Zoids Assault for Xbox 360 ()
- Statement from ImaginAsian Entertainment on TMS Classics DVD Titles ()
- Funimation Announces Kenichi ()
- 4Kids Entertainment Reports First Quarter 2008 Results ()
- Mediacorp Partners Madhouse Inc for Computer Generated "3D Anime" Feature Film – Yona Yona Penguin ()
- Vexille to be Screened at the Japan Information and Culture Center, Embassy of Japan ()
- FanimeCon 2008 Charity Auction Announces Matching Program in support of Asian Perinatal Advocates and The Springstone School ()
- Super Robot Wars: OG-Divine Wars Episode 1 Streaming on dot-anime.us ()
- FUNimation Entertainment Acquires Save Me! Lollipop from Kodansha ()
- Otakon 2008 Announces Richard Epcar and Ellyn Stern ()
- South Kent School Welcomes First “Slam Dunk” Scholarship Winner ()
- LDMS: Nobody Does It Better than Mylene Hoffman in 009-1! ()
- LDMS: Utawarerumono: The Beast Within Released! ()
- LDMS: The Wallflower: My Fair Bishonen Enters the Light! ()
- Win a Free Screening for the Death Note Live-Action Movie ()
- Right Stuf's Anime Today Interviews Vertical, Inc.'s Ioannis Mentzas ()
- Anime Expo® 2008 Invites a Stranger ()
- T-Mode/Tokyo No Records Announce Musical Lineup ()
- Sunrise Mecha Action Series - Might Gain – 6” PVC/ABS/PC Figures ()
- Witchblade “Masane Amaha” – 8” PVC Figure ()
- ALC Publishing and novelist J.D. Glass team up for an "American Goth" story in "Yuri Monogatari 6" ()
- Cobra & Lady Armaroid – 11 ½” PU/ABS Statue ()
- Anime Jungle Los Angeles: Sakuran Showing ()
- Hellsing Collection Figure :: Search & Destroy (Vol.2) :: Reverse Cross (Arucard) & Bayonet (Anderson) – 5 ½” PVC Figures ()
- The Mysterious Cities of Gold ()
- Toynami Resurrects the Classic VF-1 ()
- Zune Expands Beyond Music to Deliver Integrated All-in-One Entertainment Experience ()
- Go! Comi to Publish 07-Ghost ()
- Anime Jungle Los Angeles: 2nd Hentai Anime Event ()
- J-Pop/ Rock band Unicorn Table Introduces New Song at Tora-con! ()
- Renji Murata PSE 1/10 Scale CDB Chair ()
- Producer Toshifumi Yoshida Joins Bandai Entertainment Inc. ()
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time to Begin Playing Theatrically in Los Angeles, New York, and Seattle with English Sub and Dub ()
- Crunchyroll and Think Corp. Announce Anime Innovation Tokyo Digital Content Showcase ()
- Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention This Sunday, May 4, 2008 with Stan Lee, Corinne Orr, Art Clokey, Gumby, and Comic Book Artists Tony Dezuniga, Ernie Chan, and Alex Nino! ()
- Right Stuf's Nozomi Entertainment to Release the Anime Adaptation of Kozue Amano's Aria ()
Some folks find lurid anime sex comedies featuring teenagers like High School DxD deeply offensive, but won't bat an eye at an American live-action sex comedy set in high school. What gives? Justin gets into it. ― Dave asked: Recently an anime company was on facebook promoting an upcoming release of a fanservice heavy show set at a Highschool. The comment section got pretty toxic pretty quickly with...
Paul takes a look at this prequel film that might be better than its source series, along with a breakdown of all this week's new anime releases! ― This week, I learned that those generic plastic Blu-Ray cases are surprisingly resilient. My review copy of No Game, No Life Zero got absolutely pulverized in the mail, to the point where the case now looks like somebody tried really hard to karate chop ...
Beautiful visuals and heartening character work butt up against cheesy dialogue and rushed plotting in the conclusion to ufotable's ambitious JRPG adaptation. ― It's sad to say it, but the second half of the anime adaptation of Tales of Zestiria the X is still suffering from the pacing issues brought about by the inclusion of the Tales of Berseria episodes back in its first cour. What's particularly ...
Mike embarks on a voyage to the Great White North to discover Canada's history of English anime dubs both great and terrible! ― One of the best things about anime being a fairly hot ticket in global entertainment is the multitude of ways it just suddenly shows up, be it in theaters, on TV, or online. Once upon a time, you could keep track of pretty much everything that was being aired and screened in...
We get stories about hapless teens getting spirited away to another world all the time, but what do the native citizens of those fantasy kingdoms think of these interlopers? This quirky light novel series offers their perspective. ― Oh look, another novel about a regular Japanese teenager summoned to a game-like fantasy world as a hero in order to defeat one of those apparently ubiquitous demon lords...
Sometimes scheduling problems lead to recap episodes or unplanned hiatuses, and sometimes they result in an entire show's artwork slipping into insanity. Here are seven of the most memorable animation meltdowns. ― There's a lot of variables that can cause an anime television production to go off schedule and affect the quality of a show. Poor animation quality is not always, or even usually a reflec...
When a traffic accident lands an office worker in the body of an otome game villainess, is there anything she can do to change her fate? Rebecca Silverman finds out. ― If the male-oriented isekai story tends to land our reborn boy protagonist in a position where he becomes the king of his own personal harem, then the female-oriented version is that she gets plopped down in the middle of her favorite ...
In North America we usually bust out the skeletons and draculas in October, but in manga, it seems like summertime is a much spookier season. Deb is ready to explain why! ― Why is Summer considered the season for spooky stories in manga, not Autumn / October like it is in North America? Much as Halloween at the end of October is the holiday that anchors the season for spooks and ghouls in North Amer...
just for fun
ANNCast is back with the audio from our panel at Otakon 2018, featuring special guest Mike Toole! Zac and Mike take a quick tour of 20 years of ANN history, followed by a Q&A session with the audience. ― ANNCast Live at Otakon 2018 ANNCast is back with the audio from our panel at Otakon 2018, featuring special guest Mike Toole! Zac and Mike take a quick tour of 20 years of ANN history, followed by a...
Studio TRIGGER's tokusatsu re-imagining SSSS.GRIDMAN hits this October, and we've got a fun and fascinating in-depth chat with two of the show's staff - animator Masaru Sakamoto and animation director Masato Takeuchi. ― It's a big year for Studio TRIGGER director Akira Amemiya. After helming two well-received short series (the adorable Space Patrol Luluco and the cult smash Inferno Cop), Amemiya has ...
Kazuya Ide, producer for visual effects and animation studio Shirogumi Inc, chats about revisions, his new CG anime from the director of Code Geass, what it takes to put together a CG anime, and the future of animation in Japan. ― Kazuya Ide is a producer for Shirogumi Inc., a visual effects and animation studio in Japan with a decades-long legacy - you've likely seen their work in Shin Godzilla (or ...
Romance and leisure butt heads for the heroine of this grounded and relatable dramedy for adult women. Rebecca Silverman has the details. ― At first blush, Tokyo Alice looks like a manga version of the stereotype that women just love to shop more than anything else in the world. And that is part of what's going on here – Fu Arisugawa is a shopaholic, specifically addicted to brand names and expensive...
Revue Starlight jumps 14 PLACES on the chart to challenge Attack on Titan for the throne! Find out how your favorite shows performed in our weekly user rankings. ― Our team of reviewers are following 27 anime series of the Summer 2018 season and readers are rating each episode as the reviews go up. So let's have a look at what ANN readers consider the best (and worst) of the season. Keep in mind tha...