Press Releases - September 2009
- Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. Details Plans for Yu-Gi-Oh! TRADING CARD GAME Stardust Overdrive Retailer Sneak Peek ()
- Nexon America Opens Cash Shop In Dungeon Fighter Online ()
- Crunchyroll Announces Natsu no Arashi! 2 as Latest Simulcast Addition ()
- DVD Releases for November 2009 from Viz Media ()
- 7-Eleven® Stores Face Total Domo-Nation ()
- New York Int'l Children's Film Festival Presents "Astro Boy" Special Pre-Release Screening ()
- Viz Media Becomes Master Licensor for Gothic Animated Series Vampire Knight ()
- Rockin' Android's Soars High with Release of Newest Title Flying Red Barrel-Diary of a Little Aviator ()
- Viz Cinema to Host the Exclusive Theatrical Premiere of Naruto Shippuden the Movie ()
- Tokyopop & William Morrow Present: Shutter Island Graphic Novel ()
- Becca's U.S. Debut EP Kickin' & Screamin' Out Today on SIN (Sony Independent Network) Available at All Digital Outlets ()
- Crunchyroll and Starchild Cryin' for Some Action ()
- Viz Cinema to Host the Exclusive Theatrical Premiere of Naruto Shippuden the Movie ()
- Otaku Magazine ()
- Crunchyroll and Pony Canyon Enter the Dohyo and Throw Down ‘Sumo Style’ with the Simulcast of Flash Animation Title Naked Wolves ()
- Digital Manga Publishing and Yaoi Press Are Excited to Announce Yaoi Press Titles Now Available on eManga ()
- Barbican Film - Japanimation - 26 October ()
- Nominations Council Meets to Determine APSA Nominees ()
- Viz Media Announces Inuyasha The Final Act Scheduled to Stream in the U.S. Simultaneous to Airing in Japan ()
- Big Cosplay Prizes at AL Club London for the Masquerade and Cosplay Showdown ()
- Crunchyroll to Deliver Fantasy Through Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee ()
- Tora-Con 2010 Announces Dates, Pre-registration, First Guests and Twitter Contest ()
- Fanafare/Ponent Mon Celebrates First SPX Appearance with Duel Title Premiere ()
- Disappearance Diary Captures Two Ignatz Award Nominations for Fanfare/Ponent Mon at 2009 SPX ()
- Right Stuf's ANIME TODAY Talks Acting, Directing and Eureka Seven with Stephanie Sheh ()
- Alteil School Spirits 4 Card Giveaway, Community Tournament, Call for Strategy Articles ()
- Crunchyroll Announces Fall 2009 Simulcast Line Up ()
- Funimation Entertainment Acquires “Initial D” First Through Fourth Stages ()
- Funimation Entertainment Acquires “X” the Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Anime Series from D-Rights ()
- News from NYAF - Day 1 - FUNimation Entertainment Announces Cast of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood ()
- Tokyopop Presents: The Winter 2010 Publishing Lineup ()
- Critical Mass Video Announces January 5, 2010 Release of Anime 18's Night Shift Nurses: Head Nurse DVD ()
- Critical Mass Video Announces January 5, 2010 Release of Anime 18's Demon Beast Invasion: Revival DVD ()
- Critical Mass Video Announces January 5, 2010 Release of Anime 18's Beast City DVD ()
- Critical Mass Video Announces January 5, 2010 Release of Anime 18's La Blue Girl: Carnal Combat DVD ()
- Digital Manga Publishing Presents Games with Me, Brand New for Online Rental on eManga ()
- Shin Megami Tensei®: Persona® for PSP® (Playstation®Portable) System Now Available in Retailers Across North America; Playstation®Network Version to Release on October 1st ()
- New York Anime Festival Features Top Guests, Screenings, Music and Entertainment ()
- HelloStoreUSA Opens October 1, 2009 ()
- Anime Detroit ()
- Imagi Re-Designation of Directors; Change of Acting Chief Executive Officer; and Appointment of Chairman and Member of Audit Committee ()
- Skills Necessary For Success In Dungeon Fighter Online ()
- Anime Crossroads Convention ()
- Anime Celebrities Auction Autographed Memorabilia to Aid Injured Boy ()
- Reni performing at NYAF Masquerade September 26th ()
- Video Games Live in Japan During Tokyo Game Show 2009 ()
- Anime Kaiju Experience Holds Contest for Tickets to Eureka 7: Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers ()
- Ikasucon Announces 2010 Dates ()
- Alteil Announces Free Pirate Avatar on Saturday September 19, Avatar Sale, Community Tournament ()
- Anime Charity Auctions Announces the Launch of Its MySpace Page to Help Anime Conventions Find Rare and Unique Items for Charity Auctions ()
- Nexon America Delivers Dungeon Fighter Online Open Beta Exciting Action-Adventure Title Will Be Ready for Everyone on September 22 ()
- Tomy Corporation Unveils Second Gameplay Trailer Showing Special Jutsu Attacks for Characters in Naruto™ Shippuden: Clash of Ninja® Revolution 3 ()
- Viz Media Brings the Animated Shojo Title – Honey and Clover – to Fans in a Special Uncut DVD Box Set ()
- Yen Press to Publish Manga Adaptation of #1 NYT Bestselling Author Lisi Harrison's The Clique ()
- Animania in Arlington, VA on September 27 ()
- Shochiku's Endearing Anime Sketchbook to Stream Crunchyroll ()
- Tomy Corporation Announces Gamestop Exclusive Naruto™ Shippuden: Clash of Ninja® Revolution 3 Limited Edition and Pre-Order Bonus Item Details ()
- Viz Media Releases the Teenage Ninja Action Adventure of Naruto Shippuden the Movie on DVD This Fall ()
- DOFUS 2.0 to Be Introduced in Japan at Tokyo Game Show ()
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game Championship September 26-27 in Orlando ()
- HearJapan Unleashes Over 400 Exclusive Live Anime Songs ()
- Tomy Corporation's Naruto™ Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 2 Now Available on Nintendo DS™ ()
- Crunchyroll and Tezuka Productions Continue the Saga of the Award Winning Black Jack Anime with Episodes 14-28 ()
- 212 Films from 43 Countries Enter 2009 Asia Pacific Screen Awards ()
- Dark Horse Announces the Appointment of Dirk Wood as Director of Communications ()
- Zombie Hunter Rika on Sale Today ()
- Viz Media Announces the Pokémon Poster Collection ()
- Pop Japan Travel Presents The Mind Over Manga Tour For Aspiring Manga Artists & Art Lovers ()
- Two Cool Japanese Film Events at New People Next Week ()
- Viz Media Science Fiction Imprint Haikasoru to Debut New Novels Zoo and Usuper of the Sun ()
- Becca's US Debut EP Kickin & Screamin to Street on September 29 at All Digital Outlets ()
- T. O. Entertainment Brings the Worlds of Yoshinobu Akita Together in a Complete Box Set ()
- InuYasha – The Final Act Unleashed Same Week as Japan Across Asia on Animax ()
- 2009 Creative Arts Emmy® Winners ()
- Marvelous Entertainment and Crunchyroll to Stream First Four Subbed Episodes of Koihime Musou ()
- Right Stuf's Anime Today Previews the New York Anime Festival 2009 with Organizers Peter Tatara & Kim Mueller ()
- Free Anime Download on PlayStation Network: Gunslinger Girl - "Distance Between Two: Brother and Sister" ()
- Baby, The Stars Shine Bright Boutique Returns to NYAF ()
- Anime Fan Documentary Casting Call ()
- Tomy Corporation Unleashes Gameplay Trailer Showing Special Jutsu Attacks for Leading Characters Naruto™ Shippuden: Clash of Ninja® Revolution 3 ()
- Viz Media Teams with Disney XD to Present Naruto Shippuden to Audiences This Fall ()
- New York Comic Con & New York Anime Festival Co-Locate in 2010 ()
- Seven Seas' Manga Titles Come to the Amazon Kindle ()
- AKB48 US Debut Concert: Sep. 27 (Sun) ()
- Atlus Wants Your Soul (But is Willing to Settle for Your Attention upon the Newly Released Demon's Souls "Visceral Action" Trailer) ()
- Nexon America Establishes Early Access Beta for Dungeon Fighter Online ()
- Eisner-Nominated Manga: The Complete Guide to Relaunch with 1,825 Graphic Novel Giveaway on Suvudu.com ()
- Highly Anticipated Online Social Networking Site for Anime Fans, Otaku Crush, Launches ()
- Spike TV to Present Encore Presentation of Primetime Emmy-Nominated Afro Samurai: Resurrection this Friday ()
- Daphne in the Brilliant Blue on Sale Today ()
- The Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation Announces New President and Chief Executive Officer ()
- Anime Festival Asia 2009 ()
- Do! Creative!! Contest (Do as Infinity) ()
- WOTA London Announces London's Newest Otaku Club Night ()
- Crunchyroll and Mico Bring Beast Player Erin to the People ()
- Becca's US Debut EP to Street on September 29, Full CD Coming in Early 2010 ()
- Namco Bandai Games Announces the Namco Sounds™ Music Label for iTunes ()
- Meet the Cast of Soul Eater at NYAF ()
- U.S. Television Premiere of Live-Action 'Halo 3: ODST' ()
- Discover Never-Before-Seen Treasures with the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game's Ancient Prophecy from Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. ()
- Softbank Creative Nightmare Digital Photo Book for iPhone/iPod Touch Online Now ()
- Anime Content Available on PlayStation Network ()
- Funi News You Need to Know This Week ()
- Section23 Films Announces November Slate of Anime, J-Horror ()
- Viz To Release Bleach The Movie 2: The DiamondDust Rebellion on DVD ()
- Life and Love Can Be Totally Funny in Poignant Romantic Comedy Fine, Totally Fine Set to Premiere at Viz Cinema ()
- NY Anime Festival and Del Rey Manga Announce NY Anime Festival Pre-Party ()
- Tomy Corporation's Naruto™ Shippuden: Ninja Destiny 2 for Nintendo DS™ Goes Gold ()
- Bakuretsu Con Announces Three New Guests ()
- A.D. Vision Inc Sells ADV Films Assets, Anime Network, Amusement Park Media ()
- Reni's Japanese Maid Show Sep 6th in New York City ()
It's an original anime by Vampire Weekend frontman Ezra Koenig and famous actor Jaden Smith, along with a celebrity voice cast. What could possibly go wrong? Mike Toole investigates Netflix's latest original. ― They finally did it, folks: they animated Jaden Smith's Twitter account. That was what I thought after hearing Smith's character, Kaz, unwind the first of many bizarre pronouncements, in a bid...
just for fun
Zac and Jacob tackle Kenji Kamiyama's Napping Princess, plus the end of summer anime, new movies, and plenty of your questions! ― ANNCast Episode 306 - Nap Squad Zac and Jacob tackle Kenji Kamiyama's Napping Princess, plus the end of summer anime, new movies, and plenty of your questions! You can listen to the show on our player here, direct-download the MP3 version here, check out the show on Stitc...
Japan has an ocean of stage musicals based on anime, from Naruto to Sailor Moon - why don't they ever get released in the States? Justin considers the angles. ― Bunny asked: Sailor Moon's new musical cast were guests at a state anime convention, but I don't see it getting much further than that. We only have fansubs as a source, but I'd like to support it legally. I was wondering what would it take ...
The producer behind these anime-style action RPGs shares his inspirations as a developer and his ambitions for the simultaneous worldwide release of Code Vein! ― A long-time employee at Bandai Namco Entertainment, Yosuke Tomizawa is best known as the producer for the God Eater franchise. The God Eater games feature co-op multiplayer monster hunting within a story-focused experience. He is currently w...
So besides T&A, what is this season's Classroom of the Elite really about? Gabriella Ekens explores its takes on Nietzsche, Rousseau, and even other anime! ― What's the best way to organize society? How much power should be vested in the general population versus an elite leadership? And how should people be educated as to their best interests and true capabilities? Political philosophers have been m...
DBZ's saga comes to a close as heroes gather from across the universe to defeat Buu once and for all. Sam Leach dives into the conclusion to Toriyama's original epic. ― It's time for the final installment, not just of The Final Chapters, but of DBZ Kai as a whole. Before the recent movies and Dragon Ball Super, this was the definitive climax of Akira Toriyama's work. Appropriately, the Buu saga is ma...
Now that Re:CREATORS has concluded, did it live up to the promise of its premise? This week in anime, we break down where the series soared and where it sank. ― Now that Re:CREATORS has come to an end, did the show live up to the promise of its premise? This week in anime, Nick and Jacob break down where the series soared and where it sank. Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by the particip...
The screenwriter behind next season's URAHARA offers insights about how anime fandom has changed over the years and how Crunchyroll is perceived within the industry. ― Natsuko Takahashi is a veteran writer in the anime industry, having worked on the screenplay for projects like Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Moyashimon, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Although she wasn't officially announced as a gu...
Dustin gets wet and wild with the girls of Senran Kagura on the PS4, along with this week's biggest news and other new game releases! ― You may have heard that homebrew developers—hackers, if you're feeling nasty—found a fully emulated version of NES Golf on board every shipping Nintendo Switch. After seemingly endless mystery surrounding why the ROM was there, they eventually discovered how to activ...
This straight-to-Netflix shonen manga adaptation is finally available to own on home release! Rebecca Silverman finds out if it was worth the wait. ― After an initial run on Netflix, the anime adaptation of The Seven Deadly Sins has arrived on Blu Ray and DVD. This season, which covers roughly the first fifteen volumes of Nakaba Suzuki's original manga, is a combination of interesting references to t...
Sentai Filmworks made a big announcement about phasing out DVDs forever - but why? Justin has a few ideas... ― Jake asked: I was reading a recent article that stated Sentai Filmworks was essentially phasing out their DVD releases by 2019 and are primarily going to release Blu-ray only with a few exceptions. I know you have got this question in the past on who buys DVD's Vs. Blu-rays which seems to b...
One of anime's most prolific screenwriters discusses his legacy of work on Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell, and what it takes to succeed as a writer in the industry. ― Dai Sato is one of anime's most prolific and accomplished screenwriters. He was the series composer for Eureka Seven and Ergo Proxy, and also wrote individual episodes for numerous series including Cowb...
Many anime revolve around the lives of otaku and other oddballs, but how many actually get their depictions right? Paul Jensen shares his best recommendations. ― The video game-themed comedy Gamers! has drawn a fair amount of attention this season, and not just for its wicked sense of humor. This show seems to have a strength that many anime series try and fail to obtain; it feels like Gamers really ...
Samus is back in this expansive, extensive remake of Game Boy original Metroid II, but can it capture that old Metroid feeling? Dustin suits up to find out... ― There's a lot of bombast to a title like Samus Returns. Not just a nod to the original Metroid II subhead, this is indeed the return of Samus after an interminable hiatus for the Metroid franchise. It's been thirteen years since the last 2D M...
What did this anime about fictional characters confronting their makers have to say about the creative process? This week in anime, we tackle the conclusion of Sota and Altair's story. ― Re:CREATORS is a story about fictional characters meeting the people who created them, but just how far does its metafictional rabbit hole go? This week in anime, Micchy and Steve follow Sota and Altair's tale all th...
To call the end of Danganronpa "shocking" would be an understatement! Jacob Chapman takes on the controversial final chapter in this SPOILER-FREE review. ― Prior to the release of this (second?) conclusion to the main Danganronpa trilogy, series creator Kazutaka Kodaka was emphatic in several interviews that this "new semester" would be completely open to newcomers. While it would bring closure to th...
It may never grab the spotlight like other long-running JRPG series, but the Ys games have a long legacy and a strong pedigree. With a new game on the horizon, here's everything a beginner needs to know. ― At one time a premier role-playing franchise that stood toe-to-toe against the likes of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, a variety of factors prevented Nihon Falcom's Ys from achieving the mainstrea...